Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Huge lags on XP again

<<

Kam Fan

Post 14 Nov 2008, 21:30

Huge lags on XP again

Dear KaM fans

I tried and tried, numerous times, search online and on forums, reinstalled my OS (XP) and hoped with fresh instalation it will help to run the game well, but I have failed. Nothing helps, I read a similar thread on this forum about the LAG problems in VISTA. Bottom line is this. I install the game KaM PR install the new patch SR2. Before instaliling the patch the game crashes, after it runs but there are huuuuuuuge lags. Mouse is slow as hell, funny part is that couple of seconds after I am IN the mainmenu, the cursor runs well, and then it starts to laag. If this is a common problem? What can I do to play one of the best games in this category?!?!?! Please advise !
<<

harold

Knight

Post 14 Nov 2008, 21:54

I have never heard of this in XP..
Do other games work well?
<<

Litude

King Karolus

Post 14 Nov 2008, 22:23

Could you post some system specs? Mainly interested in your processor.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 15 Nov 2008, 01:12

Hi,
Do you have your graphics drivers installed? That can sometimes result in really weird lagging on XP. I experienced huge lag on my computer (including whilest simple stuff like using drop down forms!) until I installed the Nvidia drivers for my 6600.

One more suggestion: Right click on the TPR EXE then click on the compatibility tab. Try changing it to compatibility for Windows 95/98 and then run the EXE again. Probably won't help, but worth a try.

As Litude said, system specs would be nice, although KaM isn't very fussy and should run on almost anything.
Lewin.
<<

H.A.H.

Post 15 Nov 2008, 08:00

Thx for the fast reply guys. I played around with the game yesterday a bit. I think I have discovered the mouse problem, but it seems to ridicouls to be a solution. Well I had one of those additional "shortcuts toolbars" on my desktop. I closed it before running the game and the mouse lag was gone (perhaps this might help to that VISTA guy, there is one of those toolbars there as well). All happy I started the game in KaM SK and after some time everything froze and my laptop stars to mage very loud beeping sounds, like some hardware failure would occur. Only way to go back to the system again is to turn it off manually, and then after that I have to sett the right resoultion back on, because for some reason the system remebers settingsfrom the game. I have a DELL VOSTRO 1500 Core Duo @ 2,2GHz and 2GB RAM with NVIDIA 8600GT and XP SP2 installed on it. So I think the computer is well cappable of running this game :]
I will try to run the other campaign and see if the problems is the same.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 15 Nov 2008, 09:25

All happy I started the game in KaM SK and after some time everything froze and my laptop stars to mage very loud beeping sounds, like some hardware failure would occur. Only way to go back to the system again is to turn it off manually, and then after that I have to sett the right resoultion back on, because for some reason the system remebers settingsfrom the game.
That beeping sounds like a motherboard error or an over heated CPU or GPU. Very strange... Prehaps it is getting too hot? Laptops will over heat easily even with just a little bit of 3D rendering. (such as KaM)
Try proping the corners of you laptop up a bit so it doesn't get too hot underneath. If it ever happens again feel the bottom of it to see how hot it is.
The only time my computer (a desktop, not laptop) beeped was when a cable was stuck in the CPU fan, causing it to nearly melt. :o
I will try to run the other campaign and see if the problems is the same.
It won't make any difference as to which campaign you run, assuming you are running them from KaM TPR. (not TSK) Or are you running TSK from TSK? :wink:

You're right, your specs are easy enough to run KaM. Just wanted to check.

So the problem's fixed? (apart from the beeping)
Lewin.
<<

H.A.H.

Post 15 Nov 2008, 10:16

Well like I said I checked if the PR will work, and it does !!!
I am in the middle of 3 mission and everything goes nice. But the TSK is still crashing. I have the dutch version of the game KaM PR, with english patch on top of it. I had so much fun years ago with the TSK so when I saw the new one in store I had to get it :] It does seem strange that the TSK campaign that I have on the PR disc crashes like that, and the PR campaign can be played.
As far the overheating I think it is almost immposible. My laptop is standing on one of those FAN STANDS, so there is constant supply of cool air to the bottom of it. I didn't have any problems with any other game, but this one.

So pritty much the only thing left now is to figure out why TSK is crashing while the PR is not. Beacuse I definetly want to go threw TSK again.
<<

kuba11100

Sword Fighter

Post 15 Nov 2008, 10:30

When I installed English TSK patch onto Polish TSK it was also crashing, it looked like mixed message numbers (it crashed exactly when the message should be shown). Also, the units were quiet.
<<

H.A.H.

Post 15 Nov 2008, 11:40

Well I don't have any prbolem with english patch so far, at least not the ones you have described. I just finished playing TPR because it crashed again with the beeping sound, I don't get it. I could play for a long long time and than boom, crash. Another theory I am coming up with it might be the music or something. I read in here somewhere that this might also cause problems. And if I am not wrong the crash that happend 5 minutes ago commenced when a song finished playing. But I am pritty sure that all tracks have been played threwout the time I have played the 3rd mission.
Man I hope we can fix this problem, thx for all your help in advance !!
<<

kuba11100

Sword Fighter

Post 15 Nov 2008, 15:47

Oh, sorry, you're talking about the TPR version, that what happened to me was in old TSK.

Check that all drivers are installed correctly (you can install older graphics drivers that are supported by your graphics card), disable all probrams running in background.
<<

Litude

King Karolus

Post 15 Nov 2008, 16:29

That beeping sounds like a motherboard error or an over heated CPU or GPU. Very strange... Prehaps it is getting too hot? Laptops will over heat easily even with just a little bit of 3D rendering. (such as KaM)
Does overheating really cause beeping? In my experience overheating CPU causes lag, reboot or just shuts the computer down without any noise and the GPU draws some completely weird artifacts on screen or might shut down itself.

@OP: Well I doubt it's the music, but in case you feel like trying it can be turned off from the settings menu.
<<

H.A.H.

Post 15 Nov 2008, 18:21

I came back to the game several times today, and it keeps crashing no matter what I do. I set the comaptibility to 98, turned off the music and such. The game just freezes randomly, now even without a beep just freezes. I don't understand. What is causing this? I hope it wasn't waste of my money. I shut down all other backround programs and it doesnt help. Maybe that new beta patch can help? Do you guys have any ideas left ?

What is so specific about this game that it gives those rpoblems.
<<

merchant_992

Pikeman

Post 15 Nov 2008, 18:41

Why installing a english patch over an dutch game? Try using the dutch patch and maybe an english language pack.

Return to “General Talk”