Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Blocking units

<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 18 Nov 2013, 12:48

Re: Blocking units

@Pawel: "here, you can make it, but nope, you cant use it" that is the same pattern we can avoid by blocking units.

- Same way TSK keeps gold/iron mines locked if they can't be used
- and same way Fishers hut is blocked on maps without water
- building menu locked in fighting missions
- wares ratio menu blocked for unreachable wares

It would be good to find the reasoning behind these things, something better than "because KAM had it". Look at it from the other side, imagine KaM had it locked, just like houses: what is the improvement in unlocking things that can't be used? Why was it made for units, but not for houses?
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 18 Nov 2013, 17:03

I see there is no discussion about keeping the spirit of kam alive...
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

Post 18 Nov 2013, 17:29

this change does not change the way the original campaign are played in any way, i really do not see any harm in it. it is not like they say hey let's add knights to mission 01!
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 18 Nov 2013, 17:31

Lol. That for sure, they do the opposite thing: Hey, don´t make lances in mission 01,because you cant make armories.
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

Post 18 Nov 2013, 17:37

the original did not allow you to build armories, and you can keep the lanser and bowman unblocked because of the leather ajckets in the barracks. now please tell me exactly how the original spirit is ruined?
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 18 Nov 2013, 17:39

For example of not being able to make Butchers in tsk01...
<<

Bence791

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 18 Nov 2013, 17:44

Lol. That for sure, they do the opposite thing: Hey, don´t make lances in mission 01,because you cant make armories.
Take a look at this pic again:

You CAN make lances (and training lancers enable you to win TSK 1 in 9 minutes, with archers it takes a while longer [9 min 30 sec]).

@Tom, and others who'd like to cheat in the campaigns: Were cheats "enabled" back in the day to be commonly used (I haven't written simply "to be used" because I guess the creditors implemented the cheats, to help in difficult missions)? Erm, no ? Of course not. And I guess TSK 1 is a mission where you don't need knights to win, do you? I think that it would be a great idea (thanks andreus for your work! :)).

Anyway not sure if anyone of you is aware (I guess those who have scripted missions or implemented the scripts are) that blocking units can already be done through dynamic scripts by a bit of workaround. Was anyone against those scripts being implemented? Nope. Then don't be now, either ;P

EDIT: We don't need fishers either, Andreus ;)
The Kamper is always taking my colour!

<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 18 Nov 2013, 17:51

Bence. That is called an example. Then i mean making metallurgists in tsk01, who cares, its just about the change of the campaign.

We don´t need fishers? Well the first problem just poped out. Blocking wrong units....Since when there is no water bence?
<<

Bence791

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 18 Nov 2013, 17:55

We don´t need fishers? Well the first problem just poped out. Blocking wrong units....Since when there is no water bence?
The actual first problem "popped out". Since when are there fishers in TSK?
The Kamper is always taking my colour!

<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 18 Nov 2013, 17:57

The actual first problem "popped out". Since when are there fishers in TSK?
Since 2001 when TPR came out, and in TSK also fisherhuts were added?!!?!?!?!?!
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

Post 18 Nov 2013, 17:58

But in the original TSK the fisherman did not exist, so it is a change in the gameplay. So i still do not see the point against this implementation?
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 18 Nov 2013, 17:59

But in the original TSK the fisherman did not exist, so it is a change in the gameplay. So i still do not see the point against this implementation?
NO. Because TPR is not a Remake of TSK. Its a standalone Add-On for TSK.
After the TPR came out, in that TPR Version, the missions of TSK had also fish(ermen).

Btw Bence, look at the bottom lake of TSK01, mass fishes :wink:
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

Post 18 Nov 2013, 18:04

But if you take it that road you can see the remake as a add on to the original with full multiplayer suppiort, map editor, custom campaign, custom scripts etc etc etc..

If we want to stick to the original we should remove all those features then.
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 18 Nov 2013, 18:07

But if you take it that road you can see the remake as a add on to the original with full multiplayer suppiort, map editor, custom campaign, custom scripts etc etc etc..
Multiplayer support = MUCH improved Multiplayer than in TPR, no gameplay setting is edited/destroyed.
Map Editor = Great Adding, no other old gameplay setting is edited/destroyed because of that editor
Custom Campaign = "See above"
Custom scripts = When these CUSTOM SCRIPTS are used in CUSTOM MISSIONS, I wouldn´t have any problem :mrgreen:

So just in comparision with blocking units = No improvement, more confusion than helping, changing the system of KaM which speciality has e.g. that you can make in your city what you "The King" says.
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

Post 18 Nov 2013, 18:21

blocking units might actually help new players, as they will notice hey i cannot make these units yet, i probably need to unlock them in further missions. just like units and production facilities were blocked in the earlier missions of command and conquer and red alert.

Return to “Ideas / Suggestions”