Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Multiplayer mutators

<<

Bo_

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 22 Aug 2012, 18:35

Re: Multiplayer mutators

We could add sliders to change thousands of values within the game, how fast bowmen reload, how many stones are mined, how fast hit points restore, how fast buildings are destroyed, how many hit points each stone/timber gives a building, how many pigs can fit in a swine farm at once, how much corn horses take to reach maturity, how steep terrain is before you can't build on it, how far the fisherman will walk to the water, how much you lose when you trade at the market, etc. etc.

But at the end of the day, we want to produce one game, with a consistent feeling to it. How can you become a pro player with infinity many game modes? I really think that "less is more". The things that we leave out of the game are more important than the things we add to the game. A few multiplayer mutators that enable/disable aspects of the game like iron, archers, market, etc. sound great. Even stuff like infinite resources, no hunger, etc., once again that's really just enabling/disabling a gameplay feature. As long as we don't have too many mutators I think it would be ok. But sliders for every little value and difficulty settings will just make the game feel inconsistent and over complicated in my opinion.
Totaly agree.
That's what I ment when PAKER said why not? ;)
Kick fast, think Bo.
<<

xROELOFx

Farmer

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 23 Aug 2012, 07:42

like i said, they are just rough ideas. i don't really mean for them all to be implemented, they're just written to maybe trigger a brainstorm of better ideas. and well, perhaps if everyone likes one of those ideas, it could be implemented...

anyways, i still do like the option of a normal/hard/expert game mode. i've played some more MP the last couple of days and what i notice is that in most games new players usually don't have a large base or many troops (if they even have any). they are still trying to figure out what is really usefull in MP and how to setup a good chain of production. whereas more experienced players already know this and have lots of crossbows wich will take out the other player with ease.

so for those beginning players, it would be nice if they could play in a lobby with more easy difficulty settings so they don't have to worry a lot about producing tonnes of food from the start. and can concentrate more on building a good base. for the more experienced players, this would be too easy and boring. i expect them to select the hard or expert game modes for more of a challenge.

i was once in a lobby where they asked for your skill level, just to make sure they only had players with experience in the game. the game was pretty good, with everyone having decent amount of warriors and good bases. so it was a real challenge. i did lose that game, but that's okay. i'd rather lose 8 of 10 games, then win everyone of them because the enemy does not present any danger. (H)

what do you guys think about this and have you experienced the same?

by the way, i totally agree with "less is more" :wink:
<<

Remake 2012

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 27 Aug 2012, 20:04

I have a another proposal to mutators:
Soldiers with 1 hp. ( 1 hit = die)
<<

Da Revolution

Knight

Post 27 Aug 2012, 20:24

Soldiers with 1 hp wont be fun i think.
"No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path" - Buddha
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 29 Aug 2012, 09:19

Mutators - i like it !
I think it could be to add such improvements as:

- speed game x1.5
- towers limit ( f.e. 1,3,5,7,10,15)
- (ranged units) to 1.5x greater range
p

This idea with tower is really nice :mrgreen: but one question to the developers, do you think that increasing the whole game speed x1.5 would be possible.

+"Blocking all iron production (including trading)"
+Enable/Disable catapults/balists (if it will be implement) :P
I think there could be new technical problems, if e.g. there is one player in Australia and one player in Europe and player 2 has a really slow and old PC. The computer must calculate all things x1,5 (what in singleplayer is o.k.) and than synchronize with the other computer, so MAYBE you will longer "wait for player ..." than you can play :D
What do you think about that thing?

One other short question, because it´s longer time ago, the economy mode(winner is, who have at first 20 wood), is that still possible to make and you maybe will make it?

pawel95
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

Post 29 Aug 2012, 10:36

KaM is running smooth in new demo, so there should be no "slowPC" issues :)
Increasing game speed is possible, but we have not agreed on that, if it fits the game.

We have discussed economy mode and the biggest problem with it is that it is not competitive. You just cant see enemy and compare your progress with him. You can't affect the situation either, cos building army would require too much of valuable resources.
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

Post 29 Aug 2012, 10:56

We have discussed economy mode and the biggest problem with it is that it is not competitive.
Of course it's competitive.. It already is.. :?
<<

Bo_

Knight

Post 29 Aug 2012, 11:01

Look at the stats: Most buildings, most goods produced.. :)

Maybe add a valor calculation? For the amount of goods, valuated in Gold chests or something. (Like the calculation in the market.)
Kick fast, think Bo.
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

Post 29 Aug 2012, 12:46

Goods produced now are a side-effect of military actions. If we add economy goals, I bet there's some stupid strategy of building 10 quaries and 20 wineyards thats gonna bring you fastest resource flow. Thats it - no competition. It would only make sense to compete at resources that are directly related to army (e.g. handaxes), even then, you could just spam 10 sawmills and 10 workshops without caring about anything else. I don't find it interesting to play.
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

Siegfried

Knight

Post 29 Aug 2012, 13:17

Wait, the economy mode needs its own maps. That means maps where you are limited to build your city or maps where you have to carefully spend your stone or maps where arable land is scarce. You can't just take the existing maps with plenty or resources and an abundance of building space and then count the total number of resources.

Take a look the the newest settlers, they have a mode where you need to gain 'stars'. Let's say, as soon as the first player has at least 50 units of one resource (for example stone), the star is awarded. And the star goes to the person with the most stone. So if player B manages gain more stone than player A, the star goes to player B. You can't see the enemy town, but you see if he has passed you with the production of one unit. If you want, you can show your current difference to the leader, so you know where to focus.
As soon as one player has achieved 8 or 10 stars or so, he wins the match. So it's not only a rallye for wine and stone, but you need at least 6 or more other resources. And, well, if the enemy comes with a single militia he can severely damage your city if you have no defense.
<<

xROELOFx

Farmer

Post 29 Aug 2012, 15:05

what about an economy mode without the ability to create a barracks? this way you can reveal the positions of the enemy players to see their progress and you can still set goals for having x amount of weapons or other goods.
<<

Remake 2012

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 01 Sep 2012, 10:06

Guys: a smal ideal to mutators:

mutators "TPR + "
In the game:
Barrack:
add Rogue, Vagabond, Rebel

or
add Town Hall
And given the opportunity to recruit only those units (Rogue, Vagabond, Rebel)

Rogue:
1 recruit
1 bow

Vagabond:
1 ax
1 horse
1 recruit

Rebel
1 lance
1 recruit
(Lance Carrier weaker version because there is no armor)

This will make the fights on the maps will be more interesting.
which gives us yet?
This allows you to train units that will replace the units with the armor. This will allow you to build a village with vineyards and fish, with no farm! That is something completely new in the remake. One new building JUHU :)

Remake Team.... why not ?
<<

Bo_

Knight

Post 01 Sep 2012, 13:03

Well why not, it's an idea for a mutator, but where is the complexe economy of kam? :(
Kick fast, think Bo.
<<

Private.NL

Axe Fighter

Post 01 Sep 2012, 16:47

i read the topic on wool, so why not, a mutator for wool?
Always look on the bright side of KaM! :D
<<

Da Revolution

Knight

Post 01 Sep 2012, 17:09

Keep reading private and you'll find out.
"No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path" - Buddha

Return to “Ideas / Suggestions”