Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Original Kam Multiplayer

<<

tonc5

Blacksmith

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 11 Oct 2018, 04:32

Original Kam Multiplayer

Hey. I was wondering if the multiplayer for the original Knights and merchants (as in the TPR/TSK and not the remake) still works. Or if its ever worked. And if it did work but no longer works, when did it stop working. And also what was it like? Was it bad, like out of sync? Or was it unstable and frequently crashed? Just a thing about the old TSK/TPR that I wonder. Lastly When I click multiplayer i get this option to connect to "net games" but when i click it it just says connecting to server, the shortly after it says connection failed. Whats this about?
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

Post 11 Oct 2018, 07:31

Re: Original Kam Multiplayer

It is possible to play original KaM multiplayer, because I've done it in the past. But the chances of finishing a game were not very high, due to the game getting out of sync or just general connection errors.
This was TSK though, I've never played original TPR.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 11 Oct 2018, 12:23

You definitely won't find any servers for TSK/TPR anymore. It's just a guess, but I believe that Net Games was probably a site used to host multiplayer servers for the original game, which would have long since shut down.

I played a bit of multiplayer on both TSK and TPR. TSK was much better: More balanced than TPR and connection on LAN seemed quite stable. I think I only ever had one game crash/drop. The game was simply bad though. Archers could shoot farther if facing the north than they would if facing south. In single player this was not a big deal, but playing against humans it was just a pain.

TPR was far worse. The game was already plagued with bugs and crashes, and this frustrating extended to multiplayer. The game would erratically go out-of-synch. Some packets would send while others wouldn't, resulting in very unexpected results. For example, you might not see a farm I built on 15 minutes, but you could see a iron smelter I made at 18 minutes.
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Black

Warrior

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 11 Oct 2018, 13:39

Never found a server with Net games, but TSK works in multiplayer LAN. Tough it was buggy, it was also the only way to play with friends and we had some good games.

But i also remember some awful sync bugs.
One time i rembember, I was playing with my brother and we were in the same room, same table(good old times sigh). After a short time, a militia battle began. I am winning very easily so i look at my brother, but he has a huge smile printed on his face. I actually don't undestand why but i continue playing. I destroy his buildings one by one(a little bit sadistic :P) but he doesn't change his facial expression. So i say: <<Well, I think the game is end >>. And he answered: <<Yeah, you don't seem to know how to play this game bro>>. And then we realized :lol:
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 11 Oct 2018, 14:42

But i also remember some awful sync bugs.
One time i rembember, I was playing with my brother and we were in the same room, same table(good old times sigh). After a short time, a militia battle began. I am winning very easily so i look at my brother, but he has a huge smile printed on his face. I actually don't undestand why but i continue playing. I destroy his buildings one by one(a little bit sadistic :P) but he doesn't change his facial expression. So i say: <<Well, I think the game is end >>. And he answered: <<Yeah, you don't seem to know how to play this game bro>>. And then we realized :lol:
I had a very similar experience the first time I played multiplayer on TPR. Like very similar! :lol: Thankfully, the Remake was making very good progress by that point so I just had to wait 1-2 years for the multiplayer demo.
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

kHanM

Peasant

Post 07 Apr 2020, 09:53

Hi everyone,

I just bought KAM TPR after "15 years of piece" since I last time played it. So _GREAT_ game.

I also downloaded the TSK demo and would like to play it in LAN with my nephew. It works when I connect two PCs by a CAT-cable.
But it doesen't work through a router.

I have both PCs connected to router by CAT-cables and the router has DHCP enabled. Router is Huawei B715s.
Both PCs' firewalls allow the KAM in personal networks and the network is set to personal.
Both PCs ping each other.
I also tried to drop the firewall down but no go.

So I create a TCP/IP game by PC 1 and try to enter it by PC 2. PC 2 never finds the game.
Any ideas? I can use Teams, Zoom or Skype if there's anyone who could assist us :)

Thanks!

Return to “General Talk”