Project KAM REMAKE

<<

FeyBart

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 17 Nov 2012, 21:38

Re: Project KAM REMAKE

(...)
I think that you really shouldn't do this. Not only is sado's point true (you didn't write any code) but it really demeans the work of the actual Remake developers.
Damn. It wasn't on purpose. I've always had tons of respect for Krom and Lewin - something I've shown time after time - and I didn't even think of it. Both of you only pay attention to the way I wrote my message, and not the content of that message.
Nice coffee is always nice.
<<

sado1

Council Member

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 17 Nov 2012, 23:38

I know it wasn't on purpose, and I regret my post already. I'm sorry, let's just move on, it's such a little thing, even if my point was valid, I should be less of a grammar nazi (or whatever term applies to my behavior there) and keep things like that to myself.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 17 Nov 2012, 23:55

I don't really mind if people use "we" to refer to the project "team". Everyone here as contributed to the Remake in SOME way, sure Krom and I have done the most work but none of that would have happened without the support from the community, and none of it would have meaning without people like you to play it. In fact some people on this forum have given us important suggestions that have shaped the development process (e.g. Siegfried's advice on UDP/TCP). Even just taking part in discussions here is helping out, it builds our community and often the end result of discussions helps us in making decisions and judging what people want.

In some ways saying "we" makes the community feel stronger and more meaningful. It's nice to have the Remake connected with the community where everybody has done his little part for the game: Someone makes a map, someone maintains a translation, someone help with balance discussion/testing, someone reports a bug, someone makes a suggestion that gets implemented, someone makes some sound effects, someone draws an icon, etc. I guess doing any of those things makes you "part of the project" in some little way, and because of that I don't mind if people say "we" to include themselves in the "KaM Remake team". That doesn't mean you are the project owners or get to make big decisions, but I think it gives you the right to say "we" :)

In this case I'm not sure I completely agree that "we don't need the money". Sure we don't actually need or expect it, but money could be used to buy stuff to improve the KaM Remake, for example an artist to make new sprites. It could also be used to pay for development tools/libraries, or to pass on some donation to free libraries that we use (e.g. our crash reporter madExcept has been invaluable to us, and it's a free-for-non-comercial-use project that accepts donations). We could also cover costs on things like servers (which currently we or other fans are paying for out of their own pockets).

However I think at the moment our Paypal button on our website is the best way to go. Using a website like Kickstarter would be too actively seeking money for my liking, which the owners of KaM might not like.
<<

FeyBart

Knight

Post 18 Nov 2012, 11:30

I know it wasn't on purpose, and I regret my post already. I'm sorry, let's just move on, it's such a little thing, even if my point was valid, I should be less of a grammar nazi (or whatever term applies to my behavior there) and keep things like that to myself.
No hard feelings. I didn't mind the fact that you pointed it out; it keeps my use of language sharp. In fact, I'd rather have people tell me it, than holding it back, leaving me look like an idiot. I just overreacted a little. However, I found it disturbing that Ben had to point it out all over again.
(...)
In this case I'm not sure I completely agree that "we don't need the money". Sure we don't actually need or expect it, but money could be used to buy stuff to improve the KaM Remake, for example an artist to make new sprites. It could also be used to pay for development tools/libraries, or to pass on some donation to free libraries that we use (e.g. our crash reporter madExcept has been invaluable to us, and it's a free-for-non-comercial-use project that accepts donations). We could also cover costs on things like servers (which currently we or other fans are paying for out of their own pockets).

However I think at the moment our Paypal button on our website is the best way to go. Using a website like Kickstarter would be too actively seeking money for my liking, which the owners of KaM might not like.
Well, the way I interpreted the sites, is as a way to raise money for projects that won't have a future, unless they raise a lot of money fast. And as the project isn't in desperate need of money, there is no need for IndieGoGo or KickStarter.

Though, I would say that if you'd get donations, you shouldn't donate that money to a library or program that's used for the Remake. People who donate money probably expect to see some of it back in some way. If you donate that money to the next project, some people might see it as wasted. I get that you'd want to help the other projects, too. But I'm just saying some donators might not agree.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 18 Nov 2012, 13:13

Though, I would say that if you'd get donations, you shouldn't donate that money to a library or program that's used for the Remake. People who donate money probably expect to see some of it back in some way. If you donate that money to the next project, some people might see it as wasted. I get that you'd want to help the other projects, too. But I'm just saying some donators might not agree.
But the libraries we've used have made the development of the Remake far easier and faster, and that's definitely something people see back (e.g. madExcept has made it 10x easier/faster to find and fix bugs, so the Remake is less buggy now). Such libraries often wouldn't exist without donations, so I don't see any problem with passing a small amount of the donations on to other developers who have written libraries/tools which have greatly sped up our own development process. After all, if nobody donated to those projects the libraries might not exist and then we'd have to spend time writing them ourselves. IMO it's no different to buying some fancy commercial library/tool/software package that we could use in our development, it's just a different financial model.

Also, you said "if you'd get donations". We are currently accepting donations and quite a number of people have already donated.
<<

FeyBart

Knight

Post 18 Nov 2012, 18:44

(...)
But the libraries we've used have made the development of the Remake far easier and faster, and that's definitely something people see back (e.g. madExcept has made it 10x easier/faster to find and fix bugs, so the Remake is less buggy now). Such libraries often wouldn't exist without donations, so I don't see any problem with passing a small amount of the donations on to other developers who have written libraries/tools which have greatly sped up our own development process. After all, if nobody donated to those projects the libraries might not exist and then we'd have to spend time writing them ourselves. IMO it's no different to buying some fancy commercial library/tool/software package that we could use in our development, it's just a different financial model.
I guess that's a different way of looking at it. The more I know. :P
Also, you said "if you'd get donations". We are currently accepting donations and quite a number of people have already donated.
Poor choice of words, I guess.

Return to “Ideas / Suggestions”