Watching replays

<<

Galahad

Laborer

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 11 May 2013, 18:53

Watching replays

Hello everyone,

Im new to this forum and to KaM Remake but I have started playing KaM in 199x as a little child and have returned to play the SP repeatedly over the years. Now I had another urge to play KaM again and discovered KaM Remake. I watched some shoutcasts from To and immediatley realized "Iv been doing it wrong BIG time" with how I used to build etc. Now for better practicing so I am not too big of a burden if I start to play multiplayer I wanted to do some more learning by watching replays. However, I was, so far, unable to find replays matching my version (r4179), the only ones I was able to find were r4297 and r5116.

Now the problem: I cannot watch those replays.

Question: Can I watch them with this version? If no, can I get the newer version? If no, is there a place to get replays for my version?

Or in general: Can someone provide me with a good replay of an interesting match that will provide a good basis for my practicing?
I know I can just start a game and test stuff but I always loved watching how others do it and critically analyze that and implement parts of it. So any help to make that possible is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.
You guys are awesome for keeping a game alive for this long and even improve it!! Incredible!
<<

Islar

Pikeman

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 11 May 2013, 19:02

Re: Watching replays

Hello everyone,

Im new to this forum and to KaM Remake but I have started playing KaM in 199x as a little child and have returned to play the SP repeatedly over the years. Now I had another urge to play KaM again and discovered KaM Remake. I watched some shoutcasts from To and immediatley realized "Iv been doing it wrong BIG time" with how I used to build etc. Now for better practicing so I am not too big of a burden if I start to play multiplayer I wanted to do some more learning by watching replays. However, I was, so far, unable to find replays matching my version (r4179), the only ones I was able to find were r4297 and r5116.

Now the problem: I cannot watch those replays.

Question: Can I watch them with this version? If no, can I get the newer version? If no, is there a place to get replays for my version?

Or in general: Can someone provide me with a good replay of an interesting match that will provide a good basis for my practicing?
I know I can just start a game and test stuff but I always loved watching how others do it and critically analyze that and implement parts of it. So any help to make that possible is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.
You guys are awesome for keeping a game alive for this long and even improve it!! Incredible!
Hi

In the board index you will find ''Game replays'' and ''Strategy Central''. You can download replays and watch them in remake. Or you can read strategies from others.

I hope you will like kam remake
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 11 May 2013, 19:04

Watching anything other than your version of the game is a tricky thing, because the game has changed a lot since r4179; which is also the public release. If you play in in the public release like To does in r4297, then you'll be making terrible mistakes.
Still, watching all of To's videos on youtube is a great way to learn. Everything you see in those videos is probably a good strategy except for these:
1) Don't use the marketplace (except for maybe one or two horses if you want a couple of knights). It is very bad in the public release.
2) Don't use any units that need a shield (again, unless you want a couple knights). They are no better than lance-carriers and pikemen, but cost more.
3) Best unit combo in Public release is Pikemen/lance-carriers + crossbowmen (and militia if you want to spam).
4) In some of To's older shoutcasts, you may see people playing without making any food. Don't try it: it doesn't work like that anymore.

Enjoy the shoutcasts.
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 11 May 2013, 21:27

Welcome to the community :)

The newer versions are betas which we've used for testing. You can subscribe to our beta list if you like, just email contact@kamremake.com and we'll add you. You can keep both versions installed separately if you like so you can just use the beta version for replays if you want to play the more stable public version.
2) Don't use any units that need a shield (again, unless you want a couple knights). They are no better than lance-carriers and pikemen, but cost more.
They are better than lance carriers/pikemen, but not by much. Attack values are:
Axemen: 35
Lance carriers: 25
Swordfighters: 55
Pikemen: 35
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 11 May 2013, 21:45

But unfortunately they die just as quickly. :P
<<

Galahad

Laborer

Post 12 May 2013, 16:00

Heh I always used a ton of Axemen and bowman. I loved the leather units, my main issue was that I generally wasnt able to produce troops until 90 minutes into the game :-/ I think I have a lot of catching up to do ^^

Thanks for your advices everyone.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 13 May 2013, 02:10

Welcome to the community :)

The newer versions are betas which we've used for testing. You can subscribe to our beta list if you like, just email contact@kamremake.com and we'll add you. You can keep both versions installed separately if you like so you can just use the beta version for replays if you want to play the more stable public version.
They are better than lance carriers/pikemen, but not by much. Attack values are:
Axemen: 35
Lance carriers: 25
Swordfighters: 55
Pikemen: 35
How are they better, when units die by crossbow fire before they reach the enemy anyway? That's the point I was trying to get across: The only purpose of melee in the public release is to serve as a meat shield. The crossbowmen are doing all the killing.
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

krisdw

Pikeman

Post 13 May 2013, 07:50

Heh I always used a ton of Axemen and bowman. I loved the leather units, my main issue was that I generally wasnt able to produce troops until 90 minutes into the game :-/ I think I have a lot of catching up to do ^^

Thanks for your advices everyone.
I used to have the same problem. Now, I can easily make armies of about 60 soldiers by the end of a 65 minute peace time. You'll be surprised at how fast you pick up the online play of this game :) hope to see you in game some time soon :)

