Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

how to leave a server open?

<<

ovelhaohb

Peasant

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 23 Sep 2018, 15:15

how to leave a server open?

I have seen that there are several servers that are open 24 hours from various countries, I would like to know how I make one for Brazilians, I have many friends who play and can not host, I wanted to leave a 24 hour open for them !! How do I do?
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 23 Sep 2018, 19:39

Re: how to leave a server open?

If you don't know much about logging into your router or port forwarding then you will have a lot of homework to do. These are the most complicated parts of running a server, but they are essential. You should also know that running a server is not without risk. Considering risks, note especially that hosting a server on your home network could cause your internet speed to drag very slowly as more people use your server. If you do not have much bandwidth from your ISP(internet provider) then this slowdown will be even more prominent.

If you're still serious about running your own server, I will make another post with detailed steps that you have to take (or someone else can beat me to it) in order to run it. I'm not at my home computer right now so I can't do it until later! In the meantime, please do some reading on the links I provided if you're not already familiar with the topics.
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

ovelhaohb

Peasant

Post 24 Sep 2018, 03:27

If you don't know much about logging into your router or port forwarding then you will have a lot of homework to do. These are the most complicated parts of running a server, but they are essential. You should also know that running a server is not without risk. Considering risks, note especially that hosting a server on your home network could cause your internet speed to drag very slowly as more people use your server. If you do not have much bandwidth from your ISP(internet provider) then this slowdown will be even more prominent.

If you're still serious about running your own server, I will make another post with detailed steps that you have to take (or someone else can beat me to it) in order to run it. I'm not at my home computer right now so I can't do it until later! In the meantime, please do some reading on the links I provided if you're not already familiar with the topics.

I already have everything configured in my modem, I just want to know how to leave the server open 24 hours, I have a dedicated net pc only for hosting!
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 24 Sep 2018, 14:29

I already have everything configured in my modem, I just want to know how to leave the server open 24 hours, I have a dedicated net pc only for hosting!
Perfect! Then I'm dealing with a very knowledgeable person then ;) Forgive me from starting at such a low level, but I'm sure you understand that I had no way of knowing your experience!

Forgive me, for not following through on my promise yesterday to update the topic with instructions on running a KaM server. I made it home very late and went straight to bed. Tonight (about 8 hours from now) I'll let you know what to do. (unless of course someone beats me to it!)
<<

ovelhaohb

Peasant

Post 24 Sep 2018, 15:46

Perfect! Then I'm dealing with a very knowledgeable person then ;) Forgive me from starting at such a low level, but I'm sure you understand that I had no way of knowing your experience!

Forgive me, for not following through on my promise yesterday to update the topic with instructions on running a KaM server. I made it home very late and went straight to bed. Tonight (about 8 hours from now) I'll let you know what to do. (unless of course someone beats me to it!)

Okay, I'll be waiting!
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 25 Sep 2018, 01:00

To set up a KaM Remake server on Windows:

Find the ...\KaM Remake\KaM_Remake_settings.ini file. Here you will see much of the configuration for KaM Remake. It's worth looking around this file as it's pretty handy. You want to go to the bottom; the [Server] section:
  Code:
[Server] ServerName=KaM Remake Server WelcomeMessage= ServerPort= AnnounceDedicatedServer=1 MaxRooms=16 HTMLStatusFile=KaM_Remake_Server_Status.html MasterServerAnnounceInterval=180 MasterServerAddressNew=http://kam.hodgman.id.au/ AutoKickTimeout=20 PingMeasurementInterval=1000
You need to give it a name and a port (I used 56789). Leave the master server at http://kam.hodgman.id.au/.
The port you use needs to be opened in the port forwarding section of your router. If you want your server's name to be color themed (maybe some yellow, green, and blue for Brazil? ;)), please check out the wiki's page for instructions.

Once you save the file, you'll be able to start the server with the ...\KaM Remake\KaM_Remake_Server_win32.exe file. Start the server and you'll get a console displaying the status of the server.

You might also be able to use the GUI. It's new with the 8000+ Beta of the Remake, but it might still work with the public version too. Copy it to your KaM Remake folder and start it up if you'd like to give it as try. I've attached it to this post so that you can download it.

Good luck! let me know if you have any questions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

ovelhaohb

Peasant

Post 25 Sep 2018, 16:28

To set up a KaM Remake server on Windows:

Find the ...\KaM Remake\KaM_Remake_settings.ini file. Here you will see much of the configuration for KaM Remake. It's worth looking around this file as it's pretty handy. You want to go to the bottom; the [Server] section:
  Code:
[Server] ServerName=KaM Remake Server WelcomeMessage= ServerPort= AnnounceDedicatedServer=1 MaxRooms=16 HTMLStatusFile=KaM_Remake_Server_Status.html MasterServerAnnounceInterval=180 MasterServerAddressNew=http://kam.hodgman.id.au/ AutoKickTimeout=20 PingMeasurementInterval=1000
You need to give it a name and a port (I used 56789). Leave the master server at http://kam.hodgman.id.au/.
The port you use needs to be opened in the port forwarding section of your router. If you want your server's name to be color themed (maybe some yellow, green, and blue for Brazil? ;)), please check out the wiki's page for instructions.

Once you save the file, you'll be able to start the server with the ...\KaM Remake\KaM_Remake_Server_win32.exe file. Start the server and you'll get a console displaying the status of the server.

You might also be able to use the GUI. It's new with the 8000+ Beta of the Remake, but it might still work with the public version too. Copy it to your KaM Remake folder and start it up if you'd like to give it as try. I've attached it to this post so that you can download it.

Good luck! let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you, Server is already Online and Operator !!!
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 25 Sep 2018, 16:40

Perfect! I'll check it out when I get home.

This server might be a great help, actually. We have a few Brazil players with notoriously bad ping. We in the States and Europe may have more luck trying to connect to your Brazil server when playing with them.

Return to “General Talk”