Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Coop-Maps

<<

Ravior

Recruit

Post 03 Apr 2013, 23:36

Coop-Maps

Hello,

I'm asking this here because I cant find a solution or answer to my problem / question:

I want to design an easy coop map for a bunch of friends and me to play on for training purposes. I figured that the ingame editor won't let me create coop-maps because when I save a map as a multiplayer map, it won't show up in the map-list when creating a server and having "coop" selected as gamemode.

Which tools exactly do I need for creation of coop maps? Are there tutorials for this?

Thank you :)
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 03 Apr 2013, 23:42

Re: Coop-Maps

It doesn't actually matter if your map appears under "building" maps, because the only difference between building and coop maps is how the lobby organizes them. Just make a regular building map and select that (you can still have AI when you play building maps).
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 04 Apr 2013, 01:38

Go to your KaM Remake folder then MapsMP. You need to make a .txt file in the folder where your map is saved with the same name as the folder. Then put a line:
SetCoop

which will define it as a coop map. Optionally you can also put:
BigDesc
This is a description of your map which will appear in the lobby.

Look at some of the existing maps for an example, for example open up MapsMP\TSK 07\TSK 07.txt. You need a file like that for your map.

But as Ben said it doesn't really matter since in the current release coop maps are treated the same as any other building map.
<<

Ravior

Recruit

Post 04 Apr 2013, 08:21

Okay cool... but how is the following working:

In the existing coop maps, the ai has a town and some production lines, also building troops and send them to the player.
Do they do that automatically if they have enough production buildings and stuff or how can I do that?

Am I able to change the difficulty level of the enemy doing this? Scripting like "All 20 minutes send the following troops '20 archers', '20 swordsmen' to coordinate x/y" or how?

Also I would like to edit a map with the kamp tpr editor, (this one which is in version 0.6d or so) and save it. But The maps i create and save with this dont show up in the maps list in the remake's editor load map screen. Are they incompatible?

Thanks so far :)
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 04 Apr 2013, 08:58

You need to tell the AI how you want them to behave, where to put soldiers, when to attack, etc. You can do that with my editor, in the next release you will be able to do that with the Remake editor.

Maps made with Krom's map editor are compatible with the Remake but they must be saved in the correct place (MapsMP\Your Map\Your Map.map) and they require a .dat script made with my mission editor.

Basically:
.map file = terrain (Krom's editor)
.dat file = buildings, houses, units, AI, etc. (Lewin's editor)
<<

Ravior

Recruit

Post 04 Apr 2013, 09:54

Okay, great!

I think I now know everything I need to get started with this :)

Thank you!
<<

Ravior

Recruit

Post 04 Apr 2013, 12:33

Okay... further questions :D

Question 1: I build a little map now (entirely with the KaM Editor). I'm nearly finished with the terrain and also set up some houses for the ai (which wont work right now I guess because I didn't do anything with the Mission Editor by now). Just to try it out I tried loading the map in the remake's ingame editor. There it would load, but with no houses on it. What did I miss?

Question 2:
When I load my map in the Mission Editor by first klicking on the load button, selecting the correct *.dat file and then loading the *.map by pressing on the button with the directory icon with an arrow on it, the map wich is then displayed is not the correct one but rather a savegame file from the first mission of the shatered kindom campaign.

What did I do wrong there?

Edit:

Just realised when saving the map, closing kam editor and opening the kam editor again, loading my map, all the buildings are gone, too.

Question here: WTF?

Greetings,

Ravior
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 04 Apr 2013, 12:55

Question 1: Don't use Krom's editor for houses. Only use it for terrain. Remember the .map file only contains terrain, no houses. It is possible to add houses an export them from Krom's editor then import them into my editor, but it's easier just to do all the houses in my editor or the KaM Remake editor.

Question 2: My editor is not designed to work properly with the Remake. You have to tell it which map to load. In the middle of the screen of my editor there is a button "Browse". Click that and find the .map file you made. That will load the correct terrain as a background.

All of this will be much easier next release when the KaM Remake editor is fully featured. We can stop relying on old KaM tools which are not designed to work with all the new features of the Remake.
Cheers,
Lewin.
<<

Ravior

Recruit

Post 04 Apr 2013, 13:07

Okay cool.

Then... don't let yourself be slowed down by answering my questions ;) :) Just this one more:

Is there are a release date of the next update prospected already?

Greetings,

Ravior
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 04 Apr 2013, 13:32

It's ready when it's ready, not a moment sooner )

We hope to release the ReleaseCandidate version in next few weeks.
This is private testing performed by players who signed up for it (signup is free and we accept anyone, just send a request to contact@kamremake.com that you would like to participate)
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

Ravior

Recruit

Post 04 Apr 2013, 15:24

Ok, cool :) Just signed up :)

But now Ive one weird thing with the mission editor. When I try to load my map (with buildings being placed by the remake editor), its like this:
I click on Load.
Select my Map.dat and click on Open.
Now theres a joke being displayed with the info "Loading... please wait..." and stuff but it never finishes.

When I try this:
Klicking on "File" > "Load".
Selecting Map.dat and click on open, there appears a dialog box with the title "Knights and Merchants..." and a big red error icon, no text and two buttons ("OK" and "Abort").

No matter if I click on OK OR Abort, the editor closes.

Did I set it up incorrectly or something like that?

I dont know... if this would require you putting too much thought into it, I'll just wait for the upcoming releases. Otherwise I'd be glad to get helped... Mabye someone else knows about this stuff, too?

Return to “General / Questions”