<<

batoonike

Warrior

Post 03 Jan 2012, 01:43

Re: Official KaM Remake r2736 Bugs topic

@ The Dark Lord
True story!

Another issue:
Had 8 player game for about 1:30 on Road of Valley. Then game started freezing for 5 seconds, then moves for 1 second, then again 5 second freeze. Did this for like a minute and then everything normal. About half an hour later, same thing. For third time I got error message saying "an error occured" and was dropped to lobby. Other players said I had 5k ping at these freezing moments.

Interesting thing is, that I watched the replay and the game still freezes. So it's not my internet connection. It freezes even after the replay is over and I choose "continue watching". I monitored the CPU usage during replay and it seems it eats up all the CPU it can for a moment. Majority of the time CPU usage for KaM is pretty low. See attachment. It's suggesting that some AI is periodicly thinking extremely much I guess? Or theres some nearly-endless loop somewhere in the code?

Here is the replay file in case you want to reproduce this. Freezing starts around 1:50, close to the end.
http://batoonike.indrek.org/temp/cpu_1_50sth.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 03 Jan 2012, 02:01

is this supposed to happen??
Im pretty sure the woodcutter didn't plant it AFTER the laborer got there. Then, when the laborer dug it up it disapeared. o.o
This is what happened:
- The woodcutter decided to plant a tree on that empty tile, he starts walking out of his house
- You placed the building site
- The woodcutter arrives at the tile and plants the tree
- The labourer arrived and started digging the site. When he gets to the tree he digs it up.

That's the expected behaviour. What is the problem?
The woodcutter must have already selected that tile before you place the building site, otherwise this won't happen (he won't chose to plant on a building site) So it will be quite rare.
Never build watchtowers! They kill your own troops! :P
I think I'll make them slightly more accurate, they seem to be killing your own troops too often.
Another issue:
Had 8 player game for about 1:30 on Road of Valley. Then game started freezing for 5 seconds, then moves for 1 second, then again 5 second freeze. Did this for like a minute and then everything normal. About half an hour later, same thing. For third time I got error message saying "an error occured" and was dropped to lobby. Other players said I had 5k ping at these freezing moments.
Strange. What speed is your CPU? Any freezes like that should effect all players, not only you because the simulation is the same on all computers.

That replay you sent only goes to 1:17, although I noticed a some small pauses while playing it, the first at 0:23:35.3. (tick 14153) Here is the problem:
The labourer circled in red is trying to get to that tile to walk to the planned winefield. He realises there are other labourers in his way, so he tries to find a route avoiding walking through labourers. The engine performs a floodfill and discovers that he should be able to walk there by moving diagonally down+right. So the pathfinding goes ahead and tries to create the route, but this causes a massive freeze because there is no possible route, (the A* algorithm fails) as the labourer would have to walk through the tree.
The problem is that floodfill does not take into account walking through trees, but the pathfinding does. I think I can make floodfill take it into account without causing a big slow down. (floodfill needs to be very efficient because it processes the entire map regularly) On my computer this freeze is ~1 second, but on yours it must have been 5 seconds if your ping was 5k.
Thanks for the report.

The crash on road of the valley is a known bug, it happens when a woodcutter tries to cut trees on the top or left edges of the map. So that was the cause of the error, completely unrelated to the freezes. (I've fixed the bug already) I suggest you don't play that map in r2736.
<<

batoonike

Warrior

Post 03 Jan 2012, 10:40

Good youve got this one! Processor is Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T7100 @ 1.80GHz 1.80GHz. I was the hosting player. Maybe all players did have a few seconds of freeze but the "30 seconds to drop this player" dialog appeared and they didnt realize they had delay too?
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 03 Jan 2012, 11:32

Good youve got this one! Processor is Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T7100 @ 1.80GHz 1.80GHz. I was the hosting player. Maybe all players did have a few seconds of freeze but the "30 seconds to drop this player" dialog appeared and they didnt realize they had delay too?
Yes I think all players would have had it, your CPU wouldn't have been noticeably slower than theirs.
<<

GreatWhiteBear

Knight

Post 03 Jan 2012, 12:16

In the singleplayer map On The Way, when my axe fighters attacked the barracks in the north the game would go VERY slow and shocky like someone is lagging very bad.
My PC can handle every game I have played so far so it isn't my pc.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 03 Jan 2012, 13:49

In the singleplayer map On The Way, when my axe fighters attacked the barracks in the north the game would go VERY slow and shocky like someone is lagging very bad.
My PC can handle every game I have played so far so it isn't my pc.
It's not your PC, there are problems with the AI that cause them to use ridiculous amounts of CPU sometimes. I think it's in pathfinding, when they tell their soldiers to attack/defend against you. (I think the order is continuously repeated or something)
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 03 Jan 2012, 15:20

Never build watchtowers! They kill your own troops! :P
I think I'll make them slightly more accurate, they seem to be killing your own troops too often.
I'll give you my opinion about the accuracy of watchtowers. I think they miss often enough and hit often enough, but I've never seen my own units get killed in the original game. I don't really mind if it happens now and then (I guess the recruits throwing the stones aren't perfect, just like archers), but it shouldn't happen too often. Imho a 1% chance is enough. Also I've noticed that the towers often miss when a hostile soldier is (almost?) standing still.
<<

caykroyd

Crossbowman

Post 03 Jan 2012, 16:11

is this supposed to happen??
Im pretty sure the woodcutter didn't plant it AFTER the laborer got there. Then, when the laborer dug it up it disapeared. o.o
This is what happened:
- The woodcutter decided to plant a tree on that empty tile, he starts walking out of his house
- You placed the building site
- The woodcutter arrives at the tile and plants the tree
- The labourer arrived and started digging the site. When he gets to the tree he digs it up.

That's the expected behaviour. What is the problem?
The woodcutter must have already selected that tile before you place the building site, otherwise this won't happen (he won't chose to plant on a building site) So it will be quite rare.
Hum... i'm sure when that happened on the original kam the building site was "destroyed" and the tree grew normally, but... nevermind then :D
<<

GreatWhiteBear

Knight

Post 03 Jan 2012, 16:22

yeah, but that was crappy so they removed it
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 03 Jan 2012, 20:55

OK, today I had the first time, the same problem like an user here in the forum before.
I loose an singleplayer mission(because the loose condition is not right :P ) and than the Loose sound comes. After that I start an other mission. Up to here no music. Enable/Disable music in the menu... it still not work! only a game restart bring the music back :D
<<

krisdw

Pikeman

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 16 Jan 2012, 11:26

I don't know if it is known or not but I've encountered a bug.

It's singleplayer so not too important though!

TPR Mission 14.
-There is no text description at the start of the mission (perhaps only missing in Dutch version?)
-After you win the mission, and you click continue, you restart Mission 14 all over again. I don't think I can proceed the campaign.
<<

Siegfried

Knight

Post 16 Jan 2012, 12:28

Disagreed!
<<

GreatWhiteBear

Knight

Post 16 Jan 2012, 13:23

not TOO important.
I agree that sp isn't top priority, but the second bug is a real PITA.
If no one knows, PITA means: Pain In The Ass. Not to be confused with the food pita.
<<

krisdw

Pikeman

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 16 Jan 2012, 14:09

Disagreed!
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Single Player too, otherwise I wouldn't have found this out ;)

Can someone perhaps check if it is also in other language versions or if it's only in the Dutch version? That might help Lewin considerably if it turns out to be something he missed.

Return to “Bugs”