Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Differences between the remake and the steam version.

<<

Fair-D

Peasant

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 12 Nov 2018, 08:15

Differences between the remake and the steam version.

Hello

I'm Fair-D
I'm looking to get into the KAM community and to learn how to play competitively.
So i guess it's nice to meet you guys. If you would be so kind to teach me how to destroy your village that would be awesome :P:P:P
Of course if you decide to show me by example when you completely wreck my shit the first 50 games that's fine.

In order to learn and progress my understanding of the game i decided to practice the game in the TSK campaign.
I find it hard to not accidentally exploit the weakness of the AI or other game mechanics.

I challenge myself every level that i will build for 60 minutes (which represents peacetime).
And then i try to beat the level with whatever army i have.

I've watched shout casts from Ben and To and some tutorials from Dicsoupcan.

I find it extremely difficult to get a decent army in 60 minutes.
So i wonder, am I really this bad at the game?
Or could it perhaps have to do with differences between the remake and the steam version?

Here is what i know/think is different:

- Unlock order:
I think it is a huge time save to be able to build the Inn later and start with a woodcutter planting trees so that you can have the sawmill and quarries build when you need them.
However, when I calculate how much time it saves I'm still a bit late with my first metallurgist/farm.

- Starvation:
I'm not sure on this one, but i just can't seem to produce enough food. Even when i'm building really small and going leather only (5 farms, 3 piggies). With only about 40-50 serfs and 20 laborers.
I'm somewhat forced to build another farm for a baker or some vineyards but I simply don't have the time or resources to spare.
Has consumption habits or food production been changed in the remake? How do you guys dance on the edge of starvation like that?

- Combat:
In the single player campaign I'm a bit distracted by combat in the opening minutes. Even though my school is running and my laborers keep working i can't really micro. This should be different in real multiplayer.
At the end of an initial fight i usually have a a pretty decent amount of troops to spare. If i'm not trying to build a PT army then feeding these units would be no problem.
However, do you think it's better to sacrifice these units and focus on building? or should i feed them and include them in my PT army (as if I made them).
To me, feeding them seems wasteful because it greatly slows down construction. Not to mention the difficulties i have fighting starvation.

So far I haven't been able to get decent armies in 60 minutes time with one exception.
I did manage to build about 30-40 axe fighters and 30-40 crossbowmen. But that was only once.

Well, thanks for reading all of this stuff. I'm looking forward to your answers and to play the remake with each other in the near future.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 12 Nov 2018, 23:14

Re: Differences between the remake and the steam version.

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for the nice post.

KaM Remake has a strange online community. The experts all play with a 60 minute peacetime. In most games, the experts don't use a treaty length, but KaM is different. If you really want to practice for online play, you will have to play multiplayer games yourself (just start a lobby with you only). Campaign maps play out very differently than the multiplayer maps and you need to focus 100% on your building if you want to improve. Sure, it's disappointing not being able to play after you finish your city, but you will improve very fast if you sit down practice building once every night.

Most players do make bakers, unless there is a lot of fish on the map. Also, if you are playing singleplayer, you are probably feeding your troops. Players online almost never feed soldiers. They don't live long enough to become hungry.

Don't even think about combat against AI as being a replacement for humans. It's totally different.

It isn't easy to give you specific advice without seeing your gameplay, but I can tell you that even average players online (at least on Teamspeak) create 55-70 quality troops (depending on number of horses and other quality factors) in 60 minutes. Once you can create 30 bowmen and 30 swordsmen on a variety of locations each game consistently, that is the minimum to be play online, but you should be targeting for about 30-40 bowmen, 20-25 swordsmen, and 5-10 knights.

Oh, and remember, everyone messes up sometimes. It's just a game. Have fun and don't mind the abrasive atmosphere of competitive players ;)
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

thunder

Moorbach's Guard

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 13 Nov 2018, 14:14

Always nice to read such a comparisons.

I find it extremely difficult to get a decent army in 60 minutes.
No worry. Every body has games which called 'fu..ed up'. 60minutes and 10 swordmans etc...The skill is that winning with that 10swords :P
Don't even think about combat against AI as being a replacement for humans. It's totally different.
I've never seen an 'expert' player to beat the new AI in9700++. :mrgreen: Will it be achallange to cmowla? :P Anyway is that possible?
It isn't easy to give you specific advice without seeing your gameplay, but I can tell you that even average players online (at least on Teamspeak) create 55-70 quality troops (depending on number of horses and other quality factors) in 60 minutes. Once you can create 30 bowmen and 30 swordsmen on a variety of locations each game consistently, that is the minimum to be play online, but you should be targeting for about 30-40 bowmen, 20-25 swordsmen, and 5-10 knights.
I would even say the openeing order, the starting food in the storehouse, the resource distances, starting number of the labourers all of these have effect on the PT armies. I'm not sure if you though on these when wrote the ' quality factors' :wink: Maybe map quality factor.Forgive me.
<<

cmowla

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Expert

Post 13 Nov 2018, 15:17

I've never seen an 'expert' player to beat the new AI in9700++. :mrgreen: Will it be a challange to cmowla? :P Anyway is that possible?
Is the latest version here? If so, has town efficiency been modified as well? (I STILL have not worked on my master-building spreadsheet, so I'm wondering if I have to "re calibrate" it for the new version when I do.)

And I assume that you're kidding about the AI being unbeatible to tease me, but I have more interest in the economy aspect of the game at the moment. :mrgreen:

(@Ben, I uninstalled Age of Empires 2 steam...I was playing 3 vs 4 on hardest and would win 80% of the time, but my Mongolian Feudal rush strategy was too boring to continuously execute...felt like the card game "solitaire".)
Invasion won: with 0 losses and without save reloads|TSK 20 in 4.47 minutes|Border of Life Co-op Won in 1h33m55s|The Official KaM Speedrun Page
What makes me an Expert isn't my skill in of itself but my desire to win big.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 13 Nov 2018, 15:37

And I assume that you're kidding about the AI being unbeatible to tease me, but I have more interest in the economy aspect of the game at the moment. :mrgreen:
I'm still waiting on you to play multiplayer. We need out-of-the-box thinkers like you to bring new life to the game. If you are focusing on economy, what better time to try it out?
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

cmowla

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Expert

Post 13 Nov 2018, 15:46

I'm still waiting on you to play multiplayer. We need out-of-the-box thinkers like you to bring new life to the game. If you are focusing on economy, what better time to try it out?
I am trying to change my mentality towards MP, but I still haven't managed to do so yet. The economy aspect of the game is like a puzzle to me, as it is "static" rather than "dynamic" like MP. As you probably remember, I like finding math formulas to the Rubik's cube, which is a static object.

I would say more, but in short, I'm not interested at the moment.
Invasion won: with 0 losses and without save reloads|TSK 20 in 4.47 minutes|Border of Life Co-op Won in 1h33m55s|The Official KaM Speedrun Page
What makes me an Expert isn't my skill in of itself but my desire to win big.

Return to “Strategy Central”