Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Buildings in progress

<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 20 Oct 2012, 06:51

Re: Buildings in progress

That would not make a practical sense, knowing if there is 1 plank "en route" or not if you cant control it.

@Siegfried: You had too few serfs at the start (28-45min) and too few wood (28-70min), note as stone was delivered. All Serfs chose closer deliveries and all wood went to closer building sites too. Lack of road under the Store played its minor role as well - slowing down all the deliveries.
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 22 Oct 2012, 00:48

Btw: if you find time, please do a quick debugging onto that game (download here because attachments in this forum are limited to 256kb only). I attached the replay. I was the red one, right side, second to the top. The woodcutter next to the coal inside my base was planned at 0:28 minutes into the game, but was not finished until 1:12. I am just interested why even the iron mines and smithies were delivered with timber even though they were planned much later than the woodcutter and were farer away both in direct distance as in road distance. The deliveries to the iron mine were between 0:59 and 1:02 and to the two to the iron smithy between 1:07 and 1:10. Why were they at higher priority?
Timber to a construction site will go to the closest destination. By my calculations the distance from your sawmill to the furthest iron mine site is 45.71 tiles. The distance to the furthest woodcutter site is 46.17. Therefore the iron mines got the wood before the woodcutter. If the timber had been in your storehouse then the woodcutter would have got it (the storehouse, unlike the sawmill, is closer to the woodcutter than the iron mine). Remember KaM uses direct distances in such measurements not via the road network. It would take too much CPU usage to trace the path to every possible destination and decide which path is shortest, and 99% of the time you would notice no difference than by using the direct distances.

Your biggest problem in that game was lack of woodcutters, for a while you only had one. At that point you needed to prioritise building more woodcutters as soon as possible, but unfortunately most of your wood was wasted on other buildings.
<<

Siegfried

Knight

Post 22 Oct 2012, 08:39

Thank you Lewin, that's the information that I needed. I did not know how exactly the distance is calculated, but from your numbers I conclude that it is from door to door, but still air-line distance. I am aware of my many mistakes, I just was surprised that the iron mines got timber before the woodcutter although I thought they were further away.

Just as some food for thought: wouldn't it be nice to implement the actual planning time into delivery order? Just now it is that a building will never be delivered until all others are built if it is far away, even if it was planned first. But the order of planning is important as people don't just build on random but think what to build first and what not. So maybe that should be reflected in the delivery process.

Well, maybe I am just too spoilt by the settlers 2 (there is actually a remake of that, too), there only the planning time matters. First planned, first delivered. But at least you have the chance to change delivery priorities there.
<<

FeyBart

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 14 Nov 2012, 08:21

Thank you Lewin, that's the information that I needed. I did not know how exactly the distance is calculated, but from your numbers I conclude that it is from door to door, but still air-line distance. I am aware of my many mistakes, I just was surprised that the iron mines got timber before the woodcutter although I thought they were further away.

Just as some food for thought: wouldn't it be nice to implement the actual planning time into delivery order? Just now it is that a building will never be delivered until all others are built if it is far away, even if it was planned first. But the order of planning is important as people don't just build on random but think what to build first and what not. So maybe that should be reflected in the delivery process.

Well, maybe I am just too spoilt by the settlers 2 (there is actually a remake of that, too), there only the planning time matters. First planned, first delivered. But at least you have the chance to change delivery priorities there.
I don't think we should add this. I think we should keep it like it is, but now give buildings priorities you can add manually, as in the Tropico series.
Nice coffee is always nice.

Return to “Ideas / Suggestions”