Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

idea/suggestion : steam group

<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 30 Oct 2012, 13:59

idea/suggestion : steam group

The ones who are following the official ideas/suggestions topic will know that lately the dscussion headed a bit towards how to deal with people who are just trying to be plain annoying in the game. as you might have read already i made a suggestion to make a steam group for people to join and chat or ask for games. Now i do realise this forum has a minichat (i know about it since a week or so now) and that we also have a teamspeakserver but this is just an idea i came up with.

Krom asked me to explain what i proposed in a new topic and here i shall hopefully make everything clear.

What i am suggesting is making a group in the steam community that people can join so they can see who is online or looking for a game. the program called steam is a free program developed by valve and you can just download it from their site. http://store.steampowered.com/?l=english on this site is a grene button with the text saying install steam now. if you clicked on this link you should be downloading steam by now.

If you are a new user you must make a steam account before you can log in with the program ( making the account is also free). it can happen that when you login you get a popup like this: Image this means that, as stated in the popup, you got a code in your email to verify if it is really you that is logging in. you can simply copy the code from your email and paste it there.

If you managed to get this far you have succesfully logged in and you now have acces to steam, congratulations :D . now you are able to add friends, join community groups and even if you want to, expore the store. now what i am going to explain is the part about community groups.

it is easy to create a steamgroup, first you right click on your steam and then you select community
steam1.gif
after that you should be able to see various community and friends related stuff. if you are a new user you have no friends sadly so you probably won't see anything. but you still need to be here to press your profile button.
steam2.gif
now that you are on your profile you simply press the button groups to go to a list of groups you joined, and you can create your own group here.
steam3.gif
When you are on your groups list there is probably nothing showing for you except a few buttons, one of them is a create a group button. As you can see i made a test group myself.

When you clicked the create a group button you can enter a group name, a abbreviation (Your group abbreviation is a unique way for people to identify your group and is limited to 12 characters. In some games this will appear next to the name of group members.) and a custom url. you can also decide to make a group public so everyone can join at will or private, wich means you need an invite to join.

if you have done it correctly, and it can hardly go wrong, you should be getting this http://steamcommunity.com/groups/KaMremake

and that is how you create a steamgroup. for extra info there is always a faq made by valve. https://support.steampowered.com/kb_art ... -QLZX-8453

since this proposal is meant to be for nice players and not people who just try to be annoying i recommend making it a private group and invite people who want to join, because as stated in the faq, you cannot remove people in a public group. i am willing to leave my profile url here so you can add me as a friends so i can invite you to the group and offcrouse moderate it myself( + volunteers).

Why do i think this is good? because people have suggested an account system of sorts to prevent those people from joining games, but security is a big issue and thankfully the developers do take the risks of losing personal information into account when considering things like this. since steam is protected by valve, and you can install steam and make a group for free. this will cover the problem of security, since valve also respects personal information and shall do everything it can to prevent such loss /theft of information. This way the developers can focus on other areas where work is needed like they stated themselves.

yes they can make a new steam account and keep on annoying peopl, but making a new e-mailadress and account just to get kicked again is for most people just not enough effort. it is harder then just change your kam nickname.

what is also a nice addition is that you can make announcements in the group, if you make an announcement all members of the group will be notified when they are online with a small popup that appears in the bottom right. the popup shall be there for a few seconds so you can click on it to go to the announcement, or just leave it and let it dissappear. the popup shall make no sound however.

you can also plan events for a certain date (maybe good for tournaments) and those events will also be announced.

the group also has a chat, and i agree the forum has a chat and we have teamspeak, but this is just a benefit of having a steam group.

I have no idea if the discussion section will be use dmuch though, since we have a forum here.

This is just an idea, i do not say this is the best idea but if people are interested this is an option we could go for, but let's hear the opinions first. if there are any questions left iwill try to awnser them as fast as possible. My apologies for the wall of text but i tried to be as clear as possible, and thansk for reading.

*edit*
steam is available in more languages than only english, there is a big chance you can get it in your own language aswell in case you are wondering.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

Siegfried

Knight

Post 30 Oct 2012, 14:43

Re: idea/suggestion : steam group

I don't want to seem rude, but what's the point in a steam group for account management? It's basically the same as a facebook group, or any other group in any other social community.

We already have this forum here for these purposes. A steam-group would only make sense if it was connected to the game somehow, so that you could join the kam-lobby with your steam account. But this is not the case. And even if Krom&Lewin decided to implement such a system, it would probably be better to take the accounts from this forums as the admin here is in contact with the both so they could adjust it to their needs. There are even plugins for phhBB boards that are developed for exactly this.

Apart from the account management, every founded community is a win for the remake, so hopefully people will join. My remarks were just meant for the account-management issue.

If you really want to have a platform which sells games, it might be better to choose desura. There might be even a change that they will sell this game some time. Desura is similar to gog, but is focused on more recent games. They even included a profile for the remake there (click). Notice the blue 'install mod' button there. The best thing about desura, however, is their connection to moddb which probably everybody in the world of game mods knows.

Btw, whoever is responsible for the remake entry into moddb, please update it. The site is: http://www.moddb.com/games/knights-and- ... -rebellion
The responsible user is called feillyne, does anyone know him?

Return to “Ideas / Suggestions”