Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

The Dark Lord's multiplayer maps

<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 03 Dec 2011, 12:47

I've made an (:D) 8 player version and I've done some fixes. As you suggested I added stone to the players' storehouses. I've also tweaked the gold and iron mountains. The player on the top left for example, was able to build 5 gold mines while the player on the top right could only build 3. Every player can now build 4 gold mines. If you have the gold mountain for yourself I think 3 gold mines are more than enough, but in the 8 player version you have to share the mountain with another player, so it is important that everyone can make the same amount of mines. That's why I also changed an iron mountain in the eastern side of the map. It was the only mountain where a player could build 2 iron mines (I was already wondering if anyone would notice). This would mean that, in the 8 player version, there is only one road required to get iron for both players.
- There is a part of the map you can walk through that you are not supposed to. Here's a screenshot (green highlighted areas can be walked on) I checked the other 3 bits like this, they can't be walked through.
I noticed that in the original KaM, you can't walk on the half swamp/half grass tiles. I already contacted you a while ago about being able to build there, so I'm sorry I didn't come with this earlier. If you plan to fix it I'll leave it like it is. And if you won't fix it (it isn't that troubling after all) I'll change it and reupload the maps.

You can find the download links in the first post!
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

Post 07 Dec 2011, 13:01

Okay I've blocked some half swamp tiles and added 15 stone. The download links are updated. I guess the maps are ready now. Please let me know if I forgot something!
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 07 Dec 2011, 13:11

Great, I've got them :)
I added "Made by The Dark Lord" to all 3 of your maps' descriptions, I like everything to be attributed.
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

Post 09 Dec 2011, 19:48

AAAAAAH! :shock:

I made a grave mistake! One of the players still had a scout! Here is a download link with the correct script http://www.2shared.com/file/gpA_6yyo/Warfare_in_the_Wilderness_8P.html (I also updated the link in the first post.)

Sorry for the inconvenience!
I added "Made by The Dark Lord" to all 3 of your maps' descriptions, I like everything to be attributed.
Well, if you insist. :P
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 10 Dec 2011, 01:32

LOL okay, I've updated to the new version, no need to worry :)
The release will have this fixed version.
<<

batoonike

Warrior

Post 01 Jan 2012, 21:21

Re: The Dark Lord's multiplayer maps

This is closest iron mining location for lower-right player. 2 iron mines can be placed there. Everyone else has same distance iron locations with max 1 mine and there's no other location on the map where you can place 2. That would give pretty big advantage to lower-right, since normally one would like to have exactly 2 iron mines to begin with. Everyone else has to build ~25 tiles of road for the second one. Seems like an accident. Would probably be easy to just break the iron cliff so you can't place 2 there (6)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

Post 03 Jan 2012, 15:25

Re:

I also changed an iron mountain in the eastern side of the map. It was the only mountain where a player could build 2 iron mines (I was already wondering if anyone would notice). This would mean that, in the 8 player version, there is only one road required to get iron for both players.
As you can see I was already aware of this mistake. I'm pretty sure I fixed it but I guess I didn't save the map or made some other mistake because as you said it's still possible to build 2 mines there! I will fix this for the next release and I will also change some elevation here and there because it's rather annoying you can't build on many places. Thanks for reporting!
<<

batoonike

Warrior

Post 03 Jan 2012, 16:01

I find it actually fun that land is so unbuildable. You have to place roads to level the ground. That doesn't happen often in other maps and fits well with wilderness theme. Anyways i think top left position has less buildable ground than top-right, for example. If you decide to keep it, try placing buildings on start locations to make sure its equally bad :D
<<

GreatWhiteBear

Knight

Post 03 Jan 2012, 16:23

I don't. Land should be more buildable
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 04 Jan 2012, 00:51

I like the varied elevation on this map, so many fan-made maps are too flat. I think a few places that you have to flatten with road is ok, but I think there are too many at the moment.
So flatten it a bit, but not too much because that would ruin it.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 11 Jan 2012, 21:08

Well flat maps are boring without doubt. I love elevated maps, but I'm still getting used to the way the Remake loads the relief.
But, as Lewin said, I when there are just so many...it just gets tedious. It's also hard to make positions balanced when the ground is elevated too much.
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

Post 14 Jan 2012, 00:32

I've just been updated the right side of Warfare in the Wilderness. It turned out I just elevated everything a tiny bit too much. Mostly one short right click was enough to make it possible to build on that terrain again. I've read somewhere that in the next release you will be able to build on steeper hills anyway, so now I'm wondering whether I should lower the terrain or not, as it's all very subtle and maybe it will be fixed automatically in the next release.
@Lewin I don't know if the building-on-steeper-hills thing has already been implemented, but when you'll send a test build to all testers, could you send me one too so I can check my map? Obviously I could also lower everything, but I think the steeper hills look better and wilder (so they fit more within the theme of the map) as batoonike said.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 14 Jan 2012, 04:09

Being able to build on steeper slopes would be great. If they implement building on steeper slopes, than I encourage you to leave the map's relief as it is.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 14 Jan 2012, 10:38

@Lewin I don't know if the building-on-steeper-hills thing has already been implemented, but when you'll send a test build to all testers, could you send me one too so I can check my map? Obviously I could also lower everything, but I think the steeper hills look better and wilder (so they fit more within the theme of the map) as batoonike said.
Yes I'll make sure I send a test version to you before the next release. Keep the old version and if enough areas are buildable you can leave it. We made it less fussy because on some KaM maps you were unable to build iron/gold mines.
Also, don't forget to change the number of iron mines that can be built for the bottom right player.
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

Post 16 Jan 2012, 00:27

Yes I'll make sure I send a test version to you before the next release. Keep the old version and if enough areas are buildable you can leave it. We made it less fussy because on some KaM maps you were unable to build iron/gold mines.
Also, don't forget to change the number of iron mines that can be built for the bottom right player.
No I won't forget it, thanks. :)

Return to “Map Design”