Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

bimdo

Peasant

Post 26 Oct 2015, 10:36

Re: Sound issues (installed openAL)

I'm not sure if us emailing Creative is going to help, I'm sure a lot of other people have tried that already.
From customers, yes but from developpers, I don't know because only few developpers use openAL today.

I think It's worth trying it to send a email from a developper.
<<

bimdo

Peasant

Post 26 Oct 2015, 10:38

- As a note, i do not use creatives drivers. I use PAX creative drivers.
He makes better drivers then creative itself and much much more stable.
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/community ... eries.181/
PAX drivers is based on creative drivers. majority of source code in pax drivers is the creative source code.
It's normal that pax driver have the same problem.
<<

Mangoara

Peasant

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 31 Oct 2015, 13:26

Creative released a new driver on 28 October but it doesn't fix anything KAM related, kinda disappointing haha. It does fix many issues i had with Windows 10 tho :).
Your post with the OpenAL dll file worked great for KAM and now I dont have to use my onboard realtek sound card anymore! Thank you.
<<

thibmo

Council Member

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 09 Dec 2015, 11:10

Maybe worth to put this in a small news message on the website of KMR.
Might solve future questions. :)
Also, about PAX is true, they have "patched" drivers which have most of the original driver source.
Might be worth checking one's source and locate the issue to report it back to the developers, I am sure they will fix it then, as you basically give them the fix. (Don't expect and thanks/credits, though, they rarely give any.)
~~ The magic wizard of PascalScriptus. ~~

KP-Wiki :
  • Information about Knights Province scripting ( unofficial )
  • Information about several hosting/server maintenance basics
  • Other random stuff
<<

DAOWAce

Serf

Post 20 Jun 2016, 23:54

Wow, I've had this problem for the last year or so; can't quite remember when it started. I just remember loading one of my saves and it not playing sounds.

IIRC, a new map worked fine, but I could be entirely mistaken as it's been a long time since I last played.

Maybe this actually happened with my switch to Windows 7 (from Vista) and installing newer drivers. I also made a switch from the XtremeGamer to a Titanium card (PCI -> PCI-E). Bought their new card (SoundBlaster Z) but it was god awful; made the sound warmer and had a WORSE volume normalization implementation compared to older cards (nowhere near as bad as the Xonar Essence STX which I wasted $200 on). Driver package and compatibility may have been better, but the control panel was bloated crap and I just hated it after using the old one for 8 years (change is bad).

All this time, it was Creative being god awful and breaking OpenAL functions. Typical.

Could've sworn I had OpenAL_Soft.. maybe it was on my prior OS. Current version installed is 6.14.357.25.

Time to try it and see if it works..

Edit: OpenAL Soft seems to work. What issues it's brought, I don't know, but KnM is working fine again. Time will test it in other applications..
<<

Soulbanisher

Peasant

Post 08 Feb 2017, 21:20

I have bought Knights & Merchants on steam and I think like most people I downloaded Kam remake. I merged them together but the sounds the units make when you click on them or when you order the soldiers, they don't make a sound.

Anyone know what file(s) is/are missing or know a solution?
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 08 Feb 2017, 23:29

Did you install oalinst? Run the file in your remake directory called oalinst.exe and see if that helps.

Also, you don't need to (and probably shouldn't) install KaM Remake in your KamTPR directory.
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Soulbanisher

Peasant

Post 10 Feb 2017, 15:37

Oalinst was installed but it was the fact that I merged KaM Remake with the steam version that caused the problem.
Steam doesn't want to return the money to my steam-wallet I spend on buying KaM because I already played 32 hours.
But I already explained them those 32 hours is from playing KaM Remake cause the steam version doesn't even work on it's own.
In the second mission, it crashes all the time.

Thanks for the info Ben!
<<

DAOWAce

Serf

Post 06 Apr 2019, 15:43

Small update after all these years.

Creative released new drivers for the old X-Fi Titanium cards on March 21 (2019).

These drivers do not fix the OpenAL issue. OpenALSoft is still required to get the game audio working properly.

*thumbs up* for doing nothing, Creative. There's not even an uninstaller entry to remove the drivers on Windows 10 either!
<<

DDK306CZ

Peasant

Post 24 Nov 2020, 15:48

This also happend to me. KaM bought on steam + Kam Remake installed. After approx 15 seconds of game runnig sound effects (units, buildings, messages) dissapeard. Music still working.

I installed the file "oalinst.exe" - no effect, tried to reinstall Kam Remake - no effect.

What worked for me was change the settings - instead of "Fullscreen" option now I have a standard window ("Fullscreen" option disabled) and magically sound are now working just fine again.
<<

can

Peasant

Post 17 Jan 2021, 07:15

Hey guys, I also have the same issue. KAM gives me a error message when I start it. saying ''OpenAL device could not opened'' I installed oanlist in the KAM and tried to install it from possible every other wepsite. I tried most of the solutions you mention but I couldnt make it work :(. The music plays but when you click on soldires etc there is no sound. Can anyone help ?

Return to “Bugs”