Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

New building and possible units

<<

EDMatt

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Expert

Post 14 Jul 2012, 18:52

Re: New building and possible units

I would start with houses and then see how it goes. Small pieces at time, but with a bigger picture in mind ;-) Thats how we do it with Remake.
Once again, palette colors is the least of the problems )
Ok.
Well if any of you guys are good at line art , please do give me a hand, I probably am better at shading in colours then creative line art, but i will give it a shot. Ill provide my test building sometime tomorrow or perhaps even later on tonight :), tree cutter or school is what im going to draw.

Edit: Will i redo the building and putdesert like walls on it?
Roses are red
violets are blue
I.G. is blessed
To be the BEST!!
<<

EDMatt

Knight

Post 14 Jul 2012, 22:38

Still very raw.

Now try and say it doesnt look like some Arabic house ;)
Roses are red
violets are blue
I.G. is blessed
To be the BEST!!
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 15 Jul 2012, 06:16

Can you attach some reference pics you used? Cos right now it looks like a bleached version of previous image. Where's arabic houses A - have much finer stones with more smooth surface, B - tend to be rectangular.
Seriously though - dont listen too much to my ranting, just keep on doing good work ))))
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 15 Jul 2012, 10:00

Once again I must agree with Krom. :P
<<

Remake 2012

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 15 Jul 2012, 11:35

New buildings:

"Dinette", and "Lobby"
"Dinette" - a smaller version of the tavern
"Lobby" - an example (you have too many helpers who stand and do nothing, blocking roads, so will wait to go to her and sat ... "talking"

<<

Piko

Warrior

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 15 Jul 2012, 12:35

New buildings:

"Dinette", and "Lobby"
"Lobby" - an example (you have too many helpers who stand and do nothing, blocking roads, so will wait to go to her and sat ... "talking"

"Lobby" It's a bit useless. Serfs will made more traffics while going to it. ;P

Dinnete is also useless, two versions of the same building aren't needed. And in it can eat the same number of people like in inn. ;P

And try to made something, what aren't part of other buildings. ;P
ImageImage
<<

EDMatt

Knight

Post 15 Jul 2012, 18:05

Can you attach some reference pics you used? Cos right now it looks like a bleached version of previous image. Where's arabic houses A - have much finer stones with more smooth surface, B - tend to be rectangular.
Seriously though - dont listen too much to my ranting, just keep on doing good work ))))
We cannot say there is simply 1 version of an Arabic buildng and same goes for style, I was typically going for a rough sand like version of an arabic building, I redrew the stones completely if you must know and made alot of changes to the surface of the enterance (doorway?).

I think the main concern here is that we all have different versions of an Arabic style in our heads, maybe we should all decide on what we want and work towards that?

Simply saying "oh this isnt good " or "I think this isnt the right style" is a very bold statement, now if it was a bit more constractive like "this and that is wrong while this is going in the right direction, you should look here and here for style refferences " would be a more useful approach to things.

I come from a pixel art forum and am use to a more constructive criticism, otherwise we will be going in circles if you know what i mean.
Roses are red
violets are blue
I.G. is blessed
To be the BEST!!
<<

EDMatt

Knight

Post 15 Jul 2012, 18:07

Once again I must agree with Krom. :P
Why do you think you agree? what style do you have in mind? do you have any refference pictures? how would you like it too look like (the surface of the wall)?

1 line statements like your's are of no help to me :) please elaborate
Roses are red
violets are blue
I.G. is blessed
To be the BEST!!
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 15 Jul 2012, 18:28

'I agree' in response to someone's comment means I agree with the comment, thus sharing the same opinion. In this case I particularly agree about the walls: as far as I have seen, Arabic buildings have smooth walls and not those large stones.
I don't really mind the round shapes, it doesn't have to be all rectangular in my opinion.
<<

EDMatt

Knight

Post 15 Jul 2012, 21:40

Ill post something new tomorrow.. hopefuly by then Krom will post a few pictures he likes :)
Roses are red
violets are blue
I.G. is blessed
To be the BEST!!
<<

EDMatt

Knight

Post 15 Jul 2012, 23:50

Its 12:49 and I am tired :) how about gold? Image
Also, this is VERY ROUGH! I rushed it to show you a preview of what it would look like, remember , the roof is not done!
Roses are red
violets are blue
I.G. is blessed
To be the BEST!!
<<

EDMatt

Knight

Post 16 Jul 2012, 01:08

New buildings:

"Dinette", and "Lobby"

"Lobby" It's a bit useless. Serfs will made more traffics while going to it. ;P

Dinnete is also useless, two versions of the same building aren't needed. And in it can eat the same number of people like in inn. ;P

And try to made something, what aren't part of other buildings. ;P
Most of your ideas consist of ripping off already drawen pieces in the game and pasting them as a new concept, I suggest you draw some original art.
Roses are red
violets are blue
I.G. is blessed
To be the BEST!!
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 16 Jul 2012, 05:30

@EDMatt: I did not said "oh this isn't good " or "I think this isn't the right style", please be more constructive in your defense ) What I meant is that copy/pasting/bleaching existing houses into someone else's sketch hardly counts as a new creative work. I did not knew you are a pixel artist, my apologies. I'm graphics designer by education and I do know certain things about workflow, I was trying to give you direction, but it seems that just offended you, sorry, I did not meant to offend you.

Constructive advice: Get a general idea. Do some research. Get some reference pics of structures, wall textures, materials. Plan the house(s) looks with a mashup in photoshop. Make shaded shape of the house and only then start applying texture/facture to it. Put KaM village screenshot layer below, it will help you to control the palette/coloring.

On a side note - one of the things that makes design interesting - combinations of materials.
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

Piko

Warrior

Post 16 Jul 2012, 08:18

Most of your ideas consist of ripping off already drawen pieces in the game and pasting them as a new concept, I suggest you draw some original art.
That I meant while writing "And try to made something, what aren't part of other buildings." :P
ImageImage
<<

Piko

Warrior

Post 16 Jul 2012, 10:00

I have an idea for a new unit!:

Robber/Bandit
This unit would have attack and defence like militia, but it can steal wares from buildings! This unit wouldn't have charge, this button will be for stealing. After click on this button left-click, you set building to steal. After right-click on this button, you set wares to steal (if nothing is determined, or in building there aren't determined wares, units take the most expensive ware in building). Horses cannot be stealed. Each unit can transport one ware. After right-clicking on "steal button" it'll be also possible to see which wares units transport.

Unit with ware should have other animations than units without:

With:
Without:

This units won't can be trained, so it'll be possible to use them only if will be placed on map at start.

What do You think about this idea? (Yes, I know this sprites don't look very good on animation (maybe will look better in game), it will be good if someone better than me will do it, or just give me a tip how to make it better.)
ImageImage

Return to “Other Creations”