Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Request for a new version of Remake

<<

sado1

Council Member

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 31 Oct 2016, 11:44

Request for a new version of Remake

Hello. I'm making this topic to find out whether there is a chance of a new Remake version any time soon. My expectations for the release:
  • it will be made in mind with the fact that it will most likely be the last Remake release to be made
  • it doesn't have to happen right now, in fact it might be better if it happens in a year of so
  • I don't want more attention from Krom and Lewin than the absolute minimum needed; I realize that Lewin doesn't do much with the Remake these days, and Krom is busy with KP
  • above means no "big" changes
  • all the user-generated content will be updated, including adding new maps and campaigns (TNL? :P)
  • of course there will be a RC testing period, long enough to make sure bugfix releases won't be needed
  • this deserves a topic on its own, but it would be nice to have a builtin interactive scripted tutorial for multiplayer gameplay. I can do the scripting part, but I need a good player that would want to make a plan of what such a tutorial should be like. This should be obviously fully translated at least into the most popular languages (Polish, Russian, Dutch, Czech, German?)
  • to be continued - add your suggestions below
I'm afraid we lack active developers to implement any new features, however it's possible some of the guys who played around with Remake's source code (ZblCoder, thibmo, ...) could be interested in adding some small stuff, like the woodcutter beacons which were added recently. You can find/add possible improvements/bugs on https://github.com/Kromster80/kam_remake/issues
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 31 Oct 2016, 20:18

Re: Request for a new version of Remake

• all the user-generated content will be updated, including adding new maps and campaigns (TNL? :P)
I love you sado.

Anyway good initiative. There are indeed some things that could/need to be improved.
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 01 Nov 2016, 05:41

There's a new team working on pushing updates into Remake (Zbl, Rey, Andreus). There's Trello board in Rus (https://trello.com/b/tHmdXhwM/kam-remak ... evelopment)
It is still in early stages, but hopes are that they will have enough stamina to amass enough improvements into new Remake version.

Problem is, that new version MUST be better than the old, so that everyone migrates from r6720 to it, without splitting the players into r6720 and r8000 camps.
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

Rey

KaM Remake Developer

Post 01 Nov 2016, 05:56

Glad to know we are not alone.
Recently we started some activities for developing KaM Remake and every day we have a lot of discussions on skype about what we want to do and how.
If I ll get enought replies here I can translate our trello project for all of you guys.
Actually I was thinking on posing here to find somebody who can help us with some photoshop work. We have 3 developers now, as Krom mentioned, but no designers or smb who can draw GOOD (I can do some photoshop also, as well as ZblCoder, but its not rlly close to professional work).

Rlly excited to find out somebody also want to get new release. And hope it will come earlier then in 1 year :)
Last edited by Rey on 01 Nov 2016, 10:00, edited 1 time in total.
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

Post 01 Nov 2016, 08:40

Wait what, did you honestly think we weren't interested in a new release? It feels a bit weird that people have been working on a new version 'in secret'. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate it, but it seems unthinkable to leave this community out of the discussions and just do as you please.
<<

Rey

KaM Remake Developer

Post 01 Nov 2016, 09:03

Wait what, did you honestly think we weren't interested in a new release? It feels a bit weird that people have been working on a new version 'in secret'. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate it, but it seems unthinkable to leave this community out of the discussions and just do as you please.
Well I think you missunderstood me.
Our ideas started from new woodcutter point, and then we began thinking more and more and more. It was not planned. After Krom get involved and realise we are not just talking, like it usually happens, it became more serious.
When I said
If I ll get enought replies here I can translate our trello project for all of you guys.
I just wanted to push you guys to be more active here, that's all.
And you are wrong if you think we want to make smth on our own, as we pleased - its just impossible because Krom is always here, and we do smth only if he approves it.
As you can see in git I've just done 2 small pull requests, so its 3 altogether with ZblCoder - not so many yet. So we are just in the beginning.
<<

sado1

Council Member

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 01 Nov 2016, 09:59

That's wonderful news, to be honest I wasn't even hoping for a new team to be assembled. I think this means we can actually be more ambitious with the ideas we have, if everything works out. Yes, it would be most useful if you could translate the page, especially that Google Translate doesn't seem to work at all for me there. Apart from trying to find a Photoshop expert, is there anything else we can help you with? I'll start asking people around for new version ideas on TS, and will spam Github with them, if that's fine :)
<<

vovets1

Sword Fighter

Post 01 Nov 2016, 10:59

Someone who visited trello can ask what vovets doing in that team :D
I just united these guys in one team, and tried to "ban" some doubtful ideas like adding mushroom picker, etc.

Features is nice, but i really want to actualize the last useless unit of Barracks - Scout. And in test version we upped his move speed. Really, now this unit can be used. He can really scout faster than someone else, can get to your ranged better than knight (but with killing still has some problems), can enter your town and be evasive there. But in open fight he's still weak and expencive, and this makes him balanced unit. But ofc we should do more tests, and share to all community this.
But my main idea which i want to add in new remake is adding the Town Hall. I was close (at least i think so :D ) to persuade Krom allow us start doing this, but he didn't say his decisive word.
Why i want TH? Because every multiplayer game (for forum community i think multiplayer is more important) can't live without changing. Last big change of balance was in 5503, three years and a half ago. So TH will add much more strategies into the game. Four years (with RCs before 5503) sword+bow=main meta. For 4 years we just added knights to it, starts to equip axes in late game and lances to counter knights. And the alternative stragegy with xbows and someone to protect them. Maybe some market strategies, but they are as rare as horserush. Nothing more for 4 years. And with TH (and barbarians as the main unit in games like 60pt) you can use much more interesting strategies (now you can test it on forgotten map The Land of Mercenaries, which none on this forum even commented except Krom. Really it was offencively)
My idea is to add TH in Remake as in TPR, but with little changes.
1). Interface should be like Barracks' one
2). Player can collect gold in TH (delete 5 gold limit)
3). Rebel's cost should be increased from 1 to 2 gold (bcs if 1 gold, lance would be useless)
4). Maybe vagabond's cost should be 4 instead of 3. (i'm not still sure)
5). We should do something with useless Rogue.

