Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Knights and Merchants Online (browser-game)

<<

Erwin

Post 31 Aug 2013, 16:10

Knights and Merchants Online (browser-game)

Hi,

I am not entirely sure if this is the correct subforum and all, but it is related to development, but not specifically the KAM Remake, so I decided to put it here.

Anyway, I was curious if it would be possible to create a browser game version of Knights and Merchants. So I started thinking and programming something that eventually should become Knights and Merchants browser game. Currently I am next to nowhere near anything, but I have got a (grass only:P) map and the ability to scroll through it using the arrow buttons on the keyboard. I am thinking of a best way to draw all the multiple layers of stuff there is to draw, but it is quite complicated. Apparently I will also need to use shaders, which I have no experience with. I have been browsing the KAM remake code, but it is all quite complicated to just dive into, also I don't know pascal. So I was wondering if someone would like to brainstorm with me for a bit on how to keep track of all the map data and draw everything accordingly.

I want to boild the game using HTML5 (canvas and webgl) and Javascript. The Javascript will be coded using Typescript. I think everyone with some web-knowledge will understand why I want to use HTML5 and Javascript. For those who wonder why I would use Typescript for writing Javascript Typescript is a typed superset of Javascript. Typescript supports classes, interfaces and inheritance. Apart from that, it also has some great tooling (visual studio/sublime text).

A demo of what I have made so far: http://erwinvd.nl/kam/ (you might need to refresh it once, because it appears the sprite doesn't load properly the first time).
<<

Skypper

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 31 Aug 2013, 17:34

Re: Knights and Merchants Online (browser-game)

Hi,
i posted a kind of the same idea a while back.
topic viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1693

i think that if it can be worked out well, it would be awesome, but that would be very hard.
about our site, i can see your map for around 1/2 second then i see grass, one title water and 3 title forest ground.
i looked at your map with chrome and opera
Greets Skypper (Totally Insane)

- Beginning map maker -
<<

Duke Valennius

Militia

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 31 Aug 2013, 20:22

About rendering: I think the best way to reinvent wheel is to copy it, so you could start there: http://www.kamremake.com/devblog/render ... 2/#more-77 .
also I don't know pascal
This seems like an excuse. ;) If you know JavaScript, you shouldn't have much problems reading languages like Pascal, C/C++, Java. It's not like it was Haskell or Prolog, that I would accept as an excuse. :D
create a browser game version of Knights and Merchants
Does this mean a clone that runs in browser (like there is version of Wolfenstein or C&C in HTML5), or persistent world like Skypper suggests (like Travian or something). If clone, than good luck. I understand desire to make game in HTML, but this one isn't as simple as it might look.
If that is case of persistent world, I would rather consider using own graphics and own 'world'... but that is your choice.
At any rate, keep in mind that KaM (with its data) is protected by copyrights, which KaM Remake handles by requiring original installed. Not that I think somebody really cares... ;)

Should you need any advice on shaders, you can ask me, I pretty much know OpenGL & glsl (though my knowledge is from version 3.0+, but principle is the same)

Anyway, good luck ;)
<<

Erwin

Serf

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 31 Aug 2013, 20:46

About rendering: I think the best way to reinvent wheel is to copy it, so you could start there: http://www.kamremake.com/devblog/render ... 2/#more-77 .
Thanks! Will look into that.
also I don't know pascal
This seems like an excuse. ;) If you know JavaScript, you shouldn't have much problems reading languages like Pascal, C/C++, Java. It's not like it was Haskell or Prolog, that I would accept as an excuse. :D
A tiny excuse :P It seemed really different, maybe if I spend some more time on it I will understand.
create a browser game version of Knights and Merchants
Does this mean a clone that runs in browser (like there is version of Wolfenstein or C&C in HTML5), or persistent world like Skypper suggests (like Travian or something). If clone, than good luck. I understand desire to make game in HTML, but this one isn't as simple as it might look.
If that is case of persistent world, I would rather consider using own graphics and own 'world'... but that is your choice.
At any rate, keep in mind that KaM (with its data) is protected by copyrights, which KaM Remake handles by requiring original installed. Not that I think somebody really cares... ;)
I intended it as a clone, maybe some small differences but basically the same game. About copyrights: yeah, that kinda worries me. KaM Remake developers handled that issue really well. The copyright stuff also discourages me, because it can just be taken down if the copyright holders want it down. I mean I don't want to make money off of it, but I don't want to make it JUST for the fun of it. It would be great if people could play it. (Would be nice to have online game saves, so you can play whereever you want, just login and go!)
Should you need any advice on shaders, you can ask me, I pretty much know OpenGL & glsl (though my knowledge is from version 3.0+, but principle is the same)

Anyway, good luck ;)
Thanks, I will have to read up on some documentation on that.. got a tutorial to read, but it seems really complicated... bit scared :P
<<

Bence791

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 31 Aug 2013, 20:51

I don't want to discourage you, but 1 short question: why do we need it? If I have internet somewhere, I can download the Remake to play (assuming it would need the same graphics and audio stuff, so actually no difference?). Also, if it wouldn't need the original game (I doubt if you could make it to require TPR actually), then you will surely have copyright issues.
The Kamper is always taking my colour!

Return to “General / Questions”