Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Florek's maps

<<

Florek

Pikeman

Post 29 Feb 2012, 14:59

Florek's maps

Hello, I'm only interested in making multiplayer maps (for Remake).

Map title: Chase Around Volcano
Description: Medium sized map for 6 players intended for 3 vs 3 short peace time games. Forests, valleys and lakes surrounding volcano in the middle will be area of small and medium sized fights.

Download: http://www.speedyshare.com/file/fB3AP/C ... olcano.rar

Thread short link (useful in lobby): http://tinyurl.com/ChaseAround

Map title: Welcome to the Jungle
Description: We have landed on a foriegn shore with mysterious monuments and enterances into the mountains. The vegetation is dense and overgrown. We are at the beginning of the jungle... (Lewin's one ;p)

Download: http://speedy.sh/3vrhQ/Welcome-to-the-Jungle.rar

Thanks for koczis12 for his help and advices during map creation. :) He shared his priceless experience. ;p

I'm awaiting your suggestions and feedback!

Cheers, Florek.
Last edited by Florek on 06 May 2012, 10:03, edited 6 times in total.
powah gamin! - trusted source of best KaM Remake replays!
Conquest of Paradise - balanced 1v1 map in the spirit of maps like Golden Cliffs or Across the Desert
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 29 Feb 2012, 17:38

Re: Florek's maps

Yeah it looks nice. But it is not fair, or you must set locations for teams:( 2,3,4 vs 1,5,6 or something like that)
Because if you look at location 4 vs location 3? I can just say: Loc. 4 has everything and Loc. 3 nothing. :D
As you can see in your map, at Loc. 4 there is near by the base iron, much coal, gold and a little bit of stone.
However at Loc. 3 the player has only a little bit of gold. If he wants stone or iron, he must go farer away like other players. That is critical, I THINK, if you will play FFA.

EDIT: And player 6 has no coal in comparison of player 1+2+4

Pawel95
<<

Florek

Pikeman

Post 29 Feb 2012, 21:58

Thanks for opinion, the reason why resources are placed in that way is that map is only for 3-3 fights. Player A is lack of gold and iron, but player B of coal, for example.

Map was played three times multiplayer yet and needs more testing already I think, so I'm not sure about balance anyway.
Conquest of Paradise - balanced 1v1 map in the spirit of maps like Golden Cliffs or Across the Desert
<<

Jeronimo

Knight

Post 01 Mar 2012, 17:56

Looks promising, but it would be better if its made for 6 ffa... I mean that every player can play on his own.

I dont agree with "3v3 only" designs...
<<

caykroyd

Crossbowman

Post 01 Mar 2012, 20:42

I didn't download it, but from looking, some concerns came to me:

- your mountains are 2 smooth; have a look at other maps to have an idea how they should look like.
- i'm not sure if it is possible to see the center (lava) of the volcano by exploring it. You should test it.
- i didn't download it, so i don't really know how yours is, but a common problem is that the coal is rich in the borders and suddenly disappears. I don't know if you understand what i mean. It should be "smooth", meaning that it is rich in the center and gradually gets poorer.
<<

Florek

Pikeman

Post 01 Mar 2012, 21:03

Jeronimo, I had many experiences from FFA fights, and those games are mainly camping of most players, sequence is killing by plenty of towers and camping inside towns. That's why i didn't plan this map for FFA way, i don't like this mode. :p Ahh... and this mode is totally unfair and random sometimes! I don't think players like to play this way.

caykroyd, I didn't update picture yet, but there are few diffrences between those and map (mountains got some lifting). I'm sure lava is seeable when you build tower near volcano. Then about coal, I think effect of dissappearing coal in the border is acceptable, and what's more - looking fine and natural. I saw same effect in few other maps (Oasis Struggle and Across the Desert for example).

Thanks for suggesstions and opinions, map will got final fix soon. :)
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 04 Mar 2012, 08:56

I think it's okay to have maps that don't work for FFA, because those kind of maps are often more interesting. For example only one player one each team could have access to iron, stuff like that. If every map is designed for each position to be equal to every other position it's not interesting.

Anyway I like the map, it will be included in the next release :)
If you update it, post it here or let me know so we don't release an old version.
<<

Florek

Pikeman

Post 04 Mar 2012, 11:57

Hi, thanks for feedback. Good news, I see. :P

First, before final release I will do my best to make mountains and terrain looking better. Not much work, just few corrects.
Second, I think map title is not best, maybe anyone have suggestion how name it better?
Third, still thinking about resource balances in storehouses. At the moment for each player amounts looking so:
  Code:
- 60 stones - 50 timber - 40 gold - 40 wine barrels - 25 loaves - 10 sausages - 20 fish
There are 2 exceptions at the moment: player 2 have 10 tree trunks (lack of forest space) and player 4 have 100 stones due to small mountain. I consider to place other wares in other storehouses (1 special ware in small amount per player).

