Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Dynamic Script Formatting

<<

Tef

Lance Carrier

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 11 Jun 2013, 21:52

Dynamic Script Formatting

Also people have different coding standards (indentation, formatting, commenting, etc.) which could teach you bad habit
Now that you mention it: I have no programming background, so I have learned 'myself' how to program, but I'm not sure whether that is 'neat' or 'good', even though I'm trying to do that. I already see the benefits of coding in a very standardized manner, since I have many event triggers, functions and procedures by now. So, given the title of this topic (dynamic script usage), could others comment on what would be good coding practices? Or maybe I can send parts of my script to somebody that wishes to check it for me?

I'm using these 'rules':
- use indentation for whenever there is a 'begin'
- global constants in UPPERCASE_AND_SEPARATE
- local variables and arrays are like ThisVariable and ThatArray
- using a white space to create 'logical' blocks of code that fit together
- replacing as many integers for (global) variables. For example, checking if something is not there, i.e. = '-1'. I'm using a global variable NOTHING = -1 to enhance readability.
- use logical names for variables etc
- avoid unneccesary recalculations
- comments to explain code

To illustrate, view this first block:
  Code:
procedure onmissionstart; var i,innid: integer; list:array of integer; begin Actions.GiveHouse(0,27,10,8); for i := 0 to (length(States.PlayerGetAllHouses(0))-1) do begin list := States.PlayerGetAllHouses(0); if States.HouseType(list[i]) = 27 then begin innid := States.HouseType(list[i]); Actions.ShowMsg(-1,'Inn found, housetype = ' + IntToStr(States.HouseType(list[i]))); end; end; end;
How long did you take to figure out what this (very basic) script is doing? Now watch this second block of code:
  Code:
const // define global constants PLAYER_1 = 0; INN = 27; ALL_PLAYERS = -1; Procedure FindInnDisplayMessage; // this procedure searches for inns and then displays a message to all players var HouseWalker: integer; HousesListLength: integer; HouseList: array of integer; CurrentHouseID: integer; CurrentHouseType: integer; CurrentInn: integer; begin // retrieve all house-ids and store them into an array HouseList := States.PlayerGetAllHouses(PLAYER_1); HousesListLength := length(HouseList); // search the array for inns. if found, show a message for HouseWalker := 0 to (HousesListLength-1) do begin CurrentHouseID := HouseList[HouseWalker]; CurrentHouseType := States.HouseType(CurrentHouseID); if CurrentHouseType = INN then begin CurrentInn := CurrentHouseType; Actions.ShowMsg(ALL_PLAYERS,'Inn found, housetype = ' + IntToStr(CurrentInn)); end; end; end; Procedure OnMissionStart; // this procedure gives player 1 an inn and executes another procedure begin Actions.GiveHouse(PLAYER_1,INN,10,8); FindInnDisplayMessage; end;
The first and second block do exactly the same. They display a message when an inn is found. Even though the second block is much longer, I do prefer the second block :wink: My question to you all now: do you consider this second block of code 'neat' (enough)? Feedback please! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Tef on 13 Sep 2021, 14:02, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Split to a new topic
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 12 Jun 2013, 01:03

Re: Dynamic Script Usage

I must say, you're doing well for someone who is completely self-taught ;)
Those rules are pretty good. I'd also suggest:

- Doing unnecessary calculations is sometimes ok if it makes the script easier to read or shorter and won't cause problems. A lot of "optimisations" people try to make don't actually make a difference to performance, are done in places where performance doesn't matter, and make the code longer/less readable (there's an expression: premature optimisation is the root of all evil). For example if you're in OnMissionStart then performance doesn't matter unless your code will be using more than 10s of milliseconds, which it won't be unless you're doing something very CPU intensive. And storing something like States.HouseType in a local variable will make very little performance difference unless you use it hundreds of times, so

- Use shorter variable names in places where it doesn't affect readability (HouseWalker would be more readable as I, that's a commonly accepted name for for-loop variable when it's an integer)

- Put spaces after each comma (,) in function/procedure calls: DoSomething(a, b, 7) rather than DoSomething(a,b,7)

- Comments which describe what a procedure does are not helpful at all. For example "this procedure gives player 1 an inn and executes another procedure". Describing your doesn't help me read it unless it's very complicated/hard to understand. By looking at the lines below your comment I can see that it gives an inn and call some other procedure, but why does it do that? How. It's far better to explain why you are doing something, how it fits into the bigger purpose, or explain what it does without worrying programming concepts about HOW it does it (for example, "this procedure searches for inns and then displays a message to all players" could be written as "Displays a message to all players for each inn found in the game".