Why barb is not imba now?
He was before 5503. But when 4 barracks' units got +1 for armor against arrow, bowman starts shooting faster, barb really got his place as very damaging unit but with armor like lance carrier has.
Maybe some units from TH will be useless on 60pt, but do not forget that 60 pt isn't only mode in multiplayer. E.g. Vagabond is really powerful on pt 35 or less. Adding TH will popularize games with shortet pt (i hope so).

These is the main i think. You'll know our every idea when we'll translate our trello.
<<

Rey

KaM Remake Developer

Post 01 Nov 2016, 13:20

I've done translating trello page (Captions only by now): https://trello.com/b/2Ob4zYKr/kam-remake-international
Feature list are not going to be fully implement, most features are under discussion now.
This trello board is read only, I or Krom will give permissions to post new Ideas to active participants.

Note, that Trello is not a place for discussions, mainly it is a project lifecycle managing system. So pls post cards there only with solid Ideas, leave mess of talks outside, cause otherwise it'll become useless.
Last edited by Rey on 01 Nov 2016, 13:33, edited 1 time in total.
<<

zombie01

Pikeman

Post 01 Nov 2016, 13:33

I love it that after years, there are still people working on improving KaM remake.
Last edited by zombie01 on 01 Nov 2016, 15:21, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Krom

Post 01 Nov 2016, 14:36

@TDL: No need to worry, I didn't knew the guys would make anything either. As with every other thing - one needs to start somewhere before hitting Times cover ;-)

@zombie01: Please don't hijack this thread into another "Ideas suggestions". We already have "Official KaM Remake Ideas topic" for that.
<<

zombie01

Pikeman

Post 01 Nov 2016, 15:22

@TDL: No need to worry, I didn't knew the guys would make anything either. As with every other thing - one needs to start somewhere before hitting Times cover ;-)

@zombie01: Please don't hijack this thread into another "Ideas suggestions". We already have "Official KaM Remake Ideas topic" for that.
Stricken from the record

I thought ideas were welcome :wink:
<<

Krom

Post 01 Nov 2016, 15:54

Ideas ARE welcome, just put them into the right place ;-)
<<

thunder

Moorbach's Guard

Post 01 Nov 2016, 22:07

Nice and interesting news.
Scout. And in test version we upped his move speed.
Well, I think to the unit balance is okay now. The scouts are enoguh strong. I still think the biggest problem is the best army type for 60minutes games. There isn't better strategy with scouts than Knights+swords+bows. The reasons are deeper than only units balance. The bigger problem is economycal. The cost of the wares like iron ore. The miningtime should be slower with almost 30% to the economycal side be balanced also. If this would happen than the irontroops will be again bonus troops, more players will choose mass leather production. I know the otherside of the coin... why should slow down the ironproduction, it good as now...well enough if compare the 2 mines games with 3+ ironmines games. Anywyy the game let be easier after every releases. The farms are working on more effective way(need alte food production), the woodcutters are better also, but the minig systems is the same. Many release ago building ironmines was okay after 40minutes, if somebdy made it before 40mins than got huge starvation. Nowadays players make the ironmines at around 12minutes and theyy finish the complete ironproduction until 30mins. Its huge difference and predict the best army composition also. Okay, it depends of the map and location and PT etc. But the point is the unit balance is okay now. MAybe THunits are not fixed.
So basicly i disagree with this increasing the speed of the scouts.
TH in Remake
I think it has to be optional in the lobby. As like the gamespeed and PT is also. (just a checkbox would need)
I heard manytimes from the players Use the original townhall as was in the TPR.
But cost of the units in the TH has to be different as the original was(becuse the game would be very imba). I think to would be better to implement those TH units into the barrack and giving new features to the Townhall. Of course townhall could use gold as ware. New fetures like unit transformtions.
- Labourers to serfs(~1goldchest/labourers) to recruit or
-transforming every citizens to rebels or to rouge(~150Gchest),
-transforming miner to Barbarian or to warrior(~10Gchest)
- spying/revealing part of the map(~50goldchests) etc...
-maybe integrating somekind of waresending function into TH

-Aynway would be nice to see better foodmanagement with anable and disable foodtypes in the inn. ;)
<<

vovets1

Sword Fighter

Post 01 Nov 2016, 23:46

Last ideas about making army from citizens looks... doubtfully. Too complicated.

As for scout, when you use scout+something (xbows e.g.), think, what will happen if you use knight+something (bows). And compare what will be effective.

With upgraded speed scout cen ba used not for open fight, but for better scouting, trying to enter enemies towns, can attack from behind better, can "dance" in front of ranged better bcs of speed, can catch enemies units on march and hold it until your main army comes. But as a unit for a fight is is weak as now.
Using scout on maps with 2 iron mines is not the criteria for all KaM. (actually i use knights anyway, bcs it's better to equip all knights for my iron instead of xbows) If you compare xbows and bows, xbows will be more poverfull, but not so much. And if knight and scout, the last one will be raped.

Return to “Ideas / Suggestions”