Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Chasing archers and combat

<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 30 Aug 2012, 09:45

Chasing archers and combat

I'm not sure if it was intended to be how it is now, but I can't imagine anyone didn't see the differences between Remake and TPR/TSK. When I sneak in someone's town with a scout, I can run much further and faster without 'locking up' by attacking serfs. In TPR and TSK units lock up way faster. Now, I didn't really mind, until now.
That same scout that runs through towns with ease fails to kill archers from behind. This is what happens: I kill one archer. The player gets an alert that his troops are under attack and he moves them away from my scout. I pursue them and try to attack them. But once my scout is on a tile next or behind the archer, the archer moves to the next tile and the attack stops. And it happens over and over and over and over and over again. I think in original KaM, the cavalry unit would finish his attack and it would count as a hit (even though he would only hit the air because the archer already moved on).
It is really frustrating for someone whose tactic partly depends on dastardly acts with cavalry. :P
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 30 Aug 2012, 10:25

Re: Chasing archers and combat

This is what happens: I kill one archer. The player gets an alert that his troops are under attack and he moves them away from my scout. I pursue them and try to attack them. But once my scout is on a tile next or behind the archer, the archer moves to the next tile and the attack stops. And it happens over and over and over and over and over again. P
Yeah this is really a big "bug" which I don´t like too. You mean, that it looks like the archer is faster than the horse, because the horse can´t kill the archer really professionaly, because the archer is going :D

pawel95
<<

godest

Lance Carrier

Post 01 Sep 2012, 13:01

Indeed, another reason why most people just build archers/crossbowmen is because of this i belive, if you cannot chase down archers on foot with people on horses, then what :P?
A mage is never late - Gandalf
<<

Bo_

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 01 Sep 2012, 23:15

Well it's better to flank archers from 2 sides, then they get easily killed. :)
Kick fast, think Bo.
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

Post 03 Sep 2012, 08:57

It's already hard enough to control your cavalry and the rest of your army at the same time. Btw was it your lonely archer on Enter the Heat yesterday Bo? Did you notice how long it took before I could hit you?
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 03 Sep 2012, 09:02

We are aware of these problems and it's on the todo lists. Not sure when we'll get around to fixing it but I just wanted to let you know that we're not happy with the situation either.
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

Post 03 Sep 2012, 09:13

Ok, I'm glad to hear that. :)
<<

Bo_

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 03 Sep 2012, 10:37

What do you mean with my lonely archer?
Kick fast, think Bo.
<<

tover

Farmer

Post 27 Oct 2012, 02:53

i noticed 2things that make chancing archers rly difficult in large battles.

first one i think works as intended(if remember it was like this in normal kam) when u close with enemy archers and they retreat ur guys kill the ones they are in melee range of,but then often stop chasing as by this time the other archers out of melee range(when melee gets joined the order to attack the enemy regiment is reset or something)

second one is rly annoying and im not 100% what caused,but i think it is either the enemy unit i clicked on to attack that dies,the unit i had selected when ordering that dies or the regimentleader that dies.when this happens i give order to attack enemy archers and without me giving any other orders my axeman who had closed half the ground with enemy archers turned around and seemed to start walking back to the position they were stationed before i ordered them to attack.
(has anyone else noticed this or am i just doing something wrong,i swear this never happend on original kam)

also tho i dont rly want them changed archers do seem to rule combat,their range,great power,ability to attack without being ordered to+ability to move away from melee fights all put together makes for one hell of a powerhouse.
<<

Da Revolution

Knight

Post 27 Oct 2012, 08:46

second one is rly annoying and im not 100% what caused,but i think it is either the enemy unit i clicked on to attack that dies,the unit i had selected when ordering that dies or the regimentleader that dies.when this happens i give order to attack enemy archers and without me giving any other orders my axeman who had closed half the ground with enemy archers turned around and seemed to start walking back to the position they were stationed before i ordered them to attack.
(has anyone else noticed this or am i just doing something wrong,i swear this never happend on original kam)

also tho i dont rly want them changed archers do seem to rule combat,their range,great power,ability to attack without being ordered to+ability to move away from melee fights all put together makes for one hell of a powerhouse.
Your first point often happens when the leader/flag-carrier of the group dies and the new stand at a certain spot. They'll start walking back to it if I'm right.

About the strength of archers...they aren't that strong. Most people don't even think of training them because for example one lancer is better (combined with xbows)
"No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path" - Buddha
<<

tover

Farmer

Post 27 Oct 2012, 14:22

when i said archers i ment ranged chars,so both archers and xbows(sorry for confusion)

Return to “Bugs”