- Comments which explain simple ideas which your reader should already know are not helpful. For example "define global constants". That's only helpful if I haven't seen the "const" keyword before, hopefully all your readers will have, and if they haven't, it's not your job to explain what it means. I don't want to discourage you from writing comments, but make sure the comment tells the reader something he didn't know or would have had to spend time figuring out.

- You use WAY too many unnecessary local variables, it bulks out your code without improving readability. Examples:
a. HousesListLength := Length(HouseList); // What's better about the left side? Both imply "Length of HouseList" very clearly.
b. CurrentHouseID := HouseList[HouseWalker]; // Steps like this are only needed when the right hand side is something very long and ugly, like "HouseList[Players[i + PLAYER_OFFSET] - LAST_HOUSE + 1]". In that case you need this variable, but in your case it just makes the code longer, and means I have to go and check "where did CurrentHouseID come from?" if I start reading from the middle of the loop. If you take my suggestion of using I for your loop variable, then you get HouseList which is very clear to me, since it immediately tells me that it is being iterated by the loop. CurrentHouseID does not tell me that.
c. CurrentInn := CurrentHouseType; // This can be useful if you have some very complicated code which is hard to understand, and you want to make absolutely clear in the code after this that you are now dealing with an Inn, but in simpler cases like the one you presented it's just unnecessary.

- It's very unusual to indent all the lines within a procedure (including begin, end, var, etc.). It's more standard to have something like this:
  Code:
procedure DoSomething; var I, FirstVar: Integer; SecondVar: array of Booleans; begin FirstVar := 7; for I:=0 to 7 do DoSomethingElse(I); end;
Here's how I'd format your block:
  Code:
const PLAYER_1 = 0; INN = 27; ALL_PLAYERS = -1; // For every inn in the game, display a message to all players procedure DisplayInnMessages; var I: Integer; HouseList: array of Integer; begin // retrieve all house-ids and store them into an array HouseList := States.PlayerGetAllHouses(PLAYER_1); // search the array for inns. if found, show a message for I := 0 to Length(HouseList)-1 do if States.HouseType(HouseList[I]) = INN then Actions.ShowMsg(ALL_PLAYERS,'Inn found, housetype = ' + IntToStr(States.HouseType(HouseList[I]))); end; // At the start give player 1 an inn and tell all players about all inns in the game procedure OnMissionStart; begin Actions.GiveHouse(PLAYER_1, INN, 10, 8); DisplayInnMessages; end;
You'll notice my code is MUCH shorter, making it easier to read and maintain (more of your code fitting on your screen at once). This is a balance between shortness and readability of the code, but I think you went too far towards readability, shortness is also important. The only one of your local variables I considered keeping was CurrentHouseType, because it's used multiple times and the IntToStr bit has a lot of layers. However, I find it more readable without it, the way I formatted it above. I wouldn't say it's wrong to keep it though, since you probably find it easier to read that way with less layers. Using it twice means that it is slightly more efficient to store it locally, but that would only be worthwhile if this procedure was running OnTick, currently it's not happening often enough for that kind of optimisation to be needed.

Is my way right? Well I think it pretty good, but it's a matter of personal taste. You can see examples of code formatted in my style in Annie's Hill, Annie's Garden, Center Castle, Coastal Encounter Scored, and maybe a few other places. I've tried to write those as neatly/correctly as possible so people can get into good habits. Open them up and see what you think. Some of them are a bit longer so you'll see that my attempt to keep things short makes it more readable overall. If I'd used your style it would be twice as long.

Return to “General / Questions”