Project KAM REMAKE

<<

Remake 2012

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 02 Sep 2012, 13:38

Project KAM REMAKE

I find in internet a interesting site. > http://www.kickstarter.com/

Kickstarter is the world's largest funding platform for creative projects. Every week, tens of thousands of amazing people pledge millions of dollars to projects from the worlds of music, film, games, art, technology, design, food, publishing and other creative fields.

What is Kickstarter?
Kickstarter is a new way to fund creative projects.
We believe that:
• A good idea, communicated well, can spread fast and wide.
• A large group of people can be a tremendous source of money and encouragement.
Kickstarter is powered by a unique all-or-nothing funding method where projects must be fully-funded or no money changes hands.

Why not start the project on page remake and see how much can earn money?
Certainly injection of money contributed positively to the creation of for game: graphics, animations, buildings ;)
Lewin/Krom/others what you say?
:mrgreen:
<<

sado1

Council Member

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 02 Sep 2012, 14:10

Re: Project KAM REMAKE

Kickstarter is for projects that need funding to survive. I doubt it's a good place for Remake, which doesn't need loads of money to be developed, doesn't really need new artwork made by paid artists, etc.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 02 Sep 2012, 14:13

We already have a donate button on our website. KickStarter just runs for a month or so and ends... so we'd only get donations for that time. I doubt it'd get us much more than our current donate button.
Thanks for the suggestion though :)
<<

FAN

Post 03 Sep 2012, 06:12

What about STEAM Greenlight?
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 03 Sep 2012, 06:40

Unfortunately we don't have any right to publish KaM arrests like images, sounds, etc. so that's not really possible. We could maybe talk to the publishers of KaM but i'm not sure they'd be interested, and they'd probably want control over the development process to some extent.
Also we'd have to get permission from everyone who has contributed to this project under the assumption that we're not making any money from their work (e.g. Translators, map authors, artists, etc.). Then there's the fact that we took translations and voice files from different publishers for each language so we'd need permission from them.

Krom and I are happy for the project to be open and free, we don't expect money although we wouldn't complain :P
Being on stream would give us a lot of advantages like automatic update distribution, server coordination, accounts, etc. which would be neat.
<<

Encaitar

Lance Carrier

Post 03 Sep 2012, 07:54

Unfortunately we don't have any right to publish KaM arrests like images, sounds, etc. so that's not really possible. We could maybe talk to the publishers of KaM but i'm not sure they'd be interested, and they'd probably want control over the development process to some extent.
Also we'd have to get permission from everyone who has contributed to this project under the assumption that we're not making any money from their work (e.g. Translators, map authors, artists, etc.). Then there's the fact that we took translations and voice files from different publishers for each language so we'd need permission from them.

Krom and I are happy for the project to be open and free, we don't expect money although we wouldn't complain :P
Being on stream would give us a lot of advantages like automatic update distribution, server coordination, accounts, etc. which would be neat.
What you could do is writing a licence that states that if anyone wanted to contribute to the KaM Remake project, the rights of their work will be shared with you Lewin and Krom. That gives the advantage that all new material is already in your permission. Of course you still have to get permission from everyone whom did already contribute to the KaM Remake project (the permission of all the language files would be gained easy that way. As soon a any translator would give their new version of the String file, you would have their permission as well).

I think making the publishers of KaM interested is the hardest part, as there is little value for them for posting this project to Steam. However, by posting KaM Remake at Steam maybe KaM would become more known to people, which would lead to people buying copies of KaM.
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 03 Sep 2012, 11:51

Kickstarter idea could work in few cases:

- if we collect funds to buyout graphics/sounds/voice/music/title(?) assets from TopWare, but I'm not sure Topware will be interested in selling and neither if Kickstarter allows such project goals.
- or if we collect funds to hire professional artists and create a new game from scratch heavily based on KaM, but still different enough to avoid copyright issues, thats the right use of Kickstarter, but I'm not sure we can handle that nor if it will be as good as KaM seeing how much trouble we already have with simple warriors balancing.
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

Remake 2012

Knight

Post 10 Sep 2012, 06:50

Another site like that (http://www.kickstarter.com/)

http://www.indiegogo.com/

Raise Money

Everyone should have the opportunity to raise money. Now everyone does. People all over the world use our industry-leading platform to raise millions of dollars for all types of campaigns. No matter what you are raising money for, you can start right now with no fee or application process.

Create Your Campaign—It’s Simple

At Indiegogo, creating a campaign is simple. Tell people what you are doing, how they can help and what unique perks they’ll get for becoming contributors. You keep 100% ownership of your campaign and you don’t owe us a cent until you raise money. Our customer happiness team is here to make sure you have the support you need any time of day.

Gain Global Exposure

Indiegogo helps you spread the word about your campaign with a unique algorithm we call the gogofactor. Use our powerful social media tools when you launch your funding campaign and start sharing, tweeting, and encouraging people to “like” your campaign to boost your gogofactor. Raise it enough and you could be featured on our homepage or in the press!

Get Inspired

Browse the thousands of amazing campaigns on our site to find your inspiration. Discover something new, contribute to a campaign and join the tens of thousands of people who use Indiegogo every day.

