Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

What is your Favourite Map for building???

What is your favourite map?

Dead of Winter
No votes
Dead of Winter
No votes
Golden Cliffs
No votes
Golden Cliffs
No votes
Valley of the Eqilibrium
No votes
Valley of the Eqilibrium
No votes
Across the desert
No votes
Across the desert
No votes
Back in the desert
No votes
Back in the desert
No votes
The Cracked Land
No votes
The Cracked Land
No votes
Alice
No votes
Alice
No votes
Other
No votes
Other
No votes
All for One
No votes
All for One
No votes
Back in the desert
No votes
Back in the desert
No votes
Paradise Island
No votes
Paradise Island
No votes
The Cracked Land
No votes
The Cracked Land
No votes
The Same Rocks
No votes
The Same Rocks
No votes
Alice
No votes
Alice
No votes
I dont like building =D
No votes
I dont like building =D
No votes
Other
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes : 0
<<

FeyBart

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 16 Feb 2013, 16:35

Re: What is your Favourite Map for building???

(...)
New scripting objectives are planned for the Remake; such as accumulating a certain amount of resources for example. These will be enough for city-building in KaM in my opinion.

For an example: You could make an objective where the player needs 300 serfs, 1000 bread, and 1000 gold. See?
Yeah, I think I've seen those mission scripts coming by on Google Code. Sounds quite good. But maybe you could also stimulate the city building feeling by having things like happiness: The happier your people are, the faster they will work for you (or they'll stand still every once in a while if they're unhappy). You could improve happiness by building statues, or something like that.
Nice coffee is always nice.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 16 Feb 2013, 16:37

The happier your people are, the faster they will work for you (or they'll stand still every once in a while if they're unhappy). You could improve happiness by building statues, or something like that.
That sounds interesting, but I don't believe that should be in the Remake. Like you said before: It should be a mod.
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

FeyBart

Knight

Post 16 Feb 2013, 18:54

(...)
That sounds interesting, but I don't believe that should be in the Remake. Like you said before: It should be a mod.
Uhuh. The problem is, though, that I don't know anything about Delphi. Maybe later, when we get to programming languages at school, I will try.

I follow courses of computer science. So far, I've only had lessons from our book, and HTML and CSS. I've made this site for an assignment myself. I know it's Dutch, so you couldn't read it, but the slogan you see under the text "informatica server", changes everytime you refresh. I did that with JavaScript.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 17 Feb 2013, 02:37

The happier your people are, the faster they will work for you (or they'll stand still every once in a while if they're unhappy). You could improve happiness by building statues, or something like that.
Scripted missions basically are mods. They keep the core engine of the game the same but allow you to customise various things. It would be possible to calculate a happiness score from various factors (such as number of inns, variety of food in inns, etc.) and change the behaviour of the game based on that score (e.g. reward the player). You currently can't do stuff like adding new buildings, changing how fast people work, etc. but maybe eventually. For now scripting lets you do minor customisations like Tower Defence (the core functionality of the game is unchanged, just the objectives, behaviour of the enemy, rewards after killing the enemy, etc. have been customised a bit).
<<

FeyBart

Knight

Post 17 Feb 2013, 11:48

(...)
Scripted missions basically are mods. They keep the core engine of the game the same but allow you to customise various things. It would be possible to calculate a happiness score from various factors (such as number of inns, variety of food in inns, etc.) and change the behaviour of the game based on that score (e.g. reward the player). You currently can't do stuff like adding new buildings, changing how fast people work, etc. but maybe eventually. For now scripting lets you do minor customisations like Tower Defence (the core functionality of the game is unchanged, just the objectives, behaviour of the enemy, rewards after killing the enemy, etc. have been customised a bit).
So in the future, we'd maybe not even have to build a mod to do all these things?

That's fucking awesome.
Last edited by FeyBart on 13 Sep 2021, 14:00, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fixed quote
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 17 Feb 2013, 12:50

So in the future, we'd maybe not even have to build a mod to do all these things?

That's fucking awesome.
In the next release the scripting system will make a fair bit of stuff possible through scripting, and in future releases we'll continue to extend the system. If people come up with an idea and describe what commands they need we can implement them. Here's the current list of commands that are implemented:
http://code.google.com/p/castlesand/wiki/MissionScripts
<<

FeyBart

Knight

Post 17 Feb 2013, 13:47

(...)
In the next release the scripting system will make a fair bit of stuff possible through scripting, and in future releases we'll continue to extend the system. If people come up with an idea and describe what commands they need we can implement them. Here's the current list of commands that are implemented:
I'll definitely check that out when it's released. Any information on dates yet? How much work do you estimate is done for the coming release so far (in percentage)?
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 17 Feb 2013, 19:42

(...)
I'll definitely check that out when it's released. Any information on dates yet? How much work do you estimate is done for the coming release so far (in percentage)?
No, we estimate at least 2 months but it's hard to say. It's not possible to come up with a percentage because we don't keep track of what we do that strictly, and we often work on something that wasn't planned but needed to be done.
<<

FeyBart

Knight

Post 17 Feb 2013, 19:47

(...)
No, we estimate at least 2 months but it's hard to say. It's not possible to come up with a percentage because we don't keep track of what we do that strictly, and we often work on something that wasn't planned but needed to be done.
Well, I guess that answers my question. Thanks.
<<

Categoricus

Warrior

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 19 Feb 2013, 05:28

Let's go back to the topic.

First of all I prefer asymmetric maps, which are often wrongly titled as unbalanced. Life simply takes place on diverse lands, but this doesn't mean that one cannot take advantages from the others' disadvantages or vice versa. At least one side of a war zone should be divided for territories fitting different kinds of role playing within a company.
Secondly it's quite unreal that you have an opportunity for a time of a middle-range battle to fetch tones of resources, or to set up a metropolis however, there's no reason for warfare in a heavy lack of materials or human supplies, so I'd vote for medium-sized locations where map size is not concerned.
Thirdly I prefer defense to offense, for I interpret war as an essential tool for setting up peace in hard times, and if peace is taken as the objective, than priority is to retain valuable resources for further use, then kill or destroy if unavoidable. This makes me look for well-defensible locations, and maps having the most well-defensible locations.
It's also important for party members to easily get rid of attacks affecting allies, in case he doesn't currently have the appropriate resources to set up an efficient defense, let alone that the least weakness of one can take the attention of the entire hostile party, making isolated defense completely barren.
Last but no least is the choice of branches, which mainly depends on the available materials, namely wood against iron. I claim best if the exploitable amount of iron is enough to keep up for a long time in conjunction with wooden units, but not enough for the enemy to let him omit training wooden units and shortly overtake your diverse units with his purely iron-based army. This seems like a scissors-paper-stone game if no one performs a worthwhile discovery, let alone cheating by running multiple instances of the game client, which should be prohibited by hard coding.

Taking all these five factors into account, my winner is The Same Rocks, although it's directly followed by the The Cracked Land.
Primus Christianus Hungaricus Categoricus
<<

FeyBart

Knight

Post 19 Feb 2013, 07:34

I would say asymmetrical maps are indeed a lot more beautiful than symmetrical maps. But they do have to be balanced correctly. One can have advantages over someone else, but as little as possible, otherwise it can get too hard to win.

Return to “General Chit Chat”