Release candidate 3

<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 27 Sep 2014, 12:07

Release candidate 3

The third release candidate r6618 is ready. Everyone on our beta tester mailing list should receive an email soon. If you are not on the mailing list and would like to be please send me a PM or email contact@kamremake.com

We have fixed a lot of bugs since the previous release candidate, thanks to everyone who sent us bug reports. You can view a list of bugs fixed here:
http://www.kamremake.com/RC3_r6618_Changes.txt

Needs testing: (send us feedback)
- Back to lobby feature in multiplayer (does it cause any errors/crashes?)
- Replays (do they crash in long games?)
- New campaign On Foreign Lands (is it winnable and fun?)
- New singleplayer maps (are they winnable and fun?)
- Script coders: Lots of new commands in this release
- Script coders: The new CampiagnData feature needs testing (see the wiki page)

Happy beta testing :)
<<

Michalpl

Sword Fighter

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 27 Sep 2014, 14:11

Re: Release candidate 3

Lewin Something get very wrong it crashes when i try to pick a map i have sent the bug raport please fix it
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 27 Sep 2014, 15:43

Lewin Something get very wrong it crashes when i try to pick a map i have sent the bug raport please fix it
Thanks for the report. I sent out an update to fix this bug, now it's r6619. Check your email.
<<

RandomLyrics

Sword Fighter

Post 27 Sep 2014, 15:51

Bug with GroupBlockOrders, u still can control groups with minimap.
Unit control: I found out that, by clicking on the minimap, you are able to control your groups. It is nice for sending troops either north or south, but it can be abused very easily.
<<

Esthlos

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 27 Sep 2014, 16:53

You forgot to add States.LocationCount to the wiki. :P
Just when you think you know something, you have to look at it in another way, even though it may seem silly or wrong. You must try! - John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"
<<

Esthlos

Knight

Post 27 Sep 2014, 17:42

The game stopped saving error logs from scripts after the first one.
Just when you think you know something, you have to look at it in another way, even though it may seem silly or wrong. You must try! - John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"
<<

sado1

Council Member

Post 27 Sep 2014, 21:24

Hm, Lewin, is it really necessary to show all errors (even warnings) in the game? I think showing them in Script Validator only (as hints/warnings), would be better instead. Currently it scares away players, and even scripters, from what I see.
EDIT
From another topic:
@Lewin
There is a problem with RandomLyrics' script for Furious Warriors. He blocked unit control, but I found out that by selecting a group and clicking on the minimap you can still control them. It is easy to abuse at the start of the game, synchronizing your troops with your allies' or sending them to the bottom instead of top or vice-versa.
Funny... I just tested it on Ambushed. This is a way more serious bug, it works in fights on non-scripted maps as well. If you spam clicks on minimap, you are actually able to retreat with most of the troops that are not caught.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 28 Sep 2014, 02:02

Bug with GroupBlockOrders, u still can control groups with minimap.
Unit control: I found out that, by clicking on the minimap, you are able to control your groups. It is nice for sending troops either north or south, but it can be abused very easily.
Thanks, fixed it.
You forgot to add States.LocationCount to the wiki. :P
Done.
Only the first error is shown on screen, since errors can occur in places like OnTick which would spam the player with thousands of error messages. Messages after the first one will be written to the log file (check the newest file in the Logs folder).
Hm, Lewin, is it really necessary to show all errors (even warnings) in the game? I think showing them in Script Validator only (as hints/warnings), would be better instead. Currently it scares away players, and even scripters, from what I see.
It's supposed to scare you away, since it means the script hasn't been tested properly :P What kind of errors/warnings do you think shouldn't be shown? (give some examples you have seen) Warnings that the script validator shows you (like variable unused) will not be displayed in-game since they are fairly harmless. Most of the errors you are seeing are probably "Mistake in script usage", which are important errors since they mean the command failed to execute. Script authors should take these errors seriously and perform the necessary checks to make sure they don't happen. These errors happen at runtime and cannot be detected by the script validator.

