Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Sandbox/Build map?

<<

gvazdas

Laborer

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 17 Oct 2012, 15:10

Sandbox/Build map?

Hey guys, I've been recently messing around in the map editor trying to create a small map so I can build stuff and experiment with different village schematics.
However, I am having trouble making the map. My designing skills are pretty bad as well. Are there any maps out there that don't have any attacks coming to you or any objective or a time limit or so? I would love a map that would allow me to experiment with different village layouts.
Thanks for the help!
<<

Bo_

Knight

Post 17 Oct 2012, 15:11

Re: Sandbox/Build map?

Tutorial? :)
Kick fast, think Bo.
<<

gvazdas

Laborer

Post 17 Oct 2012, 15:20

It's a little too small and it doesn't have any iron, coal or gold mines. I want to be able to build everything in possibly a big enough area, maybe a flatlands sort of map (similar to the basic map editor starting map)
<<

sado1

Council Member

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 17 Oct 2012, 15:52

Find a good multiplayer map that fits your expectations, then convert it to singleplayer (you'll need to just set one of the locations as "human" and save as singleplayer map).
<<

gvazdas

Laborer

Post 17 Oct 2012, 16:05

Quite frankly, there isn't one. I've checked most of them and they are just in an unlikable area, or it's too small, or there's not enough resources. You get the point. I'll play on the map editor map with a village in the center and have just most of the supplies set up so I can build something, but I don't find it as fun where I have all the supplies in my storehouse. I would make the map myself, but I can't find a good map editor that would be easy to use for a 5 minute map. I used one and I couldn't get the iron ore veins to work.
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 17 Oct 2012, 16:38

Lol, you dislike all multiplayer maps? Then I don't think we can help you... :rolleyes:
<<

gvazdas

Laborer

Post 17 Oct 2012, 16:43

Lol, you dislike all multiplayer maps? Then I don't think we can help you... :rolleyes:
No no no, you misunderstand me. I like most of them, but what I am looking for is a map that is comfortable to build in. High slopes, mountains next to the main storehouse and etc are what turn me off. And especially areas that are too small or have too few resources. I'm looking for a sort of 'best case scenario' or a cheaty-ish map, let's call it that. It's for experimenting, not for actual practice.
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 17 Oct 2012, 16:49

No no no, you misunderstand me. I like most of them, but what I am looking for is a map that is comfortable to build in. High slopes, mountains next to the main storehouse and etc are what turn me off. And especially areas that are too small or have too few resources. I'm looking for a sort of 'best case scenario' or a cheaty-ish map, let's call it that. It's for experimenting, not for actual practice.
Have you tried making it yourself, yet? If you make it yourself, it fits your needs perfectly..
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 17 Oct 2012, 16:49

What kind of experiment do you want to set up? I'm not sure what you want, you want resourcse to be close but there can't be mountains close to your storehouse... That sounds contradictory.
I think you will have to make a map like that yourself (try Krom's map editor, it's easy to use).
<<

gvazdas

Laborer

Post 17 Oct 2012, 16:52

What kind of experiment do you want to set up? I'm not sure what you want, you want resourcse to be close but there can't be mountains close to your storehouse... That sounds contradictory.
I think you will have to make a map like that yourself (try Krom's map editor, it's easy to use).
Yes yes, I have done so already. It seems fitting for me at the moment, I managed to get most of the resources in a fair distance.
What I meant by too close is right next to the storehouse. 10, perhaps 15 tiles away is very fine for me. I have done so and created all the resources at a fair distance. I have used all three map editors and got a decent map to experiment on.
I am going to see what quantities of buildings are best for making one resource, and what amount of serfs is actually optimal for the villages I build. It's going to be mostly just having fun, messing around and buildng the village of my dreams - all the resources I can get, and all the space I can manage.
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 17 Oct 2012, 17:43

I like the idea of a sandbox mode for KaM Remake. As already said easiest approach is to take an MP map and re-save it as singleplayer (setting 1 player to be Human controllable). We were thinking about adding "endless resources" cheat, that would help to keep mountains/coal well used, but there are certain issues we need to sort out first.
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de

Return to “General / Questions”