AI not working properly in remake

<<

Icescyfe

Serf

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 25 Aug 2013, 01:17

AI not working properly in remake

-------- Brief Introduction, issue addressed later ----------

Hi! I'm a long time KaM player and have played the original TSK/TPR (more TSK though) through more times than...well...something big :P I know the missions back to front and know exactly what the AI can do/will do including when he produces troops, builds stuff, town development etc.

After playing this game a LOT when I was younger, I lay down my pixelated sword and shield for a few years before blowing the dust off my CD case and putting it in. I played through both campaigns but eventually got fed up with a rather annoying glitch with the opponent's army (too many were made and ended up spanning half the map, very scattered units) in TPR, which led me to look for a fix/suggestions, which then led me to KaM Remake :) around two months ago. So, excited I downloaded the Remake and decided to play through the campaigns first to get a feel of the game before taking to multiplayer, as I never got the opportunity to play with others in the original as it refused to work for me on xp no matter what I tried. Anyway:

------- Problem --------

I thought the missions were a bit easier than before and skipped a few that I wasn't particularly keen on as I was most eager to play TSK 16 (favourite mission) and after scouting out the enemy (can get in with a knight far right of map through the gap between gold mine and brown rock) I noticed two things: first that the AI wasn't building anything and secondly that there was no weapon production going on in the second town (I scouted pretty late, like 20 mins in so that should have started by then). I thought it would just take a while to kick in but nope, nothing really happened. I ended up quitting the mission after 40 minutes of game time as killing the starter army just isn't fun :(. Intrigued, I carefully looked at the other missions (as I played through quickly before, those that I didn't skip) and noticed the same problem. TSK 15 also had the same problem (bottom right enemy town, couldn't scout north one) as did all the other ones I looked at. Is the scripting simply not finished/paused, or will it stay like this? I didn't check TPR as I'm more familiar with TSK and assumed that the same problem would be there also.

>>>Also a question which has interested me since I discovered remake: Are the maps from the original two campaigns somehow imported or (screenied/captured?) built from scratch.<<<

Also is there any way/plan to rebuff range units for the original campaigns as some missions are extremely hard to complete because of their severely reduced power, off the top of my head TSK 5/(6, but still easily completable)/8(very noticeable)/11(sort of noticable) and issues with the other ones too. I don't know the TPR maps off by heart/by name but there were a few places where I couldn't cope with preliminary attacks because of the reduced effectiveness of range units.

--- More examples ---

TSK 11, green enemy doesn't attack from the south, also their stonemason doesn't mine through the rock to make way for units. Purple (I think it's purple :p) enemy doesn't make attacks on gold mine but goes where green would go instead.

TPR 1, mission is harder because of rebalance, pretty damn tough actually in comparison to original

TSK 14, hit and run tactic doesn't work (it's sort of a cheat but used by a lot of people who I know played KaM) where you send a small troop to intercept the attacks before they get close to your town, which engages them and after they kill your troops they turn around and go home, giving you more time to build up your army. Enemy instead wipes your guys out and proceeds to destroy your town (which could be just a buff, if so then good job ;p)

TRP 4/5? Can't remember. The one where you have a storehouse with a bunch of iron/gold/coal and you have to defend it from two enemies. I've had two things happen on this one; firstly if I destroy the storehouse the soldiers sometimes get confused and just stand there (in original they went to attack your base instead) or if you don't destroy they go straight for your storehouse (in original they waited like 30/40 secs so that you had time to get your army in formation to defend storehouse) which makes is pretty much impossible to win. That being said, sometimes it goes down normally so idk what's going on there.

TSK 16, attack at start shouldn't happen, it's ~2 hours too early (not sure if added for extra difficulty).

TSK 15, can defeat green completely with starter army (it's much easier to do so in Remake than original surprisingly)

TSK 17/19, can pick off troops one by one making the whole thing much easier than it should be, troops don't react to others being attacked allowing many more men to kill one troop at a time.

TSK 19, crossbowmen much, much harder to kill (on the wall bit) than they should be, even if you provide cover from other troops and have a full compliment of 24 crossbowmen, you're still lucky to kill all of them. In original there's a one square safe zone where you can fire at them and they can't fire at you. Debatable whether this should be there or not, but the enemy crossbowmen seem to target your crossbowmen regardless of a 'wall' of your troops in front. This mission is completable but it's too easy at the beginning and too hard for the final bit.

TSK 20, quite a bit wrong with this. First problem is first battle is much harder than in original, even using best tactics I escape with few men. Secondly attacks don't happen as they should and towns don't develop as they should either.

Also in one mission enemy died due to food shortage (?) before I got round to killing, can't remember which one though.

That's most of the things I found, I have a few more examples if anyone wants them but I won't bore you for now :p This isn't really a big problem, hell most people have the originals anyway and their presence on Remake is more a courtesy than a requirement and I understand that more attention is on the multiplayer game (very good by the way, great job, I like it :D) but it'd be nice to know if this will ever be looked at.

~Ice
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 25 Aug 2013, 03:33

Re: AI not working properly in remake

Pawel can help with many of these, I think. He was kindly working on fixing the campaigns for the Remake.

I can address that the AI may act strangely because the AI is still under development. It will be awhile before they start building properly, for example.

As for TSK 11, I'm pretty sure that the stonemason does, in fact, dig through the stone.
Also is there any way/plan to rebuff range units for the original campaigns as some missions are extremely hard to complete because of their severely reduced power, off the top of my head TSK 5/(6, but still easily completable)/8(very noticeable)/11(sort of noticable) and issues with the other ones too. I don't know the TPR maps off by heart/by name but there were a few places where I couldn't cope with preliminary attacks because of the reduced effectiveness of range units.
There are no plans to make units adjust their stats according to the original campaigns. Since multiplayer is the priority, the units will be powered according to game mechanics, not specific missions (which, of course, is the right way to do it). Many of the unit unbalances made via tweaking unit stats were addressed by increasing/decreasing the amount of troops in the mission. For example, the human player in mission 8 was given more bowmen.

I encourage you to look at Pawel's topic on the campaigns: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1254
Have a nice day!
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 25 Aug 2013, 10:12

Re: AI not working properly in remake

Like Ben said I worked at the AI Balance/Fixing in the Remake. However I stopped after finishing TPR for now, because Lewin told me I should wait for the next bigger update until I shall start fixing TSK ...
...because the AI is still under development.
However I am not even sure if Lewin has one other guy who just started to fix the TSK Campaign, I remember there sth. He would need to tell me if I should even continue with TSK or not....

Return to “General / Questions”