Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

How do you add custom messages?

<<

XFerence

Peasant

Post 31 May 2012, 18:09

How do you add custom messages?

Hello there,

How do you add custom messages (like the ones you get in TSK and TPR) in Lewin's Mission Editor? All I can find is how to set delays on it, but not how to make a text. Anyone that can help me?

K thnx bai
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 31 May 2012, 21:19

Re: How do you add custom messages?

There's no simple way to do it in KaM. The message text cannot be stored in the mission script, in KaM it must be stored in the global text.lib file which holds all text for the game. This means you need to provide a modified files for every translation (otherwise the entire game ends up in your language for everybody) and people can only have one text modification installed at once because it overwrites all the other game text.
Basically KaM wasn't designed to have missions added to it.

Obviously we want to improve this in the Remake, so a few months ago Krom added support for custom messages through events. You can see an example of how it works with the tutorials/campaigns. Go to your Tutorials folder in the KaM Remake and open the Battle Tutorial.evt file in notepad or another text editor. You can probably guess how the commands work. The text is stored in the Battle Tutorial.###.libx where ### is your language code. These files can also be edited with notepad. The .eng one must exist as everything defaults back to it, but the others are all optional.
Try doing this for your mission. Copy the .evt and .eng.libx files into your mission folder under Maps and rename them to have the same name as your mission.

More information on events can be found under the Wiki section of our Google Code page, follow the links from our website.

I hope this helps.
Lewin.

Return to “General Talk”