Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

New to KaM Questions

<<

Martin Brody

Laborer

Post 19 Dec 2012, 22:38

New to KaM Questions

Hello,

I tried searching for my answers, but couldn’t find anything so please humor me if this has been asked a lot. I played KaM a little, back when it first came out, and for some reason I got the urge to play it again. After playing a skirmish game against the CPU for a few hours (I like building big cities) I start running into the following issues:

1.) My workers seem to want to build roads no mater where there are going to, or even if a building has all the material ready to be constructed? Roads always seem to take priority

2.) My serfs never seem to prioritize bringing the right stuff to where it needs to go. I will need food at an inn and have 100s of pieces of it in the storehouse, but they won’t bring it out. Or they will bring stuff into the storehouse when there are open spots for it where it needs to go (i.e. pigs not going to a butcher, or wheat not going to a baker). Also they never seem to want to pick up food from the baker or butcher so they will sit idle for like 5 min. I thought I didn’t have enough serfs, so I will build more and some keep dying from starvation because they can get to an inn. My city has 2-3 wide roads going to almost every building!

3.) Does the enemy ever attack, because they haven’t sent anyone up at me yet?

Thanks,
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 19 Dec 2012, 22:57

Re: New to KaM Questions

Hi,
You should try the KaM Remake. We haven't finished the AI yet so singleplayer isn't perfect, but multiplayer is working very well.

1) That's how KaM has always worked. When you want houses to be built you stop building roads for a while so your workers can catch up.

2) The problem is the serfs choose a job as soon as they finish the last one (e.g. butcher is full, so take pig to storehouse) but while they are walking to get the pig the butcher uses a pig, so there's now space to take the pig to the butcher. But the serf will still take it to the storehouse because that's the job he decided to do back when he finished his last job. Another problem is that a serf from a long way away can claim a job (e.g. refill the inn) and until that serf arrives it will look like the other serfs are ignoring that job. We've tried to minimise these things in the KaM Remake and make the delivery system smarter.

3) The AI in KaM TPR is not great, I can't remember whether they attack you in the "skirmish" missions or not.
<<

Martin Brody

Laborer

Post 20 Dec 2012, 04:51

Hey,

Thanks for the info. I took your advice and downloaded the remake, but when I go to install it, it says that KaM is not installed on my computer? Any ideas on how to fix that without having to go buy it from GoG like the website says to do?

Thanks for any help you can offer,
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 20 Dec 2012, 10:36

Which version do you have now? TSK/TPR? CD or download? etc.
<<

Martin Brody

Laborer

Post 27 Dec 2012, 20:23

Thanks for your help, but I just ended up buying it from GoG and the remake worked fine. Great job on the serfs being more efficient.

Return to “General Talk”