Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Mission Editor(new mission crash)

<<

Arisspartiatis

Woodcutter

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 04 Nov 2012, 14:44

Mission Editor(new mission crash)

hello i have been playing this game for years but now i try to make new missions with lewis mission editor!i start a new mission i put goals and lost goals but always when i try to start the mission it crashes?any help?thnk you!
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 04 Nov 2012, 16:06

Re: Mission Editor(new mission crash)

Obviously, Lewin is the most qualified to help you with that, but I've spent (Literally) days with the mission editor, I'll try my best.
When you say it "crashes" what kind of crash is it? Do you get an error message?
My best guess (at the moment) is that you gave your map the wrong name. I'm not sure what characters are allowed when giving your maps names, but just use letters to be safe. Also, there can't be any spaces. Therefore, "My First Map" should be: "myFirstMap" See?
That is with the MAP though. Not the mission. I am also under the assumption that you are using your own map.
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Arisspartiatis

Woodcutter

Post 04 Nov 2012, 16:43

cant i replace the original mission(dat)with mine putting the same name?yes i am using my own map!what i mean is that when i start the map the "game"crashes and i am back on windows desktop?do you understand!btw thnx!
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 05 Nov 2012, 17:00

What is your map's name?
<<

Arisspartiatis

Woodcutter

Post 05 Nov 2012, 17:51

its (minemap.dat or .map!
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 05 Nov 2012, 19:59

Alright, just to be clear I'll give some more guidelines:

When you store your mission and map in the KaM folders, they must follow certain rules (Make you you make backups of the original game files, because some need to be replaced).
The mission file (made with Lewin's mission editor) must be stored as one of the original mission files that came with KaM. Thus, the name must be the exact same. Therefore, if you wanted to replace TSK mission one, you need to name your mission file as mission1.dat and place it in the mission folder. The map doesn't need to be the same. The mission file just needs to know which map to load. The names for your map don't matter as long as it doesn't have funky characters or spaces (yours is good right now). As a beginner, I always stored my maps in the smaps folder, which is found inside the mission folder.
If you have placed all these files like this, there shouldn't be any crashes due to file placement.
Have you followed these rules?
<<

Arisspartiatis

Woodcutter

Post 06 Nov 2012, 16:17

yes thats why i am curious to see the problem!i create a map and i replace the mission1.dat with mine named also mission1.dat and the maps for example mission1.map with mine named mission1.map i just replace them with the same name as the original!i add goals everything so it shouldnt crash i dont kno why it does that!
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 06 Nov 2012, 18:46

Can you send me the files?
<<

Arisspartiatis

Woodcutter

Post 06 Nov 2012, 21:04

i will make one map the mission one replaced and send it to you tomorrow ok?
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 06 Nov 2012, 21:32

That's fine :)
<<

Arisspartiatis

Woodcutter

Post 07 Nov 2012, 12:29

<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 07 Nov 2012, 17:31

There are a few problems with your map. I recommend that you don't use the code view for making missions. It's much more complex if you don't know what you are doing, and Lewin didn't spend all those hours making the treeview for nothing :D
Anyway, these problems need to be fixed:

1) Your goals are messed up. You have set it so you need to destroy player three's buildings and troops. Player three doesn't exist. Also, you have the lost condition to losing all of player two's important buildings. Obviously, you meant to set that to player 1.

2) When you place human-owned buildings on the map, you must set map revelers next to them so you can see them. It's hard to explain, but basically, you need to have the area around your village "pre-explored" at the start of the game, otherwise the village won't appear. This is only true for human players.

I fixed these issues and your mission worked for me. Good luck!
<<

Arisspartiatis

Woodcutter

Post 07 Nov 2012, 19:17

well i fixed the goals and i fixed the view problem but the game keeps crashing did you notice any other problem?i use this program for 1-2 so the code view is easier to me but i have never made a completely mine map!
<<

Arisspartiatis

Woodcutter

Post 07 Nov 2012, 19:18

also the most important thnx for your time!i really appreciate that! :D
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 07 Nov 2012, 19:28

One other thing I changed was the line of code that specifies where the map is located. That actually might be the problem:
this is what I changed it to: (this is the very first line of code in the script)
  Code:
!SET_MAP "data\mission\smaps\save01.map"
Obviously, if you set it to that path, the map name has to be save01.map and must be in the smaps folder.

And no problem! I enjoy helping. I still remember the night Lewin was sending me emails on how to get the missions to work. What a great day that was.

Return to “Map Design”