Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Unit Range

<<

Yeti

Militia

Post 19 Nov 2011, 19:53

Unit Range

Does anyone know the ranges (number of squares they can fire) of towers, bowmen, and crossbowmen?
<<

Siegfried

Knight

Post 19 Nov 2011, 21:03

Archers have 10 tiles if i remember correctly. There were some pictures floating around the forum. You could find them on the castlesand google code page.

I think towers have 5 tiles.

But these values could be wrong, they come out of my old and forgetful brain :wink:
<<

Yeti

Militia

Post 20 Nov 2011, 01:54

Archers having twice the range of towers doesn't sound quite right to me, but I could be wrong.
<<

Shadaoe

Knight

Post 20 Nov 2011, 02:01

I think you shot more far with a bow than by launching a stone :p
<<

Yeti

Militia

Post 20 Nov 2011, 02:08

No one's questioning that. :P
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 20 Nov 2011, 03:58

Comments from the KaM Remake code:
  Code:
Archers: Max: //KaM: Unit standing 10 tiles from us will be shot, 11 tiles will not Min: //KaM: We will shoot a unit standing 4 tiles away, but not one standing 3 tiles away Towers: Max: //KaM: Unit standing 6 tiles from us will be shot, 7 tiles will not Min: //In KaM towers have no minimum range, they will shoot any unit less than the range[/quote] HOWEVER, there is a strange thing about archer ranges in KaM: Certain direction can shoot 1 tile further than others! I can't remember what these directions are but you may remember noticing in the game that sometimes your archers would not shoot back at the enemy during a face off, and this is the reason. I don't know whether these ranges we used in the Remake are the 1 tile extra or not, it was a long time ago that we measured them. The Remake uses the same range for all directions because the way KaM does it just seems confusing.
<<

Yeti

Militia

Post 20 Nov 2011, 11:08

I didn't realise the actual game had that strange quirk. Thank you for the values. :)
<<

Jeronimo

Knight

Post 17 Dec 2011, 19:38

Re: Unit Range

Hey Lewin... its from South towards North: The ranged units seems to have +1 Hex distance.

Thats why Xbowmen situated at bottom were sure killers.
If you were at top of screen, you would be in disadvantage.

I had a duel game with ICE (using game-ranger).
I want serious Tournaments!!
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 18 Dec 2011, 03:54

Re: Unit Range

Hey Lewin... its from South towards North: The ranged units seems to have +1 Hex distance.

Thats why Xbowmen situated at bottom were sure killers.
If you were at top of screen, you would be in disadvantage.

I had a duel game with ICE (using game-ranger).
I want serious Tournaments!!
Thanks for the information. I don't see any reason why it should be like that, it would just mean that players won't want to be at the top of the screen in multiplayer. So in the KaM Remake archers will have the same range from all directions.

You shouldn't need to use game-ranger with the KaM Remake, we have our own master server to coordinate games. And there is a tournament thread in the KaM Remake section of the forum, you can register there.
Cheers,
Lewin.

Return to “Strategy Central”