There are probably a lot of scripts generating errors in RC3 that will need fixing, please report those problems to the map author and get them to send a fixed version to me.
@Lewin
There is a problem with RandomLyrics' script for Furious Warriors. He blocked unit control, but I found out that by selecting a group and clicking on the minimap you can still control them. It is easy to abuse at the start of the game, synchronizing your troops with your allies' or sending them to the bottom instead of top or vice-versa.
Funny... I just tested it on Ambushed. This is a way more serious bug, it works in fights on non-scripted maps as well. If you spam clicks on minimap, you are actually able to retreat with most of the troops that are not caught.
Yeah, it wasn't doing any checks for right clicking on the minimap. I've fixed it.
<<

Esthlos

Knight

Post 28 Sep 2014, 08:07

Only the first error is shown on screen, since errors can occur in places like OnTick which would spam the player with thousands of error messages. Messages after the first one will be written to the log file (check the newest file in the Logs folder).
I was referring to the Log folder... there is only one file, the first. :P
Newer files do not get saved, even though the in-game message says otherwise.

To put it into contest: I tested Ambushed - FoW and got the first log file. Fixed it, then went on to update and fix Golden Cliffs - Bonus, but the only log file there still was the one from Ambushed - FoW.
Then I checked its time, and it was roughly of when I started testing Ambushed - FoW, so I suppose that not even new logs from the same map got saved.
(It took me a few test games to find the faulty line of code)
<<

Remake 2012

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 28 Sep 2014, 08:24

Hello

This is not a complete translation into Polish.
The sentences go beyond the frame.

<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

Post 28 Sep 2014, 08:30

Hello

This is not a complete translation into Polish.
The sentences go beyond the frame.

Please report this in the Translation section. Create a new topic for the Polish translation.
<<

Remake 2012

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 28 Sep 2014, 08:35

nothing
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 28 Sep 2014, 15:01

I was referring to the Log folder... there is only one file, the first. :P
Newer files do not get saved, even though the in-game message says otherwise.

To put it into contest: I tested Ambushed - FoW and got the first log file. Fixed it, then went on to update and fix Golden Cliffs - Bonus, but the only log file there still was the one from Ambushed - FoW.
Then I checked its time, and it was roughly of when I started testing Ambushed - FoW, so I suppose that not even new logs from the same map got saved.
(It took me a few test games to find the faulty line of code)
The log file is not just for the script, it's for helping us debug the game too (the log file has existed for years before KaM Remake had scripting). So it doesn't create one log file per script error, it creates a log file every time you start the game and adds to it while the game runs. So if you start the game and spend 10 hours playing 100 different maps without closing the game, you will still only have 1 log file, but that file will have details of all the maps you played. But if you close and start the game between playing each map you will end up with one log file per map.

If you look through your log you should see where it loaded the second map Golden Cliffs - Bonus (search for the map name). The script errors for that map will be below that.
<<

Esthlos

Knight

Post 28 Sep 2014, 15:10

Oh. Didn't notice, sorry.
<<

cmowla

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Expert

Post 29 Sep 2014, 02:56

I played Invasion in r6619 and I paused it several times (I was cooking some beans at the same time). The replay didn't break! My computer froze several times for a fraction of a second as well (this was another event which happened in release candidate 2 which I thought possibly caused my Invasion replay to break).

So it's possible that Lewin fixed the replay breaking problem. :) I didn't reload saves, however, and therefore I don't know if replays still break from that or not.

(You're welcome, Skypper, I'm glad you liked and chose to use my storyline. :) )
cmowla Invasion (r6619).zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Invasion won: with 0 losses and without save reloads|TSK 20 in 4.47 minutes|Border of Life Co-op Won in 1h33m55s|The Official KaM Speedrun Page
What makes me an Expert isn't my skill in of itself but my desire to win big.

Return to “General / Questions”