Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

KaM on Win7 64 bit

<<

Muffin

Peasant

Post 16 Apr 2011, 11:29

KaM on Win7 64 bit

Hi there,

I've been trying to install Knights And Merchants (TSK) on my 64 bit computer. However, it seems that I cannot install it on this machine. I've searched for a long time, tried different versions but none of them seem to work. My search brought me here on this website, I've read through it and I found this:
"There's no direct solution for this problem. Your best bet would be to install Knights and Merchants on an older computer and then copy over the installed files to your new one. The setup doesn't write any important registry entries or install any system files, so it works."
But when I do this, it gives an error saying I have to insert the CD. So this doesn't work! I have tried installing patches and adding the DLL file, but they didn't work either.

So, is there anyone who can help me out? I do read about people who got it working on 64 bit machines, but how?

Thanks in advance
<<

kuba11100

Sword Fighter

Post 16 Apr 2011, 17:05

Just insert the CD :)
Only the installer doesn't work on 64 bit Windows, the game itself and its CD checking routine doesn't depend on the installer.
<<

Muffin

Peasant

Post 17 Apr 2011, 14:26

Thank you for your reply. The only problem is I did insert the CD (tried it again just now). When I click the application I can hear the CD spinning, but it still gives an error message saying that I have to insert the CD. :( Everyone says that "the game itself and its CD checking routine doesn't depend on the installer", but yet mine does? I used the original disc, could it be that the installer 'forgot' to copy some files? (There are some scratches on the CD.) Or maybe there is a problem because I'm using an external DVD drive, connected via USB? Both these reasons don't make any sense but I don't know what else it could be.. :(

I have tried to convert my CD to an iso file and mount it with Daemon tools, but still no succes. :/
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 17 Apr 2011, 21:09

Try installing the 1.32 patch, that improves the way it scans for the CD and I think it fixed this for me.
<<

Muffin

Peasant

Post 19 Apr 2011, 15:42

Tried the patch, and still doesn't work. Maybe because I have a Dutch version of the game, and the patch is English? I can't find a Dutch patch anywhere though. :(
<<

kuba11100

Sword Fighter

Post 20 Apr 2011, 14:37

The game usually crashes after applying both 1.32 and ddraw.dll patches.

Maybe patch for other language version would work? Just make a copy of setup.lib and text.lib before, and replace them later. The texts in game may get completely messed up though (due to changed strings order in the files mentioned above).

If that all fails, there are always another ways, such as virtual machine.
<<

Muffin

Peasant

Post 26 Apr 2011, 13:55

The problem is not that my game crashes, my game won't start at all!
I now have the Peasants Rebellion, and I installed it on my 64 bit machine.. And it all works fine! Too bad I can't play from my own CD, and TPR lacks the original music. :( But it's better than nothing.

Thanks for the help everyone, I'll be playing Knights and Merchants. :D
<<

kuba11100

Sword Fighter

Post 27 Apr 2011, 15:00

The crash happens right after the start, so you won't see the menu anyway (no problem with recognising CD for me, though).

As for TPR, try SR3, you may like it, as it has all the original songs + many fixes.
<<

Litude

King Karolus

Post 01 May 2011, 17:51

TSK also requires the game CD to be in your primary CD drive (the one with the lowest letter) IIRC so if you have multiple drives and used some drive that wasn't your primary drive, you might want to try using your primary drive.
<<

merchant_992

Pikeman

Post 05 Jul 2011, 09:30

TSK is a 16 bit program. So I think it just won't run on a 64 bit operating system. It only works on 32 (or 16) bit systems. It should still be possible to run it in a virtual machine, but not on your standard windows7.
<<

Litude

King Karolus

Post 05 Jul 2011, 15:28

TSK itself is not 16 bit, just the installer.
<<

merchant_992

Pikeman

Post 08 Jul 2011, 06:51

But how to run the game if you can't even run the installer?
<<

Night guest

Post 02 Feb 2013, 21:38

Re: KaM on Win7 64 bit

Hi there,

I've been trying to install Knights And Merchants (TSK) on my 64 bit computer. However, it seems that I cannot install it on this machine. I've searched for a long time, tried different versions but none of them seem to work. My search brought me here on this website, I've read through it and I found this:
"There's no direct solution for this problem. Your best bet would be to install Knights and Merchants on an older computer and then copy over the installed files to your new one. The setup doesn't write any important registry entries or install any system files, so it works."
But when I do this, it gives an error saying I have to insert the CD. So this doesn't work! I have tried installing patches and adding the DLL file, but they didn't work either.

So, is there anyone who can help me out? I do read about people who got it working on 64 bit machines, but how?

Thanks in advance
Hey I don't know if it's important for you right now, because it's 2013 already, but I found a way to run this game on win 7. All you need is to install Virtual PC , it can be downloaded from the official Microsof site, its size is 30 mb only : http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... px?id=4580
I'm not special at software and don't get much in all this, but I think there are more recent versions of this program, which can also be found on Microsoft site. I myself installed the one you see above. If you are ready to do it just let me know , because you need an alredy made version of Windows 98 emulation which is about to be added on Virtual PC. there's nothing complex at all. Virtual pc allows you to run an original version of either windows , even 95 or millenium without any problems. Certainly they are not "original" they are like virtual ones, but everething works as if it is real Win 98. You can find it on the net, but lest you tire yourself with searches I can send it to you via email. My email is ldpcru@gmail.com
pLEASE don't think I'm a swindler, I just wanted to play the game and faced the same obstacle .
I hope it will help you.
bYe.
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 03 Feb 2013, 13:23

That's kind of a big workaround. We have a Windows 7 fix in the download section.
<<

Litude

King Karolus

Post 04 Feb 2013, 18:01

Yeah but it doesn't apply here. The problem being that the installer doesn't run on x64 systems.
Another more difficult workaround but one that doesn't involve toying around with another computer or Virtual PC is to use Universal Extractor or WinPack to unpack the files of _SETUP.1 manually. Sadly it doesn't extract the directory structure properly so you'll have to manually place the files into their correct directories which can be quite the hassle (especially the speech files).

Return to “General Talk”