Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Trees: Palms - cuttable or not; Trees selfspreading or not?

<<

Dreamkiller

Militia

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 30 Jul 2013, 16:22

Trees: Palms - cuttable or not; Trees selfspreading or not?

When I started creating the missing sprites for cutting down palms there was the problem that someone want to hide things in their map behind them. So I was thinking about a compromise. How about making a option in the editor if the palms are cuttable or not. Just a simple checkbox and a new variable saved in the map file.

(Every finished map have automaticly the setting uncuttable: no variable = uncuttable so no change in the maps needed).

Then there could be a symbol in the loby or in a message when starting the map or a little symbol on the top right corner after start:

When cuttable:

When uncuttable:

And I have another idea, too. It would be a cool option to let trees spread by itself. So you have to fight against the growing forest. It could be just another checkbox like in that first case in this topic.

When selfspreading:

When not selfspreading:

So the mappers would have a new nice option to give the map a dinamic change in time.
Just for example:
(For programming: just give every start tree a random countdown between 4 and 20 min and let it act like a woodcutter who is planting a new tree in its radius when the countdown is over. Place a tree at the new position. And when you want more forestfeeling let the tree die(with a animation when in focus) after spawning the third new tree and place a trunk at its old position). :D

Thanks for reading the ideas. :)
<<

Shadaoe

Knight

Post 30 Jul 2013, 16:26

Re: Trees: Palms - cuttable or not; Trees selfspreading or n

For the idea of spreading forests, we just have to wait to be able to place objects with dynamic scripts, which would make it easy to make a forest grow :p

About the option for cuttable or uncuttable palm trees, why not, that could be a good compromise ;)
<<

Dreamkiller

Militia

Post 30 Jul 2013, 16:27

For the idea of spreading forests, we just have to wait to be able to place objects with dynamic scripts, which would make it easy to make a forest grow :p

About the option for cuttable or uncuttable palm trees, why not, that could be a good compromise ;)

Okay nice, when its possible with scripts than. :D :)
<<

woloszek

Sword Fighter

Post 30 Jul 2013, 16:39

I like this idea. Maybe now, people will not linger :P. How many you have already finished these animations?
<<

Dreamkiller

Militia

Post 30 Jul 2013, 16:43

I like this idea. Maybe now, people will not linger :P. How many you have already finished these animations?
I just started to try things out with them, but I don't want to start if its not in use then. So I have to find a way at first. ;)
<<

woloszek

Sword Fighter

Post 30 Jul 2013, 16:50

At the moment Lewin and Krom should comment on this proposition, imo ;)
<<

Bence791

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 30 Jul 2013, 17:26

1) For me it's okay.
2) Hell no lol. :D
The Kamper is always taking my colour!

<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 30 Jul 2013, 17:28

If we are going to make the palms cutable and plantable, it should be constant. Adding this as a lobby option just seems sloppy to me.
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

ChrisEggII

Sword Fighter

Post 30 Jul 2013, 18:09

I think palms should be able to cut. Tree is a tree. And Ben is totally right. This would be useless option. Also this is annoying, when some tree is blocking and you can't do anything with this.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 30 Jul 2013, 18:27

It would require some reworking of maps, but I'm starting to believe that palms should be able to be planted and cut. Only because we only have two cutable trees that fit in the deserts.

I'd like to see what other mapmakers and the Developers think about this.
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Dreamkiller

Militia

Post 30 Jul 2013, 20:00

If we are going to make the palms cutable and plantable, it should be constant. Adding this as a lobby option just seems sloppy to me.

Jip when you think it should be constant, ok. But I didn't mean as option in the lobby. I mean as option in the map editor and only as info symbol in the lobby.
So you can see, oh I can't or oh I can cut trees in this map. But the mapper is making that option. :P

But constant would be better. :)
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

Post 31 Jul 2013, 05:24

Uncuttable trees are there for the same reason as unwalkable tiles - to make players life harder and make him micro manage around that limitation.

I'm against cuttable/uncuttable option in MapEd. How would a player know if he can count on certain trees being cuttable or not?

Palms have been special since 1998 and they were not designed to be cuttable (see V shaped palms, how would they be ever cut?).
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

Dreamkiller

Militia

Post 31 Jul 2013, 06:25

Uncuttable trees are there for the same reason as unwalkable tiles - to make players life harder and make him micro manage around that limitation.

I'm against cuttable/uncuttable option in MapEd. How would a player know if he can count on certain trees being cuttable or not?

Palms have been special since 1998 and they were not designed to be cuttable (see V shaped palms, how would they be ever cut?).

Okay, that was just an idea, because someone asked me to make this. But then I will not make the graphics. ;)
<<

Esthlos

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 31 Jul 2013, 08:37

I like the idea of trees self-spreading. :D

Just, if you implement this please make only the cuttable ones able to self-spread. :O

(P.S: Is there a way to cut down cuttable trees apart from building a woodcutter's nearby?)
Just when you think you know something, you have to look at it in another way, even though it may seem silly or wrong. You must try! - John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"
<<

Da Revolution

Knight

Post 31 Jul 2013, 09:09

(P.S: Is there a way to cut down cuttable trees apart from building a woodcutter's nearby?)
Placing a vine field right under the tree removes it.
"No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path" - Buddha

Return to “Ideas / Suggestions”