after r6720

<<

thunder

Moorbach's Guard

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 14 Apr 2021, 09:28

after r6720

Hi,

I would like to ask the developers, programmers who are heavily involved in the coding of Remake.
How their future vision is about this Remake project?
What ways to see for the Remake stepping forward? For example now there is big jump's planned from r6720 with lots of additional stuffs what may were not planned before. (TownHall,Random maps, Map editor changes, new campaigns, Snow, increasing efficiency to get less lags, more dynamic scritp command,more players in MP games, etc.) But what after, maybe adding Siege units, or supporting mods, modded units, more various dynamic scripts, researching the interpolating idea more etc.?

Is there or rather what are the major leading plans for continue this (stopped-freezed?) hobby project's development?
:)
I really would be happy to read an article about the current state of Remake, how the devs feel about after 5 years.
It could be a kind of surprise article on the kamremakecom dev blog also. :)

Thank you!

Have a great day!
<<

sado1

Council Member

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 16 Apr 2021, 09:32

Re: after r6720

I am sure you didn't mean me, when talking about people 'heavily involved in coding' :D but nevertheless, I wanted to share my own thoughts on that:

- I think that we really need some new developers, to take some weight off Rey's shoulders - thankfully, we can see that more people are recently interested in Remake's code
- everyone wants siege units in this game since ages, so it should become a priority to add and balance them properly
- proper modding support is something a lot of people would have fun with, there are entire Discord channels devoted to modding KaM already
- it would be cool, if new versions would be released more often - I imagine it could be better for players, and keeping the code without too many new bugs as well :)

What I would personally like to see added in the future:
- some AI-enhanced "HD" mode for graphics (and animations?) - perhaps it could be integrated into mod support, with some scaling setting for the sprites
- ability to script a building - with buttons, parameters etc.
- universal scripts, that can be applied to all maps in lobby
<<

fusiok

Peasant

Post 06 Aug 2021, 13:22

Bump cause i've got similar question.

Is there ever going to be new, official KAM remake version? r6720 was released almost 7 years ago. I still remember when at some point i was forced to download it cause previous version stopped working and there was information about it in game client. Recently i've discovered that new kam "beta" versions were added all the time during those years, including 12p version. Will we ever see one of those version to become official one? Would be nice to see game population being consolidated into one version instead of spliting already pretty thin in some hours population into normal version players and players playing those betas released over the years. And additional question, related to main one: are there any plans to actually focus for a while on KAM remake and polish one of those beta versions enough to decide "ok, thats good enough to be new official" or it's something that might never happen for a next 7 years?
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

Post 06 Aug 2021, 14:20

Just some highlights:
- KaM Remake is a hobby project, hence sporadic development
- It's maintained by Rey now. Me and Lewin check it only occasionally
- Every one of us has a lot of other chores beside it, jobs, personal life, other projects, etc (e.g. I have moved my development efforts in to Knights Province)
- Current KaM Remake backlog is more than 500 features, ideas and bugreports
- Preparing a release version that can last for years is a very laborious task
- On a given day, it is usually more rewarding to add a new feature rather than dealing with Release chores (polishing features, fixing rare and obscure bugs, coordinating maps and translations, etc.)
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

Post 07 Aug 2021, 09:12

One thing I've noticed after 'coming back' just recently and reading up on everything is that the project seems to be made for large releases. I think Krom's point about 'dealing with release chores' points that out. Nowadays it's more common in software development to have short release cycles and prioritize releasing faster with less features/fixes than waiting for a lot features/fixes so people get the 'value' faster and you can gather feedback faster on choices made.

I was really surprised in a good way by the current beta and even though it has some quirks, I think it has the potential to be an official release quite soon, but I've gotten the feeling it will take quite some time due to the chosen approach.

Mind you this is just my personal opinion and I'm not a software developer, but I am a scrum product owner in my professional career, so I do know a thing or two about prioritizing and short release cycles. My team and project have come a long way in the last two years from actually following the same model as KaM Remake to releasing quite frequently which has caused our workload to go down and increase customer satisfaction.

What I'm trying to say is: I think it's a shame that the current beta is 'just' a beta and 'hidden' in a discord, while it absolutely delivers more value to players than the current official release. Also (but I may be mistaken), I don't know if there's actually a roadmap to a new release. So who's to say when a new official release will come.

Return to “General / Questions”