Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Serverlist IP hiding

<<

Ultimation

Peasant

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 14 Aug 2013, 10:18

Serverlist IP hiding

Hey there. I have been silently following KAM Remake and decided I wanted to do something for the community. I wanted to host a deticated server for you. The only problem I have, and which is holding me back doing so, is that my IP address will be out there in the open. Isn't it possible to use hostnames? Or even better, don't even show the ip-adresses in this website list?
<<

Skypper

Knight

Post 14 Aug 2013, 10:21

Re: Serverlist IP hiding

i don't know very much about this, but i am interested in it to.
can they do something if i host a game on my one PC?

nice that you want to do something for the comunity
Greets Skypper (Totally Insane)

- Beginning map maker -
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

Post 14 Aug 2013, 11:56

Lol, are you joking? Every hostname can be easily resolved to an IP-address, especially if you're connected to it..
<<

Ultimation

Peasant

Post 14 Aug 2013, 12:12

Lol, are you joking? Every hostname can be easily resolved to an IP-address, especially if you're connected to it..
To resolve the hostname you have to put some effort into it. Which not everyone wants to do. Anyhows, is there a point of showing the server's ip address in the list where you still have to use the game lobby to connect to any?

The list is now open to the public, which increases the ease for people wanting to do harm to do so. Since the KAM Remake multiplayer community is alot smaller than the public it also has a slighted smaller chance of people wanting to do harm.

More a security thing t.b.h.
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

Post 14 Aug 2013, 12:23

To resolve the hostname you have to put some effort into it. Which not everyone wants to do. Anyhows, is there a point of showing the server's ip address in the list where you still have to use the game lobby to connect to any?

The list is now open to the public, which increases the ease for people wanting to do harm to do so. Since the KAM Remake multiplayer community is alot smaller than the public it also has a slighted smaller chance of people wanting to do harm.

More a security thing t.b.h.
The ones that want to do harm will definitely be able to resolve your hostname to IP. Besides, Server security is always important. Not showing an IP will not make a difference in safety. Why do you think all successful multiplayer games allow you to view the server IP. It's not really an issue and I have yet to discover why you think it is..
<<

Nissarin

Pikeman

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 14 Aug 2013, 13:08

I think we have enough servers already, at least in EU, if someone wanted to host server in USA that might be a different story. Besides that AV is right - someone wanting to 'attack' your server will know how to use e.g. simple ping command to resolve the hostname, not that he would have to do it in the first place.

Return to “Ideas / Suggestions”