And last thing, I wrote description for lobby:
Rich and forgotten fairylands are ready for entertain new invaders! Forests, valleys and lakes surrounding volcano will be area of small and medium sized fights.
I'm guess there are some gramma mistakes, feel free to correct it. :P
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 05 Mar 2012, 22:15

I agree about the name, it could be improved. I think it should still focus on the volcano though. Some ideas:
Volcano Valley
Around the Volcano

I changed the story slightly to spice it up a bit, I hope you don't mind:
Rich and forgotten fairylands lie ready to be discovered by new invaders! Forests, valleys and lakes surrounding the ominous volcano shall be fought over and won.
Regarding the map improvements, I think you should work on elevation, the hills look too even (make them varied, so there are dark areas) And some hills are too flat, like the gold in the top left.
Overall the map is also too flat, try to make the height vary all over the map.

The starting resources sound interesting, I like the idea of each position having a "special bonus". Just make sure it's balanced.
<<

Florek

Pikeman

Post 24 Apr 2012, 16:52

I added small 1-1 map, cause I see new Remake is a bit lack with those kind of maps. :P

Also I decided to cancel adding a Volcano into Remake case I think it's too crowded and unplayable map.
<<

Piko

Warrior

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 24 Apr 2012, 17:08

I added small 1-1 map, cause I see new Remake is a bit lack with those kind of maps. :P
That's because if players want to 1v1 game, they often play on bigger maps :P
ImageImage
<<

caykroyd

Crossbowman

Post 24 Apr 2012, 21:23

Also I decided to cancel adding a Volcano into Remake case I think it's too crowded and unplayable map.
why not just make it 2v2 instead??
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 25 Apr 2012, 06:59

why not just make it 2v2 instead??
I agree, your volcano map is nice. What about locations 1+3 vs 4+6? With those positions you could probably play FFA too :)

Welcome to the Jungle looks great, I like that there are so many little ways through between the two positions, not just one big entrance to tower up. It will be in the next release (let me know if you object)
EDIT: If you don't want people to stand on the doors into the temples/mountains, you could place the "blocked" object over them (in Krom's editor)
Also, could you write a little "story" description like we have for other maps now? (for example, Warfare in the Wilderness is: "Fight your way through these untamed and uninhabited lands where even courageous adventurers have not yet been.") Doesn't matter if your English isn't great, I'll fix it up. Even if it's just the idea I can write it into a description.
<<

Florek

Pikeman

Post 25 Apr 2012, 09:28

Well, thanks for your positive feedback, your built up a bit my morale. :P

Okay, I will remake Volcano as an 2-2 map and I will block those entrances of course, I just forgot it's still passable. ;) Also I have in plans contuine South America climate on my other maps, with jungles and Aztecs/Incas temples and cities on it. And sure, add it (Welcome to the Jungle) to the new update. :) I will write description soon.

Here I want to protest about making Wilderness 8p map, I think it's perfect as it was - 4 players way! :P
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 25 Apr 2012, 12:04

Okay, I will remake Volcano as an 2-2 map and I will block those entrances of course, I just forgot it's still passable. ;) Also I have in plans contuine South America climate on my other maps, with jungles and Aztecs/Incas temples and cities on it. And sure, add it (Welcome to the Jungle) to the new update. :) I will write description soon.
Did you decide what to call it? HellRacer recently added a map called "Volcano Valley" so you can't use that. I quite like "Around the Volcano" but just "The Volcano" or "Volcano" are fine too.

I've never seen anyone make a jungle in KaM before, but it works well with the palm/tropical trees in your map! I look forward to seeing more :) A dense jungle with swamps and streams would be really cool!
I am constantly surprised by the vast variety of terrain styles you can get from KaM, with just ~250 terrain tiles and ~250 objects. The only problem is some players tree to put them all on one map, desert, snow, ice, beach, palm trees, etc. :P
Here I want to protest about making Wilderness 8p map, I think it's perfect as it was - 4 players way! :P
Well my idea was that you can play it 4 player by selecting just 4 of the 8 positions. But someone (maybe it was you) pointed out that you can't do 4 player FFA with random positions in that case, so I think I'll add the 4 player versions of all those maps back. Do you think it's worth having 4P and 8P versions of Wilderness? I thought it looked big enough for 8P, but maybe there aren't enough resources. I've actually never played on that map, so I value your opinion :)

Return to “Map Design”