Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

People taking your name/tag

<<

Michalpl

Sword Fighter

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 21 May 2014, 13:41

Re: People taking your name/tag

hmm its should not be posible to remove KaM Remake id, it should be hidden deep into memory or encrypted
<<

Skypper

Knight

Post 21 May 2014, 13:56

and when you uninstal KaM, PC crash, new PC?
Greets Skypper (Totally Insane)

- Beginning map maker -
<<

Michalpl

Sword Fighter

Post 21 May 2014, 14:04

No i did a mistake not memory but registry
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 21 May 2014, 14:05

It's possible that someone else came up with Zippo as a nickname. Unfortunately there isn't much we can do about it, more information about the problems with accounts here: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2200#p37577

You shouldn't trust someone is who they say they are based on their nickname. If you want to verify someone's identity you should contact them another way like Skype or TeamSpeak.
hmm its should not be posible to remove KaM Remake id, it should be hidden deep into memory or encrypted
Could you describe (or link to) an algorithm that hides something deep in memory? I'm not sure I understand what you are talking about. Plus it's usually very easy to remove stuff that is in memory, pull out the power and your RAM goes blank almost instantly...

I'm also not sure how encrypting something makes it harder to remove. In my experience encrypted data can be erased the same as unencrypted data... What do you mean by that?

I have another idea: We could reprogram your BIOS and store your unique KaM Remake ID in there. Then you can't remove it without unsoldering it from your motherboard or replacing the motherboard. And to make sure people can't reflash their BIOS we can reprogram the BIOS so it won't boot an operating system any more, it just runs KaM Remake standalone when you turn on the computer :) No need to tell anyone about the change, they'll find out next time they reboot their computer.
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 21 May 2014, 14:09

I have another idea: We could reprogram your BIOS and store your unique KaM Remake ID in there. Then you can't remove it without unsoldering it from your motherboard or replacing the motherboard. And to make sure people can't reflash their BIOS we can reprogram the BIOS so it won't boot an operating system any more, it just runs KaM Remake standalone when you turn on the computer :) No need to tell anyone about the change, they'll find out next time they reboot their computer.
Sounds good, but then we'd also need a feature to visit the forum. :o
<<

Michalpl

Sword Fighter

Post 21 May 2014, 14:13

For now Lewin could add auto rename to keep players from having two same nick
about accounts maybe add something like in game log in to this forum accout?
<<

sado1

Council Member

Post 21 May 2014, 20:07

Could you describe (or link to) an algorithm that hides something deep in memory? I'm not sure I understand what you are talking about. Plus it's usually very easy to remove stuff that is in memory, pull out the power and your RAM goes blank almost instantly...

I'm also not sure how encrypting something makes it harder to remove. In my experience encrypted data can be erased the same as unencrypted data... What do you mean by that?

Golden potato to Lewin, for having more patience than I ever saw in a person before. Guys, accounts were discussed numerous times, and developers declined all the ideas, because each of them had problems (most of them being the one - we need a database of logins and passwords - which can be stolen and then people would burn devs for making their passwords leak). To suggest that you know better what to do, than them, is at least inappropriate when you most likely have zero programming knowledge, and they have all the knowledge they needed to write a goddamn game, and even if there was some idea a non-programmer could give them - there's a 95% chance it was already mentioned, given how many times we touched that topic. We all want accounts, but lets face it - they will not be implemented, at least for quite some time. Use TeamSpeak or other means of communication, to know who you're playing with. Period.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 21 May 2014, 21:59

Golden potato to Lewin, for having more patience than I ever saw in a person before. Guys, accounts were discussed numerous times, and developers declined all the ideas, because each of them had problems (most of them being the one - we need a database of logins and passwords - which can be stolen and then people would burn devs for making their passwords leak). To suggest that you know better what to do, than them, is at least inappropriate when you most likely have zero programming knowledge, and they have all the knowledge they needed to write a goddamn game, and even if there was some idea a non-programmer could give them - there's a 95% chance it was already mentioned, given how many times we touched that topic. We all want accounts, but lets face it - they will not be implemented, at least for quite some time. Use TeamSpeak or other means of communication, to know who you're playing with. Period.
Thanks sado, I agree with your summary. However I don't think leaking passwords is the biggest problem. I now know enough about cryptography and security that I could fairly confidentially implement that. And this forum is already storing a big list of passwords in our database (hashed/salted presumably, which our accounts system would be too), but nobody worries about that. So that isn't really a problem.

As I said on the other thread, recording statistics about each player (like a leaderboard) would be very hard to prevent people cheating to skew it. Preventing people from taking nicknames will also be hard, because people can recompile the game or server to ignore those checks (although there are ways we can make that hard).

The biggest problem is that it would take an enormous about of time to implement, as well as maintain. And remember that the only gain it gives you is stopping people using your nickname, since stats/leadersboards are too easy to cheat. So why spend months and months implementing then maintaining something with so little practical gain?
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

Post 21 May 2014, 22:59

Thanks sado, I agree with your summary. However I don't think leaking passwords is the biggest problem. I now know enough about cryptography and security that I could fairly confidentially implement that. And this forum is already storing a big list of passwords in our database (hashed/salted presumably, which our accounts system would be too), but nobody worries about that. So that isn't really a problem.

As I said on the other thread, recording statistics about each player (like a leaderboard) would be very hard to prevent people cheating to skew it. Preventing people from taking nicknames will also be hard, because people can recompile the game or server to ignore those checks (although there are ways we can make that hard).

The biggest problem is that it would take an enormous about of time to implement, as well as maintain. And remember that the only gain it gives you is stopping people using your nickname, since stats/leadersboards are too easy to cheat. So why spend months and months implementing then maintaining something with so little practical gain?
i agree with lewin and sado here. Renember that the remake is being developed by only Lewin and Krom, not an entire group of designers like companies do. if someone uses your nickname there is nothing you can do about it, just deal with it.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 22 May 2014, 04:13

Fortunately my nickname is so original that no one will ever steal it.
<<

sado1

Council Member

Post 22 May 2014, 07:13

Fortunately my nickname is so original that no one will ever steal it.
Yeah, I always take The Pink Lord when I want to crash some randoms xD
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

Post 22 May 2014, 09:09

Golden potato to Lewin
This made me laugh harder than I'd like to admit :P
<<

Zippo

Militia

Post 29 May 2014, 09:48

<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

Post 29 May 2014, 09:50

Challenge him to a battle for your name, once and for all! :P
<<

Zippo

Militia

Post 29 May 2014, 10:55

I talked to his friend just now and he is Russian and doesnt speak English... I asked him who is ZippO he said he is not online now he is on Skype.... LOL? :o

Return to “Feedback / Discussion”