Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Using Krom's Map Editor

<<

MrMew

Recruit

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 04 Oct 2014, 22:20

Using Krom's Map Editor

I looked around but couldn't find anything about how to use the editor. I'm fairly sure I know how terrain, elevation, buildings and objects work, but I don't know how to place units (if it is possible) or what to save it as and where.
No. I'm not getting the remake. Bother someone else.
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

Post 05 Oct 2014, 01:02

Re: Using Krom's Map Editor

I recommend using the remake editor because ot is moee user friendly. But if you insist on using krom his editor the dark lord can explain everything.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 05 Oct 2014, 03:36

Oh no you didn't Dicsoupcan!! :D

MrMew, since you insist on not using the Remake, you must make due with buggy and NOT user friendly software. In order to make a "mission" for TPR, you must first make a map with Krom's editor. Are you having trouble placing objects (like trees, stones, sticks)? If so, let me know and I can help with that :)

Once you make a map with Krom's editor, you must place it in a folder in your TPR directory. You can place it in any folder, but I recommend making your own as it's easier to keep track. Also, make the name unique, but don't go overboard. Special characters and spaces are not allowed in map names so keep it simple.

After that, you need a mission editor. Lewin's is the most complete, but it is still quite buggy and runs very slow. WIth your old fashioned ways, maybe you'd prefer something even older I don't know. From inside Lewin's editor, you can place buildings, units, goals, etc.
(Keep in mind that there are numerous bigs and problems with making custom missions in TPR. For example, too many units will cause the game to go haywire. If you have more than 10 "objectives," which include messages and defeat conditions, you're game will ignore them. No more than 20 defensive positions either. Attacks? No more than 10. TPR was not meant for custom missions as you can see. Also, Lewin's editor won't regocnize relief from maps so you'll just have to guess on a lot of questions of terrain usage from inside the mission editor.)
Load the map you made with Krom's editor first. You'll need it as a reference if you plan on using the GUI. After done with the mission, you need to save over one of the missions in TPR. For example, if you want the game to load your mission, you'll need to remove an original mission so you can fit yours in. If you want to replace TPR missions, place your mission in the smaps folder and call it dmission1-14. For TSK, replace mission1-20. Multiplayer missions are mmission1-? (I think) and single missions are smission 1-?. Keep backups! Otherwise you won't be able to play the original missions again (not that they are any good lol).

Good luck!
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

MrMew

Recruit

Post 05 Oct 2014, 04:59

Thanks, I'll look into getting the mission editor, I'm not in a hurry and just wanted to make so single player maps to play (so I wasn't worried about attacks). Also is there a way to change the map size?
No. I'm not getting the remake. Bother someone else.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 06 Oct 2014, 16:43

On Krom's editor? You select the map size on start of making a map.

Unless you mean changing a map's size after you've already started making a map. If so, you need to copy the map's terrain using copy/paste. Then paste it into a (usually) larger map. Note that the mission editors will still respect the original X and Y positions of the map, so you will may have to change the positions of attacks, defensive positions, etc. to account for that. It is for this reason that it is better to expand a map downward on the Y-axis and upward on the X-axis rather than visa versa.
I used to spam this forum so much...

Return to “General Talk”