Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

I'm a beginning player and would love some feedback!

<<

Szeyu

Peasant

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 24 Mar 2016, 19:39

I'm a beginning player and would love some feedback!

Hi all!

I'm a beginning player from the Netherlands, and I'd like to become better. I first played KAM when I was about 7 or so and the love for the game never died (although I played really bad at the time :P). The multiplayer games that I watched as shoutcasts on youtube look really fun, so I'd like to try multiplayer after I improve my gameplay.

This game is one of the first games where I tried to build the way I saw experienced players build online. Apart from a mistake where I trained 2 recruitements in the beginning (fail.) and the hunger in the later game I feel like this game was a big improvement on my previous attemps. I would love it if I got some feedback!

This game was played against AI on the Wilderness map. I chose to start at the easy location.

Greetings,
Szeyu

PS. I hope I uploaded the replay correctly!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Chris

Militia

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 26 Mar 2016, 14:46

Re: I'm a beginning player and would love some feedback!

We already spoke some yesterday on TS, but here are some basic tips.
For every 2 woodcutters, make 1 sawmill.
A mill needs 1 farm, a pigfarm 1,5 and a stable needs 2 farms.
Start training recruits 20 minutes before peacetime or else they get hungry.
Make a coalmine for every coal consuming building (+ 1 to have some extra)
Try to watch To's 40-40 build , you can build like this on almost any map.
The clown formerly known as Fu
<<

Szeyu

Peasant

Post 28 Mar 2016, 22:22

Thanks for the tips! :) My farms are working a lot better now. I'm trying to keep track of the wood supply, but I sometimes still have a shortage.. So I'm trying to improve by playing :) I think I'm getting the hang of it, but I need to practise it more.

I also have an iron shortage sometimes, how many iron smelters do you need for iron mines? I thought 1 iron mine could supply 2 smelters, but it seemed like it was backwards (2 mines for 1 smelter; or maybe 3 mines for 2 smelters?). And how many smelters can keep up with how many iron consuming buildings?

I tried to find the 40-40 build, but I couldn't find it! Is it on youtube or on the forums?
<<

Killer!!

Sword Fighter

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 28 Mar 2016, 22:44

Hey Szeyu,

About your iron question, usually we have 1 iron mine for each smelter.
This is not 100% efficient since the smelter works a little faster than the miner, but we almost all use this as our "guideline".

Now for the production of weapons it's a little different. It all depends about what kind of units you'd like to make.
Let me give you a small overview how we are used to do it.

Swordman production: 3 iron mines -> 3 iron smelters -> 2 armour smiths + 1 weapon smithy ( +1 extra if your sword production is far behind)

Pike/xbow production: 3 iron mines -> 3 smelters -> 2 armour smiths + 2 weapon smiths

Basically 1 smelter provides a little more than 1 smith needs, but not enough for 2.

I believe our good friend Sado posted a "building tutorial" somewhere here on the forum. Could be nice to take a look at what he wrote there.

Last thing about the 40-40 build, it's a youtube video on To's (Leeuwgie's) yt channel which has the name "How to keep it small" I am sure it isn't hard to find.

Gl!
Siem
Do you want to play with/against me? Just write me a PM :D
<<

Szeyu

Peasant

Post 29 Mar 2016, 21:34

Thank you!

I'm quite happy with my improvements!

Edit: I also found the youtubevideo :) I love the shoutcasts!
<<

folleyc

Peasant

Post 30 Mar 2016, 23:42

Thank you!

Well congratulations I will be more happy with your achievements.

Last edited by folleyc on 04 Apr 2016, 01:22, edited 1 time in total.
<<

thunder

Moorbach's Guard

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 31 Mar 2016, 12:26

Thank you!

Hey!
Nice start in multiplayer mode! Grat!
Just one sentece to the picture, okay maybe a bit more. Your barrack placement is unusual on that location. Would be more effective if you place it somewhere around the stable is now next to the iron production. Tha would give less walking distances for the serfs so they would have time to carry other jobs. Less walking time, less serfs an less serfs need less food.
Anyway I see one advantage of that barrack placement, call it the serfs pick up the nearest job. And the food is important or usualy should have high priority in the games for the countinous production. (Anyway Is this function still there? Pick up the nearest job) I use to put my barrack(-s) somewhere next to/near to the farms.
You'd able to save more timber for wooden weapons if not build up unnecesarry towers. Do it only if you have enough wood in the productionline.

Have fun for the next games! :wink:
t

Return to “Game replays”