What does Indiegogo do?

Indiegogo is a crowdfunding platform where people who want to raise money can create fundraising campaigns to tell their story and get the word out. Indiegogo is also a place to discover what people all over the world are passionate about and how to get involved.
Who uses Indiegogo?

People all over the world are using Indiegogo—both to raise money and to contribute to other people’s passions. There is no limitation on who can use Indiegogo as long as you have a valid bank account.
Why do people contribute to campaigns?

People contribute to campaigns for many reasons, but usually it’s because they want to be involved in what the campaign is doing or because they want the perks that are part of the campaign.
How much does Indiegogo cost?

Indiegogo is free to join. There is a fee on any money that is raised, which is 4% of the money you raise if you meet your goal or 9% if you do not meet your goal. For more on fees, see our article: Pricing & Fees
Are contributions tax-deductible?

Most contributions are not tax-deductible. Campaigns may offer tax deductions on contributions only if they are set up as a 501©(3) non-profit and only receive funds into their non-profit PayPal account. For more information on how to set up your campaign to offer tax deductions, see our article: PayPal Set-Up for Nonprofits.
Who do I contact if I have a question about my contribution?

If you have a question about a perk, shipping address or need to provide additional information for your contribution, contact the campaign owner. For all other questions, refer to our Contributor Happiness page or email us.
How do I get featured on the homepage?

Indiegogo is a merit-based platform where the most active campaigns are featured based on a unique algorithm called the gogofactor. Click here to learn more about gogofactor.
Can I cancel my account?

You can cancel your account as long as you have not raised any money. Accounts that have raised money must remain active. Contact support@indiegogo.com to cancel your account or campaign.
Is anyone in the world able to create a campaign?

Indiegogo is an international platform, so anyone with a bank account can start a campaign. We do not, however, allow campaigns from countries on the U.S. OFAC sanctions list. For more information on which countries are included in this list, see our article on International Campaigns.
What if I don’t reach my funding goal?

If your campaign is set up as Flexible Funding, you will be able to keep the funds you raise, even if you don’t meet your goal. If your campaign is set up as Fixed Funding, all contributions will be returned to your funders if you do not meet your goal. Flexible Funding campaigns that meet their goal are only charged 4% as our platform fee, whereas campaigns that do not meet their goal are charged 9%.
How do I create a campaign?

It’s easy and free to create a campaign. We don’t have an application process, so you can get started right now. Click here to create your campaign.
What do I need to do to have a successful campaign?

There are many factors that contribute to a successful campaign. Learn more about how to create a campaign here.
Can I raise money or contribute in my currency?

At this time, Indiegogo only accepts and disburses funds in U.S. Dollars.
<<

Shadaoe

Knight

Post 10 Sep 2012, 08:07

and what unique perks they’ll get for becoming contributors.
because they want the perks that are part of the campaign.
Problem :p (among others I guess)
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 10 Sep 2012, 08:13

Indiegogo and Kickstarter both take a considerable fee on top of the small Paypal fee that is already changed. Donations through our own site means:
a) We only have to pay the small Paypal fee, so we get a larger percentage of the donations
b) People can donate in any currency supported by Paypal
c) There's no time limit, we can leave it there forever (kickstarter is usually a 30 day thing)
d) We don't have to set a target and reach it before we get any money (on kickstarter/indiegogo you don't get any money at all until you reach your target, and if the time runs out before you reach the target, the money is all refunded to the donors)
e) We don't have to give people anything like perks in return (we don't have KaM Remake tee-shirts or anything :P)

We might get a few more donations with a campaign through Kickstarer or Indiegogo, but I doubt it would be much more than on our own site. We still need people to donate, and I doubt we'll find more people on one of those sites compared to our own. Putting ourselves on those sites doesn't mean we instantly get hundreds of people donating to us, I doubt anybody other than KaM fans would donate. People will only donate to us if they have a reason to want to support us.
<<

Remake 2012

Knight

Post 10 Sep 2012, 08:25

I have an idea on these portals.
It was possible to start a campaign which would have to raise money for the creation of new buildings, units, additional graphics, new solutions.
In general, writing: to raise money to develop an existing project.
<<

FeyBart

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 17 Nov 2012, 07:56

Another site like that (http://www.kickstarter.com/)

http://www.indiegogo.com/

Raise Money

Everyone should have the opportunity to raise money. Now everyone does. People all over the world use our industry-leading platform to raise millions of dollars for all types of campaigns. No matter what you are raising money for, you can start right now with no fee or application process.

Create Your Campaign—It’s Simple

At Indiegogo, creating a campaign is simple. Tell people what you are doing, how they can help and what unique perks they’ll get for becoming contributors. You keep 100% ownership of your campaign and you don’t owe us a cent until you raise money. Our customer happiness team is here to make sure you have the support you need any time of day.

Gain Global Exposure

Indiegogo helps you spread the word about your campaign with a unique algorithm we call the gogofactor. Use our powerful social media tools when you launch your funding campaign and start sharing, tweeting, and encouraging people to “like” your campaign to boost your gogofactor. Raise it enough and you could be featured on our homepage or in the press!

