Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

KaM taking 100% CPU memory

<<

Itlerion

Militia

Post 28 Nov 2012, 23:53

KaM taking 100% CPU memory

Hi, i have being playing kam a copuple of times this last days, and in some matches where everything starts okay, then it start going slow and slow... and then, i press ctrl+alt+supr and i see that the game is taking 100% of cpu!! wich makes the game go slow slow, like i n slow motion.. i took a pic:

I have 2giga of RAM, win 7 ultimate .. any idea of how can i fix this?
<<

Bo_

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 29 Nov 2012, 07:26

Re: KaM taking 100% CPU memory

You need alienware to run kam my friend. ;)
Kick fast, think Bo.
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 29 Nov 2012, 22:20

Could you post your PC's specifications?
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

Post 30 Nov 2012, 04:59

Does it depend on type of game (single\multi) and map ?
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 30 Nov 2012, 20:30

Does it depend on type of game (single\multi) and map ?
Krom, i think both Map types its the same. Maybe in huge maps like TSK 20+ it is higher, because of that much army, that will come and attack me :P

Normaly games are built differently.
Some games like Crysis need a High end graphic card and so other games Like GTA IV needs a really good (dual core) CPU.
However i have seen this feature in Kam,too(like Itlerion has posted) and I dont understand why.
Well I have a really good computer with 4 cores (and for KaM it should work with the 1/4 of my pc :P ) So maybe Krom, it is because of some structers in programming, because I cannnot understand why Remake should use that much CPU usage when it isnt Computer specifications( Ram is quite ok)!?

EDIT: Oh and i was suprised. There is a great singleplayer map(VORTAMIC) which isnt playable at my old computer, because there is so huge attack and the game freezes for like 2 min :-( and there the cpu usage is also 100%

But not this was the reason for surpise, but in my new computer the CPu usage of remake, when its in menu and when playing Vortamic is the same :o

However also 27% for a 4 core CPU is that pretty much :D
<<

Bence791

Knight

Post 30 Nov 2012, 21:13

Oh and i was suprised. There is a great singleplayer map(VORTAMIC) which isnt playable at my old computer, because there is so huge attack and the game freezes for like 2 min :-( and there the cpu usage is also 100%

But not this was the reason for surpise, but in my new computer the CPu usage of remake, when its in menu and when playing Vortamic is the same :o
You know Pawel, Vortamic has a really nice initial attack with more, than 500 soldiers moving AT ONCE. That's why it lags horribly. It did for me, too. But managed to repel them, and won. :D
The Kamper is always taking my colour!

<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

Post 30 Nov 2012, 21:42

Oh and i was suprised. There is a great singleplayer map(VORTAMIC) which isnt playable at my old computer, because there is so huge attack and the game freezes for like 2 min :-( and there the cpu usage is also 100%

You know Pawel, Vortamic has a really nice initial attack with more, than 500 soldiers moving AT ONCE. That's why it lags horribly. It did for me, too. But managed to repel them, and won. :D
HOW DID YOU REPEL THEM?
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 01 Dec 2012, 10:46

How did you won? :D Yeah, at my computer i havent any lags there but still 27% cpu usage.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 02 Dec 2012, 02:25

It's perfectly normal for the game to use a lot of CPU, even when just sitting on the menu. That's because any leftover CPU time is used to render more frames. You'll notice this in a lot of games, the CPU usage is very high because it never actually stops using the CPU, if there's spare time it just renders faster.

However if it's using 100% that means you must only have 1 core, because the Remake is basically single threaded. For example on my computer with 8 cores it uses about 12.5% (100/8).

So the CPU usage is normal, it would be 100% regardless of whether it is lagging.

