Conquest mode - script

<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 16 Jun 2013, 03:58

Re: Conquest mode - script

There is still a problem with archers atacking the houses in the second solution :/
You're right, I added Actions.HouseAddRepair (not sure how we missed that before anyway), that should solve all your problems :)
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 16 Jun 2013, 04:33

Although, you can still destroy enemy buildings (got to think of a solution for that...)
We could give you a HouseAddRepair option so you can continuously repair them. Or you could make houses be captured by standing on any tile next to the house (so you can't attack because the house belongs to you, except with ranged units...), although that's harder to implement with different shaped houses (not too difficult though, you could write a function which checks it for each house type or something).

EDIT: I had a look at the script, it's neat, I like the way you don't depend on where the houses are placed or how many there are of each type :) So to change the houses you only need to edit the map. You can even have each player start with a few house rather than being neutral with no changes to the script (as I see you've done with woodcutters). Very good design there! Easy to change and adapt.

Maybe you could add an overlay showing how many houses each player/team owns? Or maybe that's not necessary?
All the scriping work ios credit to sado, i only delivered ideas and work on our map, which has some suggestions from sado aswell.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

sado1

Council Member

Post 16 Jun 2013, 09:24

The idea is great, at the begining looking at the map I felt like in Heroes.
Look, someone knows where I stole the original idea from! :)
First of all: the sources of strong iron units and especially knights should be more secure, not on the front line to prevent snowball effect - one side gaining upper hand suddenly weekens enemy, and strenghtens itself to the great point. Imho it should be few basic woodcutters near, than strong core, and on the frontline building for the bold, with bonus leather units.
Hmm... that's right, but still the game isn't that short even with the snowball effect in place. I'm going to somehow reduce the impact of knights on the game - I'll either make the knights spawning time very long, or make the stables non-capturable (only one team will be able to capture their own stables, the other team will just be able to claim it for an AI player)
- Wider map might leave some space for scouts to be implemented with new building (whatever, a grain farm even) In fact the buildings might be abstract, leaving options for TPR units also.
- Consider capturable towers (rare, for example for minor passages)
Haven't thought that Siegfried's script would have real competition, but that mode has really great potential! ; )
Scouts are not here more because of horses being overpowered enough (there was too many horses in action, with scouts in place). Maybe on a bigger map it'll change.
Capturable towers - yeah I thought about this, might add later. Thanks for the feedback :)
@Lewin: thanks for the new command, and yeah I might add a simple and small overlay soon.
EDIT: I had a look at the script, it's neat, I like the way you don't depend on where the houses are placed or how many there are of each type :) So to change the houses you only need to edit the map. You can even have each player start with a few house rather than being neutral with no changes to the script (as I see you've done with woodcutters). Very good design there! Easy to change and adapt.
Thanks! :)
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 16 Jun 2013, 14:06

It works well, but I have some suggestions:
- Order 5 recruits in the schools automatically, no reason not to. I forgot one school and so I had a lot of unusable weapons
- I think it's good to have stables in the middle to be fought over since knights are special (and thus a big motivation), but apart from that I'd move the iron back to safer locations and put the leather along the front line. As Menszu said it will reduce snowballing. Currently if you lose a few front line iron buildings it's game over, since you'll never be able to fight back with just your leather units and militia. But if you were fighting over leather it would be more interesting.

EDIT:
Also hungry troops look bad. OnSoldierEquipped set their food to max, then they won't get hungry for 40 minutes which should be enough for any game.

Return to “Ideas / Suggestions”