Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Wooden Shields and Armory Workshops

<<

simpelekees

Woodcutter

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 15 Sep 2014, 08:37

Re: Wooden Shields and Armory Workshops

I still don't like the idea of all buildings being unlocked from start. However, I also don't see it as a problem for beginners. Just have the tutorial (which itself needs to be improved) use normal unlock order and they should be fine ;p
as i stated before, it is already possible to make everything unlocked fomr the start in the map editor, there is no need to make a game option for it :P if people like to play that way they just edit the map.
not a bad idea. I'd like to try and play a game with 0 PT and everything unlocked. Either a well-balanced Army/economy game evolves, or the game evolves into a no brainer market rush game.

Actually, thinking about it, why do players start with so much food as they do in normal maps? It allows them to rush huge armies without having to worry too much about food.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 15 Sep 2014, 17:05

Actually, thinking about it, why do players start with so much food as they do in normal maps? It allows them to rush huge armies without having to worry too much about food.
TS player play on maps where we can focus on pretty much all aspects of economy nearly simultaneously. Personally, I like this since it avoids long stretches of only doing one type of thing. (For example, I'm not a huge fan of maps that forces players to immediatly build 4 quarries or they will run out of stone. I like the option to go 3 quarries -> woodcutter -> 1 quarry.)
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 15 Sep 2014, 17:09

lol ben, in the new unlock order i always go school -> cutter+ 1 quarry -> sawmill + 4 quarries

anyway i actually would like to make a map that has lower food standards in orde rto make it more important. the problem is, people generally tends to dislike those maps.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

simpelekees

Woodcutter

Post 15 Sep 2014, 17:57

TS player play on maps where we can focus on pretty much all aspects of economy nearly simultaneously. Personally, I like this since it avoids long stretches of only doing one type of thing. (For example, I'm not a huge fan of maps that forces players to immediatly build 4 quarries or they will run out of stone. I like the option to go 3 quarries -> woodcutter -> 1 quarry.)
@Ben
What does TS mean?

@Dicsoupcan
The new unlock?
Isn't it an option for developers to make resources start changeable in the game lobby? Like low/high. Low being with about 1/2 of the food resources one starts with now (usually), or with low/high setable by map design.

Right now, 60 PT seems decent to me, but yet suicide rushes are quite viable, maybe it is even a must when on "no tower" maps. Even more viable when markets are enabled (trade all fish for grain for instance, for a Knight rush). I always prefer no PT (no no rush games), but with KAM it seems a necessary evil, yet I do think map design and resources a player start with, should be more competitive:
1. Maps quite open, with too many entrances to block all with towers.
2. Start-resources like food scarce, so a full ignorance of food production, or a full blown Pig farm strat will always need to be supported by Wine, Fish, Bread or a combination.

But these things are not on-topic. Maybe I'll consider a new topic.
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 15 Sep 2014, 19:03

@Ben
What does TS mean?

@Dicsoupcan
The new unlock?
Isn't it an option for developers to make resources start changeable in the game lobby? Like low/high. Low being with about 1/2 of the food resources one starts with now (usually), or with low/high setable by map design.

Right now, 60 PT seems decent to me, but yet suicide rushes are quite viable, maybe it is even a must when on "no tower" maps. Even more viable when markets are enabled (trade all fish for grain for instance, for a Knight rush). I always prefer no PT (no no rush games), but with KAM it seems a necessary evil, yet I do think map design and resources a player start with, should be more competitive:
2. Start-resources like food scarce, so a full ignorance of food production, or a full blown Pig farm strat will always need to be supported by Wine, Fish, Bread or a combination.

let me clear a few things up here.
first of all TS means teamspeak, it is a part where the best players gather (at least no one has proven them wrong yet) but yet it is unknown to the general public of players.

with the new unlock order i mean that you can build both the woodcutter and the quarry after building the school, the traditional kam unlock order was school -> inn -> quarry -> woddcutter -> sawmill, but the devs changed it in order to speed up the earlygame.

and some people have tried to make a few maps like you suggested, but those map were just not liked in general so they disappeared.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

simpelekees

Woodcutter

Post 15 Sep 2014, 20:06

@Ben
What does TS mean?

@Dicsoupcan
The new unlock?

let me clear a few things up here.
first of all TS means teamspeak, it is a part where the best players gather (at least no one has proven them wrong yet) but yet it is unknown to the general public of players.

with the new unlock order i mean that you can build both the woodcutter and the quarry after building the school, the traditional kam unlock order was school -> inn -> quarry -> woddcutter -> sawmill, but the devs changed it in order to speed up the earlygame.

and some people have tried to make a few maps like you suggested, but those map were just not liked in general so they disappeared.
I know TS means Teamspeak. Just thought that it would mean something else in this context lol. I'd like to beat them some time :)
So ye, I prefer the woodcutter right after the school than the traditional. But hey, I prefer total unlock.

Return to “Ideas / Suggestions”