Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

[ideas/brainstorm] KaM Nations Cup

<<

sado1

Council Member

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 18 Feb 2017, 10:35

[ideas/brainstorm] KaM Nations Cup

Recent tournaments were disastrous. The last tournament, led by Russian guys half a year ago, despite very good organization, had failed miserably. Always the same problem - teams can't be forced to play their games in time. Based on the fact that this was yet another tournament that failed in some way because of that, I came to a conclusion that we need a very drastic change in the way we organize tournaments. We need something that will be both very interesting to the players involved, and to the KaM community. Also, we need a tournament which will not have a problem with not having enough players in each team, every time a game needs to be played.

I'd like to show you my tournament idea. This is a rough sketch of the most important rules. I need opinions on this, so please post everything that comes to your mind.

KaM Nations Cup/KaM World Games/KaM International Championship/... - the basic idea: international KaM tournament.
1. The tournament will be a bit different than usual, because it will be 100% subjective when it comes to the choice of the teams and players for them; some worse players won't play, since most likely, the captains will want players with the best skill level possible
2. Every nation will get a captain, which will be chosen by the tournament organizers.
3. Captains pick players for every single game - as long as someone is Polish, the Polish Team Captain is free to choose him, etc.
4. The tournament will have 1-3 groups, depending on what people want the most, and how many teams we can have (for example, 3 groups, 3 teams each). Later, some sort of elimination phase will ensue - most likely semifinals.
5. Drawing will have "pots", similar to one of my previous tournaments - so we will try to make sure we won't get a "group of death" with unlucky drawing
6. Obviously, this will be a very TS community driven tournament, most of the players chosen by captains will be from there.

Why is this a brillant idea? The "national teams" will completely eliminate the plague that haunted all the previous tournaments: the problem with arranging a date for 4+ players from both teams at the same time. This way, team Poland vs team Holland can simply arrange when to play, and if they have enough players on a good enough level (and there's plenty of high-skilled players per country, more than 4 for sure) then they can play. If players have doubts, or we have a lot of small country teams with 3-5 players, the tournament can stay 3v3, but I believe it's really worth trying 4v4 and it will likely work. Also, this is the only chance EVER, that a real 4v4 KaM tournament could work, because with normal, player-picked teams, it'd be impossible to get 8 players play at the same time...

Predicted list of teams, with pots: (pots are subject to change)
1. Poland, Russia, Netherlands
2. Hungary, Rest of Europe, America (USA, Chile, Argentina, Brazil?) or simply Rest of the World instead
3. Germany (sorry! I forgot :D) Czech Republic, China, Brazil, etc.
Pot 3 includes teams which for some reasons I cannot be sure if will be able to play. China needs to have a stable way to play with Europeans, to even be able to compete. Czech Republic has a lot of players, but recently, none on TeamSpeak (historically Czechs were very strong though, and some people tend to come back when they see a tournament...) There's quite some Brazilians, but they never were very interested in playing TS games, so I wouldn't even know who to appoint as a captain. European Countries with a small number (~2-4) of known TS players: Slovenia, Ukraine, Belarus, Slovakia. They will probably be appointed to Rest of Europe team, unless they are able to get 5-6 players on their own.

The minimal number of teams I want is 6. If someone wants to create a team for some another country, no matter its skill, and can prove he has enough known players for it somehow, then I don't see a problem. That being said, I doubt any other country will have enough known and reliable players - I don't really want to give a team to a bunch of unknown randoms (or TS fakes... that happened in the past :P) and later see none of their games were played.

Answering the sticky topic questions in one sentence: Building 4v4 60PT x1-1,5, maps chosen like in one of the previous tours, the map for the final game might be chosen by the organizers in advance though; more rules, maps, and deadlines to be determined. No prize most likely, because we'd have about 3*4=12 players to get the prizes, and nobody is going to pay enough money for so many people.

One last thing. Due to the fact that some players have double nationalities, or live in another country being able to speak that language, I assume we can be quite liberal about nationalities, it needs to be decided how much. Siem should be able to choose between Belgium and Netherlands, Centurion should be able to play for Poland or Ukraine/RoE and Boby for Poland/Czech Republic/RoE... etc. One rule, though: once you choose, it's a final choice - no changing teams during the tournament!

