Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

weird recording in kam?

<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 17 Mar 2013, 23:05

weird recording in kam?

ok so something weird happened to me. i have a new screen this weekend and i wanted to record some kamscenes for a tutorial, but for some reason everything i recorded turned out green (except for the main menu).
when i uploaded it to youtube to ask how this is possible the colors turned out to be normal, but the audio is missing now.

I am really confused right now and i hope anyone can give me any insight into this. i tried recording in another codec but the audio goes out of sync and the files are huge (nearly 8Gb for 2,5 minutes recording). I will tinker a bit mroe with my recording program but i find it weird that a new screen messes up my records.

here is the youtube video wich probably is not helpfull at all since the colors do work there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-Ven41Lho8
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 18 Mar 2013, 10:53

Re: weird recording in kam?

I have no idea, I can't take proper screenshots from Remake, let alone capture movies. ;)
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 18 Mar 2013, 11:17

Have you tried the screenshot fix?:
http://www.knightsandmerchants.net/support/downloads/
That fixes weird colors in screenshots, maybe screen recording too.
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

Post 18 Mar 2013, 11:25

Well the weird thing is that with my old dscreen it recorded just fine, and i have totally no problems with making screenshots. But with this new screen the recording gor buggy on the usual codec i record with (MPEG-1), the other codec (motion JPEG, whatever that might be) lags a bit , get's audio out of sync and creates huge files. this morning i switched back to PEG-1 and unchecked a box called VBR (no clue what it does) and now it seems to record fine again with a few minor glitches at the first couple of seconds. I just find it weird that a new screen makes such a difference, i thought it would not make any difference at all.

anyway does this screenshot fix work in the remake? Isn't this a fix for the original Kam?
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 18 Mar 2013, 11:44

Oh you mean the Remake, sorry I didn't realise. Yes the screenshot fix is only for original KaM. Your screen should make no difference unless it forces the graphics card into a different mode (e.g. different color depth, different refresh rate, etc.). You could also try a different recording program to see if that works.
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

Post 18 Mar 2013, 12:08

It is ok, i did not make it quite clear that it was for the remake. But what you said made some sense to me since this screen has more color depth then the previous one (not to mention it supports higher resolutions), so i think that is the cause of the recording glitches. thanks for the quick responses. :D
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

Post 18 Mar 2013, 12:11

From description (I can't see vids from at work) that is an issue with codec. See if you can get another one running (e.g. from K-Lite codec pack)
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 18 Mar 2013, 15:48

Well I dont wanted to open this topic also, but tahn Disco did it :D
Sorry that I´m not adapting to your "question" disco really...

however I wanna just ask, because I´m also livestreaming and the strange thing is, with TPR i can livestream in fullmode without problems, because of the render. With the Remake it doesn´t work, so the Remake uses an other render than OpenGl or directx? Because normaly the record program only support these ones, so why TPR worked and the Remake not :D

Btw Disco are you still recording with this free program or with FPS for example?
<<

FeyBart

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 18 Mar 2013, 16:11

Kind of off topic, but as far as recording software is concerned, I'd advice you use the recording program called Fraps, and then compress the video you get using the editing program VirtualDub. In my experience, Fraps has quite high quality (and no watermark), although it may not work on every computer. With programs like these I usually run an illegal version first to see if it works, and when it does, I buy the whole thing.
Nice coffee is always nice.
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

Post 19 Mar 2013, 11:30

Well i did what Krom said, i am using another codec that does work (instead of MPEG-1 vbr i use MPEG-1 cbr, whatever the difference may be), so thanks for the help.

@ Pawel, i am not really technical in this but i think you render with either opengl, direct x or directdraw. I have no idea how the engine of the remake works, but how does livestreaming work? do you just record using a certain program and that get's live immediatly or..?

@ Feybart, bandicam is just fine. It is not as CPU using as fraps, provides good quality (1080P HD) and i do not mind the watermark. And to remove the watermark i do not mind paying 25 dollars for the full program.
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 19 Mar 2013, 11:38

Well idd FPS is eating really big amount of recources. However I hadn´t ever have problems recording with FPS that "old" game like the KaM Remake. I am only asking,because I have heard from some other friends, that in other games, they had also problem with bandicam(I think they are recording at least with Full HD).

Well and about my livestream. The problem is, that the program,which records the game, is like Steam. So you can activate the game in it, and you switch IN GAME to the chat or livestream boxes, this works with TPR perfectly(and all other games with >Directx8 and OpenGl) :D So thats why I have asked with which graphic render the Remake works.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 20 Mar 2013, 00:04

KaM used DirectX for rendering, the Remake uses OpenGL. The Remake should work fine with most recording applications since OpenGL is quite widely used and should be supported.

A lot of people have recorded or livestreamed from the Remake so I'm not sure why it wouldn't be working for you.
<<

FeyBart

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 20 Mar 2013, 08:16

(...)
@ Feybart, bandicam is just fine. It is not as CPU using as fraps, provides good quality (1080P HD) and i do not mind the watermark. And to remove the watermark i do not mind paying 25 dollars for the full program.
I guess I didn't consider Bandicam was cheaper. You have a point.
Nice coffee is always nice.
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 20 Mar 2013, 12:07

KaM used DirectX for rendering, the Remake uses OpenGL. The Remake should work fine with most recording applications since OpenGL is quite widely used and should be supported.

A lot of people have recorded or livestreamed from the Remake so I'm not sure why it wouldn't be working for you.
Thats not the point Lewin. Like you can see here, I have no problems with livestreaming:

http://de.twitch.tv/pawel95masterofhorses/c/1977058

Only problem is the fullscreen. The program called Xsplit, is working like steam. So you can easily record or chat ot whatever in game. However this doesn´t work with the Remake. Just a black window. Other OpenGl games work just fine.
So I´m not sure about it, but is it possible that this "starting box" where your/kroms and alex´ name and mail is on, that this is "unvisible in the background" so the program doesn´t record the game itselves but only the black window?!
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

Post 20 Mar 2013, 12:40

Return to “General / Questions”