A "problem" I've seen in this game is that new players don't get the army they need by the end of peacetime and just get overrun by more experienced players. On top of that, the new player's teammates will get annoyed at him and often (unfortunately :() flame the guy, which scares him from playing more KAM in the future. Often I've played with a guy who says it's his first online game. Many of these guys I've never seen again. :(

1. Experienced players must be more forgiving toward new players
2. New players need to hang on more often and keep on trying

:) So just keep on trying!
<<

Galahad

Laborer

Post 13 May 2013, 09:48

This sounds very familiar to me ^^ What I found works best is to play in a team with ppl you know. Unfortunatley, Im the only person I know that plays KaM ^^ But well, perhaps we can play a game sometime but first I want to get better before I jump into the icy waters of multiplayer.
<<

sado1

Council Member

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 13 May 2013, 10:28

You know, the issue with new players is a delicate one. Pity that there's completely no way to say if a player is a total newbie, or a pro. If you can't balance the teams before playing, then the game will be very short and one-sided - there's no fun in this. Even if you ask someone about his skills:

-if he didn't play more than 5 games, he'll say that he's a total newbie - fair enough, let's treat him like he doesn't exist.
-if he says he's good, it means he's very bad. Let's treat him like he was 1/4th of a player.
-if he says that he still has much to learn, then he at least saw a good player raping him. He probably is a bit more experienced. A half of a player.
-if he says he's quite good, he might really mean it. No idea how to tell whether he really knows what he's saying, if I didn't play against him yet. 3/4ths of a player.
-then goes a category for Teamspeak quality players.

Now, if we knew which player goes to which category, we could balance the teams. Good luck doing that. If the teams won't get the same amount of skill in each, the game won't last more than 5 minutes after pt. Not to mention... someone might have a bad day, not know the map/loc etc... Even on Teamspeak, where we all know each other, 2 hour games are rare, because we're very rarely able to balance the teams out. Of course, the public games might be that long because many people like unnecessary camping, but Teamspeak players don't usually camp until they have to.
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 13 May 2013, 11:09

If you mean that experienced players should go easy on new player i do disagree, if you can crush a player just do it. But what you can do is help the new player by offering tips to improve and if he accepts give constructive critisism(beware there is a fine line between giving critisism and burning someone down).

i totally agree on point 2 though.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

Galahad

Laborer

Post 13 May 2013, 11:37

Just for clarification, I didnt make those 2 points. Dont know why it shows as such in your quote.

@ sado: If you cant get the skill levels right in games where you do know each other well I dont see a problem playing with players you dont know. I dont really get your point here?

@ dicsoup: The way I understood it was that they should be "forgiving" in a way as to not dismiss that player and never play with him again but instead give advice so they can become better and enlarge the community. Thats my personal opinion anyways. I always try to help out new players in every game Im good at. And I do play with bad players even if I know my chance to win is dropping drastically because of it. But thats just me and I wont force anyone to do the same ^^
<<

Bence791

Knight

Post 13 May 2013, 11:44

Sado is completely right. The problem with playing against/together (I mean them like enemies/allies) with newbies is that if they are on your team, there are so many maps on which your bases are right next to your allies', so if you have one on your team, and they are attacked, they ain't gonna repel the attack alone, and for example if you are attacking, you can't move any troops to help them, and they lose the battle, your (your and your teammates') bases will be very vulnerable since you don't usually build towers next to the passages between your and your allies' villages. And of course the game is lost. Or the other possibility, when they are against you, the enemy won't be able to defend for example 3v4, because you can outspam them fast (there are "noobs" who don't even start producing weapons after 1 hour, the usual amount of peace time). Or they just leave when the game is started.
I think everyone can understand it, and we see that so many people stop it because their teammates blame them for losing. But c'mon, we can enjoy our games, can we? Ruining it just because trying to teach newbies who are unlikely to be seen any time again isn't a good idea imo. I don't want to seem like being selfish, but really. There are many other players (or even Singleplayer), who they can play in such a way like that together with. I mean they aren't alone being newbies, we had to start it from that skill-level. I remember my first "appereance" in games with for example Mulberry, Revo, Bo, Matt etc. I was such a noob (and I am one still), but since that I improved very much (like learnt how to do leather+iron). Practice does the master :)

@sado: Which category do people from TS who consider themselves noobs belong to? :P
The Kamper is always taking my colour!

<<

krisdw

Pikeman

Post 13 May 2013, 11:45

If you mean that experienced players should go easy on new player i do disagree, if you can crush a player just do it. But what you can do is help the new player by offering tips to improve and if he accepts give constructive critisism(beware there is a fine line between giving critisism and burning someone down).

i totally agree on point 2 though.
I meant that experienced players shouldn't get so angry at new players :) In the end it's just a game and we all had to learn it, but I've seen people really get angry at their teammates all too often for being "total noobs". Edit: I just saw that Galahad already posted the same thing :)
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 13 May 2013, 13:35

Well that depends on the player, personally I just assume that unknown players on my team are ver bad and will have 0 troops after pt. If they have more or turn out to be good, then that's nice. And otherwise it isn't a problem either because I 'expected' it.

Return to “General / Questions”