Good luck to myself :D Let me know what you think!
Last edited by sado1 on 18 Feb 2017, 21:43, edited 1 time in total.
<<

thunder

Moorbach's Guard

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 18 Feb 2017, 14:51

Re: [ideas/brainstorm] KaM Nations Cup

Hm, nice idea. Need more advertisements for the game.

Personaly I would prefer one day tournaments, where the games start around 9-10o'clock and the last game would be around 17:00. So then everyteams and players would start their matches in the same time and only the winners would have to stay to next rounds. This system is working well at some amateur sport events.
OneDay tours.
<<

equalizer

Vagabond

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 18 Feb 2017, 16:57

I need opinions on this, so please post everything that comes to your mind.
First thing I am thinking of is: How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? A Woodchuck would chuck as much wood as a woodchuck could chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Nice idea Sado. Dont forget Germany!
<<

Killer!!

Sword Fighter

Post 21 Feb 2017, 17:04

The first question I have is "what will the captain choice be based on?".
Will the organizers pick people who are the most active from every nation?/ The most involved with the tournament?/...?

And will the captain have to choose new people for every game? Or will he have to select one team which lasts for the whole tournament?

I always love to see new attempts for tournaments, but yeah.... :p
As all know tournaments haven't been very successful over the last few years.

Still excited to see where this is going :)
Do you want to play with/against me? Just write me a PM :D
<<

Tiank

Knight

Post 22 Feb 2017, 10:55

Natonial Cup is interesting idea, but why not make teams regardless of nationality? Should be more teams then.
Without honour, victory is hollow.
<<

Jeronimo

Knight

Post 22 Feb 2017, 16:25

This is more viable to me: Separate all signed players in 4 big teams (considering "player skills", regardless of nations).
Simplest format ever: Team A vs Team B / Team C vs Team D-> The winner teams advance and play Finals.

The way both teams fight each other is up to members, can be 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 4v4.
Map pool will offer 3 possible choices for each set (12 maps in total).
Each member has 1 life, if one loses in a match, he must wait and PRAY his alive teammates can beat the rival team.

Example: Team A has 5 members (4 guys + Ben). Team B has 5 members.
Team A plays vs Team B in 4v4 match (without Ben). Team A loses.
Ben, last member of Team A, will have to beat the 5 members of Team B in 5 matches 1v1 so Team A can pass to Finals.
Will Ben be able to win 5 duels in a row?
KaM Skill Level: Jeronimo
<<

sado1

Council Member

Post 26 Feb 2017, 22:28

The first question I have is "what will the captain choice be based on?".
Will the organizers pick people who are the most active from every nation?/ The most involved with the tournament?/...?
I thought about picking the best possible player, based on two factors: player skill and amount of TS activity. Default choices for every country are kinda obvious, but I'm not sure whether some of them will want to play.
And will the captain have to choose new people for every game? Or will he have to select one team which lasts for the whole tournament?
Every single game, he can pick any players he wants. This is the main idea, to eliminate the problem of players who can't play in a game every single day in 2 weeks time...
Natonial Cup is interesting idea, but why not make teams regardless of nationality? Should be more teams then.
Of course, but how do you want to make people register reserve players, when they can form their own teams instead? One of previous tournaments allowed for each team to have a reserve player, and just a few teams used this option. Also, when reserves are not as good as main players, nobody will want to make them play in their own team, so they'll try to arrange a game with main players anyway.

Jero's idea is a bit overcomplicated. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to play in such a tournament, but good luck making people play this :(
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 27 Feb 2017, 20:58

So basically it will be the same 4v4 every time?
<<

thunder

Moorbach's Guard

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 16 Jul 2017, 12:38

How is the organizating? Is there any chance there be a kind of international tournament?
At the end of summer could start something somehow. Or not? A kind of 2v2 'powah tour' with teams where the palyers're from the same country.
16 or 32 teams wiith looser bracket. As I see there could be many good quality teams.
<<

TheRagingBullet

Warrior

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 30 Jul 2017, 01:32

What about just a 1v1 round robin tournament.
This way you can just play vs someone who is online and you don't have to worry about setting a time to play your game.

Return to “Tournaments”