Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Making the game more accesible to new players.

<<

krs

Recruit

Post 07 Oct 2012, 07:57

Making the game more accesible to new players.

In the first scenario where you village burns..... You have some buildings that get burned to ashes. (No information latter on what building was there unlike Caesar ;) )

This triggered the following idea. Start that mission (or a tutorial) with a similar setup. A small fully functional village that gets burned, but is used as a blueprint for the future village. (You will build a forester on the previous forester place, sawmill on the previous sawmill etc.)

This can be easily achieved with obstacles that lets you build only in that spot.

Just my 2 Cents...
<<

Da Revolution

Knight

Post 07 Oct 2012, 08:03

Re: Making the game more accesible to new players.

Play the building tutorial and you know enough about the buildings. Why would it matter if you place the exact same building at the spot where it was or not?
"No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path" - Buddha
<<

krs

Recruit

Post 07 Oct 2012, 08:17

I would argue that the tutorial leaves enough room for error. I've played the game some years ago and restarted the tutorial and ended up with house with no road access because 1 tile was masked by a tree, a farmer "assigned" to work in the mill, a stone-cutter wandering kilometers to get stone, and some ugly farms :D.

The purpose of building on the same spot is like in any other game where tutorial restricts you on where/what to build. To provide you some more guidance and leave less room for errors.

I am curious now about what mistakes other people did. I will start a thread :)
<<

Da Revolution

Knight

Post 07 Oct 2012, 08:38

Well yes there are things that could be improved at the tutorial to make things more clear. The stonecutter only walks a certain amount of tiles so that shouldn't be a big problem.

About building at the same spot, maybe there could be a way to mark it (maybe possible since beacons are implemented). This way people don't have to build on that place, but they do know its maybe the best for them.
"No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path" - Buddha
<<

FeyBart

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 17 Nov 2012, 08:16

In the first scenario where you village burns..... You have some buildings that get burned to ashes. (No information latter on what building was there unlike Caesar ;) )

This triggered the following idea. Start that mission (or a tutorial) with a similar setup. A small fully functional village that gets burned, but is used as a blueprint for the future village. (You will build a forester on the previous forester place, sawmill on the previous sawmill etc.)

This can be easily achieved with obstacles that lets you build only in that spot.

Just my 2 Cents...
Sounds great. You should design that!
Nice coffee is always nice.

Return to “Ideas / Suggestions”