Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

You cant kill Units, How about retraining them?

<<

Esthlos

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 05 Feb 2018, 11:43

Re: You cant kill Units, How about retraining them?

Could you make it as a plain png file, without background? Similar to other buttons (could be found in GUI.rx after export from F11 menu).

Also it would be nice to have new thought cloud above retiring unit head. f.e. it could be bag on a stick, similar as it is on your button image.
Examples of thoughts are in Units.rx, from 3_6251.png to 3_6314.png
Is this good?

Preview (as gif):
Cloud.gif
Files:
Retire.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just when you think you know something, you have to look at it in another way, even though it may seem silly or wrong. You must try! - John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"
<<

Rey

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 05 Feb 2018, 12:18

Is this good?
Thx, not bad for the start, but it could be better ;)

I added them into the game, small video: https://puu.sh/zh6I6/1c33afffa4.mp4

1. Its hard to recognize bag, its too small. Let's try to make it a bit bigger.
2. There is white rectangular around bag+stick. It should not be that big, mainly white background should be next to bad+stick image border, same as for other thoughts images.
Last edited by Rey on 05 Feb 2018, 13:52, edited 2 times in total.
<<

HellFriend

Recruit

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 05 Feb 2018, 12:37

Yeah thats look cool and practical :) good work all
<<

Esthlos

Knight

Post 05 Feb 2018, 13:26

2. There is white rectangular around bag+stick. It should not be not that big, mainly white background should be next to bad+stick image border, same as for other thoughts images.
I knew I had forgotten something! XD
Cloud2.gif
Retire2.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just when you think you know something, you have to look at it in another way, even though it may seem silly or wrong. You must try! - John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"
<<

Rey

KaM Remake Developer

Post 05 Feb 2018, 14:10

I knew I had forgotten something! XD
That's much better now, thank you!

https://puu.sh/zh9Az/e90a381d48.mp4

But the Dismiss button is too big IMO. What do you think?

I suggest to use small button, similar to house gui buttons (repair/open/close etc) and put to the left from the condition bar, or to the left of the Task label ("Delivering" on the screenshot)
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 05 Feb 2018, 23:35

It looks odd for sure. The location and design of the button just don't work as presented here. A smaller button under the condition bar might work. I'm also going to nitpick and say that you forgot the period after the second sentence: "He will go to the school and leave your town forever"

Also, the serf's right arm looks strange. It's very skinny; just doesn't match his other arm.
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Esthlos

Knight

Post 05 Feb 2018, 23:48

It looks odd for sure. The location and design of the button just don't work as presented here. A smaller button under the condition bar might work.
Yeah, I don't like it either actually... tried moving it around, can't find a location that looks good.

What about making the portrait clickable instead?
KaM_Retired.png
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 05 Feb 2018, 23:49

What's supposed to be happening in that image? I only see a missing part of the portrait.
<<

Esthlos

Knight

Post 05 Feb 2018, 23:52

What's supposed to be happening in that image? I only see a missing part of the portrait.
It's... folded? Rolled? Can't remember the word; the parchment is closed on itself.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 06 Feb 2018, 00:59

But why? What is the purpose of hiding the scroll?
<<

Esthlos

Knight

Post 06 Feb 2018, 07:59

So that the scroll can be the "retire" button: you click on it, the portrait closes and the unit walks to the School.
You click on it again, the portrait re-opens and the retire order is cancelled.

EDIT:
I suggest to use small button, similar to house gui buttons (repair/open/close etc) and put to the left from the condition bar, or to the left of the Task label ("Delivering" on the screenshot)
Alternatively, maybe a button similarly-sized as the Build/Delivery/Stats/Options, to put below either Build or Options?
It wouldn't be very clear that it refers to the selected civilian, but it would look less clunky imo.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 06 Feb 2018, 15:04

So that the scroll can be the "retire" button: you click on it, the portrait closes and the unit walks to the School.
You click on it again, the portrait re-opens and the retire order is cancelled.
Ahh that's what you mean. It makes sense now. Still, I don't prefer this. It's not exactly clear why closing the portrait would retire a citizen.
<<

Rey

KaM Remake Developer

Post 07 Feb 2018, 12:25

Closing scroll is an interesting idea, but its not that obvious and its a new GUI "mechanic" in KMR, so I prefer something else.

Except something to activate dismiss action, we also need something to cancel it. Not sure if we need confirmation dialog then. May be ability to cancel the task is enought.

@Krom suggested to use simple checkbox, probably below condition bar or below task label.
Another option could be an house-style small button with an icon, icon max size is 28x28 then.

I prefer the second variant, as checkbox is usually used for some kind of state/option, not to activate some important action. But we will need a good bright icon there then on a small canvas size.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 07 Feb 2018, 21:17

Another option could be an house-style small button with an icon, icon max size is 28x28 then.
I agree that this is the best of all proposed methods so far. I think it will fit in with the rest of the GUI theme.
<<

cdfbr

Farmer

Post 10 Feb 2018, 03:23

Rather then Retire, how about draft?

Send the People to the castle to take up arms to defend the king! No time for rest, we are at war!

Drafting them turns them either into recruits, Or make it so that it spawns a Peasant with a Pitchfork.

If the map setting is that you are on a Island, Surrounded with no where to go. Retire wont work. But Drafting would. At least for the Role Playing Value.

Return to “Ideas / Suggestions”