Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Missing Object from Remake Editor

<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 12 Feb 2013, 23:10

Missing Object from Remake Editor

I'm not sure if this has been addressed yet, but this object is missing from the Remake's built-in editor:

Was this an overlook? or was this just planned to be added later?
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 13 Feb 2013, 02:03

Re: Missing Object from Remake Editor

I didn't know that, thanks for pointing it out :)
I've fixed it, the problem was that the first object (ID=0) was not loaded into the list, although it would be rendered in-game if you added it with another editor.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 13 Feb 2013, 15:56

Thanks, Lewin. Currently, I try to use the Remake Editor as much as possible because of all its handy tools. Having to go back and forth between Krom's original editor and the Remake's just for these stones was irritating :P
<<

FeyBart

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 15 Feb 2013, 14:37

Thanks, Lewin. Currently, I try to use the Remake Editor as much as possible because of all its handy tools. Having to go back and forth between Krom's original editor and the Remake's just for these stones was irritating :P
I've never used the external editor, but would you consider the Remake's editor better than Kroms yet?
Nice coffee is always nice.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 15 Feb 2013, 15:35

I've never used the external editor, but would you consider the Remake's editor better than Kroms yet?
An educated guess: I believe that Krom has put a lot of work into the Remake's editor; therefore, it would be inaccurate to discredit him by saying, "better than Krom's."
I just don't want to offend him or anything. Anyway, I definitely consider the Remake's editor better. It looks much more professional, has many new features, and loads the Remake's graphics instead of KaM's (which look much better thanks to the new color palette)
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 15 Feb 2013, 15:45

I disagree, the Remake's editor is incomplete and way harder to use. It may have the better looks but I prefer Krom's editor.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 15 Feb 2013, 15:58

The Remake's editor has many more features which make it easier in my opinion. The extra elevation tools and ability to show the amount of resources on the map, where one can build, walk etc., is wonderful. I forgot to mention that it doesn't have the ability to mix terrain, so it has to be done individually, and the "magic water" feature is missing. Other than those two things, there really isn't anything missing (for making maps).
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 15 Feb 2013, 18:34

The Remake editor's UI is very confusing, I for one had to find out what certain buttons did by trial and error. Also, not sure, but is it possible to 'undo' as in Krom's map editor? That's really an essential feature, and as long as it's missing it's completely impractical for me to use it.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 15 Feb 2013, 19:22

Shoot! I forgot about the undo button! :O It's been a while since I've made maps.

I still elevate in the Remake, because I like to know if I've elevated beyond the building-zone.
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 15 Feb 2013, 19:42

Yeah, undo is much needed! :)
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 16 Feb 2013, 06:41

The Remake editor's UI is very confusing, I for one had to find out what certain buttons did by trial and error. Also, not sure, but is it possible to 'undo' as in Krom's map editor? That's really an essential feature, and as long as it's missing it's completely impractical for me to use it.
We're working on improving the UI, adding hints and using better icons on the buttons, hopefully it will be a bit less confusing in the next release. It's far more complicated to design a UI that does the terrain and the mission together seamlessly. Feel free to give us feedback for improvement when we send out the next beta.

Undo and copy/paste might not be implemented for this next release, but they are planned. But the next release WILL have terrain brushes, map revealers (CLEAR_UP), center screen, layer visibility toggling, and even some limited AI stuff (attack/defence/other). Another handy feature is that the terrain brush data will be regenerated if it is missing, so if you edit a map that wasn't made with the latest version of Krom's editor (or one of the original maps) the terrain brushes will mostly work properly :)
<<

sado1

Council Member

Post 16 Feb 2013, 10:47

Undo and copy/paste might not be implemented for this next release, but they are planned. But the next release WILL have terrain brushes, map revealers (CLEAR_UP), center screen, layer visibility toggling, and even some limited AI stuff (attack/defence/other). Another handy feature is that the terrain brush data will be regenerated if it is missing, so if you edit a map that wasn't made with the latest version of Krom's editor (or one of the original maps) the terrain brushes will mostly work properly :)
Great news, Remake editor should be more or less enough to make a map from scratch, then. What will be still missing? Magic water? And by the way... what is/will be the situation with using both editors to create a map? Thunder and To said Krom's editor can't be used to edit a Remake-made map, but I thought I saw in the changelogs something about fixing the comatibility between two editors.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 16 Feb 2013, 15:38

Great news, Remake editor should be more or less enough to make a map from scratch, then. What will be still missing? Magic water? And by the way... what is/will be the situation with using both editors to create a map? Thunder and To said Krom's editor can't be used to edit a Remake-made map, but I thought I saw in the changelogs something about fixing the comatibility between two editors.
You are correct: The latest public-release no longer "damages" the maps so that they can't be edited by Krom's map editor.
<<

FeyBart

Knight

Post 16 Feb 2013, 16:41

(...)
We're working on improving the UI, adding hints and using better icons on the buttons, hopefully it will be a bit less confusing in the next release. It's far more complicated to design a UI that does the terrain and the mission together seamlessly. Feel free to give us feedback for improvement when we send out the next beta.
(...)
Yeah, I've seen you guys editing MapEd a lot indeed. Does it add more new features?
Nice coffee is always nice.
<<

Oleg

Lance Carrier

Post 16 Feb 2013, 23:28

I use Krom's editor for the terrain and Remake's editor for the objects, makes quite a good combo!

Return to “Bugs”