<<

William_AiJiyao

Laborer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 15 Jan 2015, 23:31

The Great Exploration ("Hostile World"), map released soon

MAP EDIT, 2ND VERSION

Hi folks,

as I could not use scripts for this map, I modified it so it doesn't need any. Here are the details. How do you think?
Sorry for not using IMGur as image host but the website is currently down.

The map is finished and will be released as soon as I made some tests. It shouldn't take too long!

THE MAP :

DESCRIPTION :
You start in the abandoned fortress. You have to explore the world and defeat all the villages and defend your territory against waves of attacks.
You have 11 independant enemies.

GOLD, COAL, IRON, STONES :
If you think there is not enough coal around your village I will add more.

SOME SCREENSHOTS :
THE START POSITION
It's an old fortress in which remains a small storehouse with only few items.

THE CAPITAL CITY
A big city in the centre of the map. It's well protected but you will find some flaws in the protection.

THE FOREST
A village hidden behind trees.

THE FORTRESS AND TH DAM
A big fortress in the middle of a green mountain.

THE DESERT AND THE FACTORIES
A hot desert. Their people found coal under the sand and built a factory. The first factory extracted all the coal available and is abandoned since then. Another one was built later.

THE SWAMP
A mysterious swamp that you will access after their people opened a path through the stones.

THE PORT
The port of the capital city. Villagers regularly travel from there to the city centre. You can get an advantage from it.

THE TEMPLE AND THE BLACK VILLAGE
A ancient temple and a mysterious dark village.

THE SNOW VILLAGE
A village covered with snow.

THE ISLANDS
A dozen of islands linked with each others.

TIPS :
Available soon

Please give me your feedback before I release the map!
Thanks!

Will
Last edited by William_AiJiyao on 09 Jul 2015, 20:09, edited 3 times in total.
<<

RandomLyrics

Sword Fighter

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 16 Jan 2015, 02:40

Re: Hostile world [screenshots available, scripts in progres

I like it! Love Island and the Dam :>
Tell more about it, what is the goal? Who are u / what units u control etc :) i just know some screens but nothing else about map :P
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

Post 16 Jan 2015, 05:53

The Islands portion is my favorite - very nice :)
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

Tiank

Knight

Post 16 Jan 2015, 08:45

I really like the map, even though I've seen only screenshots :). But it seems, you've put a lot of effort into it, so good job! Can't wait to see it finished :) You've got really good ideas about all the parts!

I really like the port part, your attention to details is great!

On the fortress and the dam part - is that a some kind of crystal in lower left corner? Interesting ;)
You can see the bridge on the top of the image, I'm not sure it's good-looking, maybe I should remove it, what do you guys think?
I think it looks good, don't remove it :)
Without honour, victory is hollow.
<<

William_AiJiyao

Laborer

Post 16 Jan 2015, 14:49

Thanks for your feedback!
I like it! Love Island and the Dam :>
Tell more about it, what is the goal? Who are u / what units u control etc :) i just know some screens but nothing else about map :P
Thanks RandomLyrics. The goal is really simple: destroy all the villages (11 independent AI). So far, I didn't really focus on the strategy, as the original purpose of this map was to be more like exploring than a real strategic mission. I will focus on it in the future.

I started a scenario though. All I can tell is that you start with only few serfs and masons, and you are hidden in a very little but protective fortress which you will first have to stay in to protect yourself against the first waves of attacks, but that you will have to leave as time pass, to expand your territory.
I can also tell that the gold and most of the coal spots close to your village belong to another village, so the sooner you destroy it, the bigger amount of resources will remain for you, as they are already extracting it at the beginning of the mission. If you are too late, your enemy will have extracted all the resources, and you'll have to defend yourself only with leather equipments till you can reach farther spots.
The Islands portion is my favorite - very nice :)
Thanks Krom. I'm not sure it's very convenient to fight there as there is few free space in that part. I haven't tried yet. But yeah it's visually nice :)
I really like the map, even though I've seen only screenshots :). But it seems, you've put a lot of effort into it, so good job! Can't wait to see it finished :) You've got really good ideas about all the parts!

I really like the port part, your attention to details is great!

On the fortress and the dam part - is that a some kind of crystal in lower left corner? Interesting ;)
You can see the bridge on the top of the image, I'm not sure it's good-looking, maybe I should remove it, what do you guys think?
I think it looks good, don't remove it :)
Thanks Tiank. Yea these are kind of magic crystals, just for fun :), the tile used for it is a waterfall tile, so the effect it makes is that the crystal is animated. OK for the island bridge!

