Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Where are the terrain textures?

<<

dentol

Peasant

Post 13 Jan 2013, 12:04

Where are the terrain textures?

Hello!

Im currently working on a game, that uses the Kam Graphics. I already coded a loader to read the rx files. Next I would I like to load the tile textures into my game. But where are these? The decoding section says that these textures are stored in the textX.dat files. I tried to decode, but the description seems to be wrong. I noticed that krom does not load these files in his remake. So where are these textures??

Thank you.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 13 Jan 2013, 13:17

Re: Where are the terrain textures?

I'm interested in your game :) I hope you'll post about it here when you have more details. What kind of game will it be? What language are you writing it in?

Please remember that the KaM textures are all copyright and technically you would need permission from the owners of KaM to use them in your game. However if you are not planning to make money out of your game and you mention the source of the images I doubt the owners of KaM will mind (but obviously I cannot speak on their behalf).

I believe the terrain textures are in the textX.dat files, but I'm not sure if the format description has been written publicly anywhere. The Barbarian knew how to decode them because he wrote the KaM Graphics Reader (see the Tools section of the site) which could export the terrain textures, I think that's where Krom got them from for the Remake (we have them stored as .png files in our source folder and we compile them into our own .rxx format for release).

The easiest way to get them is probably to export them using the KaM Graphics Reader. I'm afraid I can't help you with decoding them from the original game files.
Cheers,
Lewin.
<<

dentol

Peasant

Post 13 Jan 2013, 13:51

Re: Where are the terrain textures?

Ah ok, thank you. I don't know yet what it will be :lol: I imagined a Tower Defense Style Game. I try to make a solid engine in C# Xna first. But I am considering to switch to another langauge like C++ sfml or something. We'll see. If you have any other ideas for my game, you're welcome :D

Return to “General Talk”