Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Updating KaM Remake r6720?

<<

himgil

Peasant

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 07 Sep 2017, 10:31

Updating KaM Remake r6720?

There are tons of commits merged to the main project since the last KaM Remake release: https://github.com/Kromster80/kam_remak ... -07&type=c

Is there any plan to release a beta version so that we can test the new commits? The official wiki provides a guide for how to compile the project yourself, but it does not look like something I can manage - for the curious: https://github.com/Kromster80/kam_remak ... ompilation

Cheers.
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 07 Sep 2017, 18:15

Re: Updating KaM Remake r6720?

Those merges are mostly minor. There are no really big feature changes yet. Although I'm sure Rey will soon start bringing bigger improvements and changes into the game :-)
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

Rey

KaM Remake Developer

Post 08 Sep 2017, 10:07

Yes, most of improvements are not about game play. But about game convenience - hotkeys / UI / controls / game menu. Also some new feaures for map editor and scripts were added. Also performance improvements have done - for game FPS and network communication.

Btw, we agreed with Krom and Lewin, that I am going to continue KaM Remake development on my own, as they can't contribute for it for now.
I am going to develop the game in the same fashion, so no crazy things are going to appear - that was the reasonale condition to support game 'officially', to avoid any separation into 2 games, smth like KaM Remake and KaM Remastered.

Anyway I think its worth considering to add most requestable features, such as Townhall, at least make it scriptable.

So developing will continue in my own repository, which was forked from Krom's repository.
Full list of changes you can find in buglist

About beta tests: I am going to arrange to upload week build's somewhere, may be on kamremake.com or other location, so everybody will be able to participate in beta-testing.
Even if no major things are ready yet, bug-reports about small features will be helpful too.
Last edited by Rey on 09 Sep 2017, 10:53, edited 2 times in total.
<<

thunder

Moorbach's Guard

Post 08 Sep 2017, 13:37

Yes, most of improvements are not about game play. But about game convience - hotkeys / UI / controls / game menu. Also some new feaures for map editor and scripts were added. Also performance improvements were done - for game FPS and network communication.

Btw, we agreed with Krom and Lewin, that I am going to continue KaM Remake development on my own, as they can't contribute for it for now.
I am going to develop the game in the same fashion, so no crazy things are going to appear - that was the reasonale condition to support game 'officially', to avoid any separation into 2 games, smth like KaM Remake and KaM Remastered.

Anyway I think its worth considering to add most requestable features, such as Townhall, at least make it scriptable.

So developing will continue in my own repository, which was forked from Krom's repository.
Full list of changes you can find in buglist

About beta tests: I am going to arrange to upload week build's somewhere, may be on kamremake.com or other location, so everybody will be able to participate in beta-testing.
Even if no major things are ready yet, bug-reports about small features will be helpful too.
Well, what you presented for us as a beta-beta game was cool. Alreaady optimalizated lot on the erformance. Next time I will test it on my wooden PC too;) :mrgreen:
Thank you for picked up this good passion;)
And yes! That would be acceptable if the monster building units would be avaiable with only dynamic scripts.
So if somebody would need them then could use them on own way.
:wink:

Keep it up and you know where can find noob players for testing! :D
<<

sado1

Council Member

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 09 Sep 2017, 08:29

Nice to see this decision, and I think it's for the best. Seeing Krom and Lewin have no time for Remake lately, it would be sad to see this game die out. I'm excited already for upcoming improvements, especially the network code update allowing for more players - it worked fine in the test, I guess now we need more 12p maps than two :P
<<

TheodorKarlsruhe

Blacksmith

Post 11 Sep 2017, 01:22

It would be fascinating with 12 p!
No pains, no gains
<<

woloszek

Sword Fighter

Post 11 Sep 2017, 19:51

Rey is possible add 2 AI's more to SP? Will be cool. Keep up good working! :D
<<

cmowla

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Expert

Post 11 Sep 2017, 20:16

Rey is possible add 2 AI's more to SP? Will be cool. Keep up good working! :D
I was just thinking about if there were more AI players (like, if map makers could use triple the amount than they can now), then mapmakers could give players like me more of a challenge without too much more of an effort on their part because it would make "abuse" much more difficult to do, even if the current AI design was not changed at all.

In addition, I remember Esthlos did some magic scripting in the past (maybe it was with TSK 08) where he broke an AI player's army into single leaders. Combine that with a lot of AI players, and you may just put a stop to my "madness". :D

Consider my 4.5 minute TSK 20 win in r6720 (linked to in my signature). Since I was playing sometimes at 1/15 of normal game speed (if I could have gone slower than that, I would have, but it would break the replay if I did, so I stuck mostly to 1/9 normal game speed to minimize replay breaks and only went down to 1/15 --but no slower--at the most needed times only), my army (as I mentioned in this post) was pretty much like how an AI could (in theory) control an army. I.e., watch one minute of the replay starting from this point of my video coverage of that win if you haven't seen it already.

Or how about the following:

If there was a different AI player controlling every group, then this would effectively transform any AI's army into "single groups", where only one group of soldiers would be triggered by decoys at a time and perhaps there could simply be a script which tells all AI players within a certain window frame size to respond to stimuli, should a human player attempt to cross a certain tile, or the like...
VS
Having to script what Esthlos did as to make an army actually split into single leaders (which could tax the CPU).

EDIT:

Perhaps it can be programmed that an single AI barracks can train a troop for different players. (Maybe by technically putting multiple barracks at the same exact location on the map "in code" but not in "game mode".)
Invasion won: with 0 losses and without save reloads|TSK 20 in 4.47 minutes|Border of Life Co-op Won in 1h33m55s|The Official KaM Speedrun Page
What makes me an Expert isn't my skill in of itself but my desire to win big.
<<

Thomas

Militia

Post 23 Feb 2018, 10:01

Hi,

I just recently found out that Rey is developing in his own repository instead of Krom's main repository. As I could not find any download link for the latest beta testing version, could someone give me a clue where to find it?

PS: Big thumbs up to see that KaM is still being impoved :D (!)
<<

sado1

Council Member

Post 23 Feb 2018, 12:00

The current testing version link is always on the Discord: discord.gg/S6zmbeE on the new versions channel. The current code repository is https://github.com/reyandme (which you probably have found already).
<<

Thomas

Militia

Post 23 Feb 2018, 16:18

Thanks, exactly what I was searching for :D

Return to “General / Questions”