Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Unit Adjustments

<<

eddieballgame

Peasant

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 08 Mar 2015, 12:00

Unit Adjustments

Recently discovered this gem of a game. I am enjoying learning how to navigate through the , very well done, economic system.
With all the work/detail put into this aspect of the game I was, however, a little disappointed in the Unit stat assignments. Of course, my lack of experience & understanding of this area is certainly to be considered. Anyways, I decided ( for my own pleasure ) to make some crude adjustments, based on info I have garnered from these pages as well as my gut feeling.
Using the "Object Editor" ( which btw worked for all Units except the Crossbowman, Lancer, & Rebel ) I was able to adjust the Units to fit may tastes. I wanted more of a reason to build a certain Unit than just graphics & name. Here are my modifications: number in parenthesis is the adjusted # ... NOT THE SPECIAL ABILITY, HOWEVER, JUST THE INDIDVUAL STATS

UNITS STRENGTH -- STR ( PIKES ) -- LIFES -- SPEED ------ DEFENSE -- VIEW RADIUS ------- SPECIAL ABILITY
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Militia 35 0 3 24 (26) 1 9 Charge Attack ( speed x 2 )

Axe Fighter 35 0 3 24 2 9 Charge Attack ( speed x 2 )

Sword Fighter 55 0 3 24 (22) 3 9 (8) Charge Attack ( speed x 2 )

Barbarian 75 (80) 0 4 (3) 24 2 9 Charge Attack ( speed x 2 )

Warrior 75 0 4 24 (22) 2 (3) 9 (8) Charge Attack ( speed x 2 )

Bowman 60 0 1 24 2 9 Ranged

Crossbowman 120 0 1 24 3 9 Ranged

Rouge 60 0 1 24 1 9 Ranged

Lance Carrier 25 55 3 24 2 9 Spearman ( att + 2 vs Cavalry )

Pikeman 35 80 3 24 (22) 3 9 (8) Spearman ( att + 2 vs Cavalry )

Rebel unknown statistics, however...very cheap---"pitch fork" guys. :) Spearman ( att + 2 vs Cavalry )
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HORSE UNITS:
------------

Scout 35 (30) 0 4 39 (42) 2 9 (10) Mounted

Knight 55 0 4 39 (36) 3 (4) 9 (8) Mounted

Vegabond 40 0 4 39 1 9 Mounted
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by eddieballgame on 08 Mar 2015, 20:53, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

Post 08 Mar 2015, 14:51

Re: Unit Adjustments

Could you please outline the changes you did and the reasoning? Thanks :-)
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

eddieballgame

Peasant

Post 08 Mar 2015, 20:50

Primarily, my reasons for making some adjustments were simply for "flavor". For example, the heavier armored units were made a bit slower as well as having their
vision cut down by 1 due to wearing helmets. Though I could not adjust the Crossbowman, a minor annoyance. :) Some Units increased in speed...lightly weighted weapons & such. Making the Scout a little faster, slightly less stronger with more vision seemed ok to me. Mainly these tweaks were to make the Units more variant vs each other. Admittedly, none of these changes were necessary but, for me, added a tiny bit more to an already excellent game.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 08 Mar 2015, 22:56

If you make such large changes between leather and iron units, then they shouldn't even be able to group together.

Also, I disagree on you saying (paraphrase) "there is no reason to build a different unit other then change of graphics and voice name" there are plenty of differences between the units. Not sure what you meant by that?
Last edited by Ben on 13 Sep 2021, 14:08, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: fixed quote
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

eddieballgame

Peasant

Post 09 Mar 2015, 03:22

Not aware of any voice changes...:). However, there are more similarities to many of the Units than not, as per the Object Editor. Again, just sharing an opinion.
<<

Uncle Al

Serf

Post 25 Sep 2017, 02:37

WHERE do I find the file to adjust??? I have a few scenarios I simply cannot get going, as I am wiped out in the first attack. The reduction in the strength of the archers has made it impossible for me ( I emphasize for ME) to get past the initial attack. Needless to say, this is making my fun little game anything BUT fun. Please help??

Appreciatively,
Al
<<

Esthlos

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 25 Sep 2017, 07:20

The file is "KaM Remake/data/defines/unit.dat".
(imho it would be easier and less problematic to just edit the map in the map editor though... if you change that file, you may not be able to play multiplayer for example)

But, as already written here, I'd suggest trying to overcome the challenge first. :)
Just when you think you know something, you have to look at it in another way, even though it may seem silly or wrong. You must try! - John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

Post 26 Sep 2017, 04:27

Units info is in "KaM Remake/data/defines/unit.dat". IIrc there were some editors for it from the old TSK times ..

Sidenote: To beat those 2 missions you can resort to editing the missions themselves, by placing more starting archers.
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de

Return to “Ideas / Suggestions”