Get Inspired

Browse the thousands of amazing campaigns on our site to find your inspiration. Discover something new, contribute to a campaign and join the tens of thousands of people who use Indiegogo every day.

What does Indiegogo do?

Indiegogo is a crowdfunding platform where people who want to raise money can create fundraising campaigns to tell their story and get the word out. Indiegogo is also a place to discover what people all over the world are passionate about and how to get involved.
Who uses Indiegogo?

People all over the world are using Indiegogo—both to raise money and to contribute to other people’s passions. There is no limitation on who can use Indiegogo as long as you have a valid bank account.
Why do people contribute to campaigns?

People contribute to campaigns for many reasons, but usually it’s because they want to be involved in what the campaign is doing or because they want the perks that are part of the campaign.
How much does Indiegogo cost?

Indiegogo is free to join. There is a fee on any money that is raised, which is 4% of the money you raise if you meet your goal or 9% if you do not meet your goal. For more on fees, see our article: Pricing & Fees
Are contributions tax-deductible?

Most contributions are not tax-deductible. Campaigns may offer tax deductions on contributions only if they are set up as a 501©(3) non-profit and only receive funds into their non-profit PayPal account. For more information on how to set up your campaign to offer tax deductions, see our article: PayPal Set-Up for Nonprofits.
Who do I contact if I have a question about my contribution?

If you have a question about a perk, shipping address or need to provide additional information for your contribution, contact the campaign owner. For all other questions, refer to our Contributor Happiness page or email us.
How do I get featured on the homepage?

Indiegogo is a merit-based platform where the most active campaigns are featured based on a unique algorithm called the gogofactor. Click here to learn more about gogofactor.
Can I cancel my account?

You can cancel your account as long as you have not raised any money. Accounts that have raised money must remain active. Contact support@indiegogo.com to cancel your account or campaign.
Is anyone in the world able to create a campaign?

Indiegogo is an international platform, so anyone with a bank account can start a campaign. We do not, however, allow campaigns from countries on the U.S. OFAC sanctions list. For more information on which countries are included in this list, see our article on International Campaigns.
What if I don’t reach my funding goal?

If your campaign is set up as Flexible Funding, you will be able to keep the funds you raise, even if you don’t meet your goal. If your campaign is set up as Fixed Funding, all contributions will be returned to your funders if you do not meet your goal. Flexible Funding campaigns that meet their goal are only charged 4% as our platform fee, whereas campaigns that do not meet their goal are charged 9%.
How do I create a campaign?

It’s easy and free to create a campaign. We don’t have an application process, so you can get started right now. Click here to create your campaign.
What do I need to do to have a successful campaign?

There are many factors that contribute to a successful campaign. Learn more about how to create a campaign here.
Can I raise money or contribute in my currency?

At this time, Indiegogo only accepts and disburses funds in U.S. Dollars.
You can really cook some delicious copy pastry!

Anyway, I wouldn't say KickStarter or IndieGoGo would be very realistic, seeing as we wouldn't need the money. I don't think anyone would donate anything.
Nice coffee is always nice.
<<

sado1

Council Member

Post 17 Nov 2012, 14:03

Anyway, I wouldn't say KickStarter or IndieGoGo would be very realistic, seeing as we wouldn't need the money. I don't think anyone would donate anything.
Someone once said at the chat, that he hates when people say "we", when meaning anything related to development of KaM... and this sentence made me see his point. It's not "we" the developers. It's "they". Neither you, nor I, wrote a single line of code for Remake. So it wouldn't be right, in my opinion, if I said "we don't need the money". I know it's a mental shortcut, but it really would be better to say "Remake project doesn't need the money to make next significant developments". I hope you won't be mad at me sticking to such a small thing :) I agree with your point, there are donations by Paypal, if someone wants to give devs some money, they can do that.
<<

FeyBart

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 17 Nov 2012, 18:02

(...)
Someone once said at the chat, that he hates when people say "we", when meaning anything related to development of KaM... and this sentence made me see his point. It's not "we" the developers. It's "they". Neither you, nor I, wrote a single line of code for Remake. So it wouldn't be right, in my opinion, if I said "we don't need the money". I know it's a mental shortcut, but it really would be better to say "Remake project doesn't need the money to make next significant developments". I hope you won't be mad at me sticking to such a small thing :) I agree with your point, there are donations by Paypal, if someone wants to give devs some money, they can do that.
I don't want to be rude, but this is kinda nitpicking. You understand what I mean, and you even agree with me, so I don't see why you're pointing this out. No hard feelings, really. It just bugged me somewhat.
Nice coffee is always nice.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 17 Nov 2012, 18:22

Someone once said at the chat, that he hates when people say "we", when meaning anything related to development of KaM... and this sentence made me see his point. It's not "we" the developers.
I wonder who that was? :P

I think that you really shouldn't do this. Not only is sado's point true (you didn't write any code) but it really demeans the work of the actual Remake developers.
I used to spam this forum so much...

Return to “Ideas / Suggestions”