Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Multplayer problems

<<

Kevmo

Serf

Post 28 Oct 2008, 22:27

Multplayer problems

some one should really figure it out how to play on lan and not go out of sync!
<<

Litude

King Karolus

Post 29 Oct 2008, 07:22

Yeah, why don't you try it? :D
On a more serious note, that is ways too hard to fix unfortunately. :(
<<

Kevmo

Serf

Post 29 Oct 2008, 15:09

if i had the source code i could try
<<

Kevmo

Serf

Post 29 Oct 2008, 15:11

i think i know the problem,
the game lets both computer interpret the package and it should be on pc interpret both codes and send the informational.
<<

harold

Knight

Post 29 Oct 2008, 16:44

Could you please say that in a way that is a bit clearer?
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 29 Oct 2008, 23:14

Look, this is clearly pointless. This is impossible to fix without the source code, and no one has that.
If we did have the source code then we could probably fix it, but still it is quite a tricky bug, and it would probably need a lot of the code to be rewritten. It's not as if there is going to be a setting somewhere "Disable out of sync bug" is it? If it was that easy then surely they would have implemented it. I think in the later years of patching TPR this bug was put in the too hard basket.

So maybe you should send an email to Joymania and ask them for the source code? :wink:
Lewin.
<<

kuba11100

Sword Fighter

Post 31 Oct 2008, 13:21

I doubt Joymania will give the source code to someone, especially when only one person will ask for it. Even if more people will ask, they won't change their mind (BTW, has anybody tried it before?).
<<

merchant_992

Pikeman

Post 01 Nov 2008, 16:54

Many things have been asked joymania, but they never answered. Now several years later, we can mail them, but don't know if the would answer these questions.
<<

kuba11100

Sword Fighter

Post 02 Nov 2008, 12:06

I meant some kind of petition, where someone asked about giving the source code to someone, signed by many people. Was that kind of letter sent before?
<<

merchant_992

Pikeman

Post 02 Nov 2008, 16:00

As far I know no one has ever sent such a letter.

Would setting up a server maybe solve the problem? I never played when the server was still online. Then we need to figure out which data go to the server and where we can change the server adress in the main code.
<<

kuba11100

Sword Fighter

Post 02 Nov 2008, 18:46

I never played when the server was still online.
You mean Net-games server? I think that we are unable to set that kind of server - I bet it needs some specific software (I've never seen it working, too). Still we (read: more advanced people) can try to analyze somehow the sent and recieved data (anyway, is that possible?).
<<

harold

Knight

Post 02 Nov 2008, 21:14

Sure just fire up Wireshark and away you go
And you'd better hope you find a standard protocol, otherwise you have no feasible way to determine what the reply from the server should be (seeing as you won't be getting one)
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 02 Nov 2008, 23:35

Hi,
Sending a petition: Great idea, but how would we do that. You can't sign an email, so how will they know whether the names are real or not?
Also, which address would we send it to? As far as I knew Joymaina has split up, and I doubt anybody will still check the mail box.
So the idea would be to ask them to send one of the programmers (e.g. me, Harold, Krom, etc.) the source code, on the condition that we would not show anybody else and only use it to develop unoffical patches/mods. Sounds great, after all, it can't hurt trying. The worst they can do is ignore us or say no. KaM is ~10 years old! Surely they wouldn't mind. Lots of old games have their source code released after that much time.

Fixing the net-games server: Well I had a thread about this before. I located the server address in the EXE, and even changed it to my local computer and looked at the packets it sent me when trying to connect.
I was unable to make it do anything else though, I guess it wanted some kind of response.
Does anybody have any ideas or clues as to how the protocol operates? Because changing the server address is easy, and I may even be able to host the server for you.
Maybe we could email Topware and ask them for the master server program? (executable, not the source code) Do you think they'd give it to us? If they would then I could probably organize hosting it and getting KaM back online. Maybe we should ask The Knight to email them about the net-games server, after all he got the manual source code off them.

Lewin.
<<

kuba11100

Sword Fighter

Post 03 Nov 2008, 11:44

I was thinking about some kind of an website with some simple script that allows adding new signatures, but you're right, there's no way to check that the names are real.

There's a contact page, but as you said, they won't answer if they have split up, and I don't know who else have the source code (TopWare?).
<<

Thunderwolf

Crossbowman

Website: http://thunderwolf.freehost10.com/KaMMissionBuilder/index.php

Post 03 Nov 2008, 11:46

Maybe we could email Topware and ask them for the master server program? (executable, not the source code) Do you think they'd give it to us? If they would then I could probably organize hosting it and getting KaM back online. Maybe we should ask The Knight to email them about the net-games server, after all he got the manual source code off them.
Could be tried for the least.
Sending a petition: Great idea, but how would we do that. You can't sign an email, so how will they know whether the names are real or not?
Also, which address would we send it to? As far as I knew Joymaina has split up, and I doubt anybody will still check the mail box.
Probably not. At least not much.
Does anybody have any ideas or clues as to how the protocol operates?
what is the protocol used for it?
~old sig
MissionBuilder v0.9f2 UPDATED!!
Defend The Outer Colony. fight for your king and uncover the secrets of this land.
Temporary version at
http://thunderwolf.x10hosting.com/index.php
"You can't defeat me, I've played Knights and Merchants"

Return to “1.60 Patch (Service Release 3)”