Here are some things that can cause lag:
- Zooming out so there is too much to be rendered
- Playing on a high resolution when your GPU or CPU are not very powerful
- Playing in a game with lots and lots of units/buildings
- The moment the AI attacks you the game can freeze for a bit calculating paths for the units to walk
- If you are on a laptop (maybe desktops too?) and it starts to overheat Windows may automatically limit your CPU frequency which will really slow things down (you can get a program like Core Temp to monitor your CPU temperature)
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 02 Dec 2012, 12:28

Well but isnt it possible to balance it litte bit more to the GPU, so the GPU will calculate for example more rendering things, like in new games it is(that gpu and cpu works together well and the game frames are higher than) because I think also, it isnt that healthy for the core to play with 100% (if you have 1 core) like 2 or 3 hours without a break (?)
<<

Bence791

Knight

Post 02 Dec 2012, 14:26

HOW DID YOU REPEL THEM?
How did you won? :D
Quite a good question... the initial attack was like 30 mins, gameplay was like 5... So it really lagged horribly... I kept some knights and 5 other melee (mix of warriors and swordsmen) troops plus all my ranged (and it was in the Remake (!)). :P But there aren't any more attacks, so if you win the initial one, and then just don't starve to death, you can win easily. C'mon, practise ;)
The Kamper is always taking my colour!

<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 02 Dec 2012, 14:29

HOW DID YOU REPEL THEM?
How did you won? :D
Quite a good question... the initial attack was like 30 mins, gameplay was like 5... So it really lagged horribly... I kept some knights and 5 other melee (mix of warriors and swordsmen) troops plus all my ranged (and it was in the Remake (!)). :P But there aren't any more attacks, so if you win the initial one, and then just don't starve to death, you can win easily. C'mon, practise ;)
Lol show me pls Replay :D I had also won, but only one time. Now i try and try but cant win it.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 02 Dec 2012, 14:32

Well but isnt it possible to balance it litte bit more to the GPU, so the GPU will calculate for example more rendering things, like in new games it is(that gpu and cpu works together well and the game frames are higher than) because I think also, it isnt that healthy for the core to play with 100% (if you have 1 core) like 2 or 3 hours without a break (?)
The GPU is doing most of the rendering work. Krom knows more about this than me, but I think a lot of the CPU time is spent waiting for the GPU to finish rendering (which still shows up as CPU usage). Also the CPU has to feed instructions to the GPU for each frame so it's necessary for them to work together. If you render at a high frame rate both your CPU and GPU will probably be going flat out. But as far as I know there's no harm in this at all, unless your computer overheats (which is a problem with your cooling not the software). Try running some other games in windowed mode and you will see 99% of them will use 100% of 1 or more cores (although a lot of games will reduce usage when you alt-tab out of them, so it's necessary to run them in window mode with something like the task manager open in the background). As far as I've seen most games use as much processing power as they can get. And as far as I know this doesn't reduce the life of your hardware unless you have overheating issues.

In CPUs with fixed clock rates I'm pretty sure the hardware doesn't see a difference between "idle" and "in-use". Either way the hardware is still firing at the same clock speed, it's just not doing anything productive. In modern CPUs they will reduce their frequency when not in use to save power, but I don't think it's bad for them to run at maximum frequency for a long time as long as they are cooled.
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 02 Dec 2012, 15:05

Well, this is clear that ALL informations from the computer must walk through the CPU,also all rendered textures,etc.
It is also clear, that normaly there isnt a problem in 100% cpu usage, you are right. Only when the Temperature of CPU or GPU is to high.

However I have learned in school,that the life of a CPU is shorter, when they work permanently at 100%.
(ITS like a car, which you ever pusehd 100% gas=> New car isnt a problem, but later and later you will see the difference :-) )
Its like the RAM in computer. Normaly if you have a new computer, you cant see that, but if you have an older computer and play every day Windows Chess for example :D and than playing 8 hours without break such big game and when you will play a game next day, the computer peeps and the Ram Module is destroyed :D (Because the life of this module was soo long and when it gets than a really big work, than it will be destroyed)

However I´ve learned that in 10th grade in school,so maybe the teacher werent that intelligent, i hadnt hear anything about similar things from that time,too. :D

Lewin, could you check your messages.

pawel95

Return to “Bugs”