Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

How long would it take to make a game like this?

<<

MichGal

Lance Carrier

Post 28 Sep 2009, 23:41

How long would it take to make a game like this?

Hi everyone. :D I was just wondering if anyone knew roughy about how long it would take to make a game like this from scratch.

I'm sure it would take multiple people. I'm just curious.
<<

Thunderwolf

Crossbowman

Website: http://thunderwolf.freehost10.com/KaMMissionBuilder/index.php

Post 29 Sep 2009, 09:31

It depends on how much time/day you can spend on it. And how good you are, also some bit of luck is good to have...

Of course what programming language you're using (new ones like C# will do a lot of work for you, whilst in C you'd have to do nearly everything) etc.

As you are saying from scratch, it will take a fairly long time. Building off an existing engine would be less work.

All of the remakes are part-time projects (as nobody is getting paid for it!), so it'd take longer to make then with a team working on it for a company.
~old sig
MissionBuilder v0.9f2 UPDATED!!
Defend The Outer Colony. fight for your king and uncover the secrets of this land.
Temporary version at
http://thunderwolf.x10hosting.com/index.php
"You can't defeat me, I've played Knights and Merchants"
<<

merchant_992

Pikeman

Post 29 Sep 2009, 14:54

Joymania did it in about 1.5 years. That was a company of 2/3 people with some extra beta testers. So probably it will take more time for some fans. But the technique has improved in 11 years, so maybe it is doable these days.
<<

harold

Knight

Post 29 Sep 2009, 15:31

They had a fulltime job making that game though..
<<

MichGal

Lance Carrier

Post 29 Sep 2009, 23:23

Thanks guys. I was just curious. I've been thinking about taking classes to learn how to make video games. It's just a thought though, nothing serious right now. I'm not a computer whiz or anything. In fact, if it wasn't for Lewin's help, I wouldn't have been able to play the maps everyone made.

Return to “General Talk”