Actually I think I will update my first post and release the entire map, so you will be able to comment it and participate to improve it :) Wait a moment.
<<

RandomLyrics

Sword Fighter

Post 16 Jan 2015, 15:12

I was thinking about this map like a strategic RPG, u have small town ( producing only few warriors ) one hero, main goal is to defeat 6 of 11 AIs, to do it ull need help of some 3,4 AIs, to receive that help u have to do quest for each town u like to join u. For example if u cross Capitol City's border with your hero u get message with quest "we have trouble with bandtis in the south, kill them and we be able to support your cause", after finishing quest, capitol city gives u 15 knights or something like that :P
Or it could be great map for RPG , one hero making quests and reveals mystery story leading you to final quest :) ( but that will take a lot of work :D )
<<

William_AiJiyao

Laborer

Post 16 Jan 2015, 16:02

@RandomLyrics, you're right, that would be great! I used to think about it and have quite a few ideas of quests (fight against bandits as u said, steal storehouse resources and bring it to your village without being killed, reach a position in a limit of time, find an object hidden somewhere in the map, etc...), a kind of GTA style KaM, not for the atmosphere, but in terms of open world, quests, enem become allies, allies become enemies, the hero has to go back to his headquarters or to some places to find some quests... :) I also thought of a warrior fighting against a knight, and if he wins, he can steal his horse and become a knight. Maybe controlling the hero using the keyboard arrows would be better also, etc... But I don't know how to script so I guess it must be very hard (maybe some parts would be impossible) and time-consuming! But if someone can help I'd be ok to work for it!

In any case, even using quests, I'd still like to keep this original KaM atmosphere in which the main purpose is still to create and expand a town to defeat an enemy. In my opinion, a mix of KaM and RPG would be great.

To make it even better, the map should be bigger. I wonder whether we can extend the size of the map using some kind of scripts..

Thanks for the idea!
<<

William_AiJiyao

Laborer

Post 19 Jan 2015, 22:43

Hi all!

Here's the whole map, feel free to comment and give suggestions! The scripts are still in progress. I think this mission will not be RPG-style as it was originally not made for it, but more like a normal KaM mission. Once I finished my current KaM projects, I may design another map that would be more suitable for a RPG-like mission.

FINAL MAP (you should double zoom in to see clearly):

MAP DESCRIPTION :
- You start in the bottom center of the map, in a fortress that is too small but very protective. Few iron is available there.
- On your left, the COAL VILLAGE. They own the gold mine and most of the coal that are the closest to your village. You may destroy this village as quickly as possible unless you want to begin your journey with leather units.
- As you can see, your village and the COAL VILLAGE are surrounded by mountains, except a path leading to the capital city. This path will be the border of your village till the end of the mission, once you first got rid of the COAL VILLAGE.
- When you start to explore the world, you have few choices: go left and reach the PORT, go straight ahead and attack the CAPITAL CITY, go right and reach the QUARRY, go right & down to go to the FOREST VILLAGE, or explore the ISLANDS. Note that the TEMPLE at the bottom left is unreachable at the beginning (you have to wait till their quarry opens a path, which may take several hours).
- The north part of the map can be reached either by going through the CAPITAL CITY or the DESERT. If you choose the second way, note that the QUARRY blocks the path to the DESERT. Choose to let them open the path (takes few hours) or make this QUARRY yours and open the path by yourself.
- When in the North, you can go to the FORTRESS then the GOLD MINES, or walk toward the SNOW VILLAGE.

MISSION DESCRIPTION:
- You start with few labours and serfs, and no army. Enemies planned to attack soon, so build a small army strong enough to protect your fortress.
- The COAL VILLAGE is extracting gold and coal, stop them asap.
- Protect your village against the different waves of attacks, and destroy all the villages around you.
- I'll try to provide all the villages their own particularity: aggressive/self-protective/strong/weak. Villages in the North may be more difficult to beat as it takes a longer time to go there, so remember to send troops that won't be hungry when they attack, as your serfs may not come and feed them on time!

FEW MORE SCREENSHOTS:
Your start position, the small fortress, you'll have to build your village in this small area before extending it.

The fortress in the Desert

Another image of the Fortress, there are kind of crystals indeed :) I don't why they are there though!

The Capital City, its gardens and the storage place with the broken bridge

Another image of the black Temple

The Quarry

Islands

What do you think?
<<

Michalpl

Sword Fighter

Post 20 Jan 2015, 11:31

Re: Hostile world [update:whole map available, script unfnis

Looks great so far I like it
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

Post 20 Jan 2015, 12:24

I like the way you work with heights and blackness to produce these 3D volume looks :)
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

Tiank

Knight

Post 20 Jan 2015, 14:17

What do I think? I think it's awesome. Really. Great ideas and really good looks, great work again! :)
Without honour, victory is hollow.
<<

RandomLyrics

Sword Fighter

Post 20 Jan 2015, 14:41

Agree, looks great and these terrain ideas awesome :) not all but generally + :)
Hmm maybe capturing villages for your own will be better than destroying them?
If ull make another Port in the north ull be able to move Armies through ports by script ( it will save a lot of players time ).
It very nice map with a lot of mission possibilities :D
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 20 Jan 2015, 15:56

Very interesting map, I like the amount of work you put into it. :)
If ull make another Port in the north ull be able to move Armies through ports by script ( it will save a lot of players time ).
Who's ull? :)
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 20 Jan 2015, 16:09

Hmmmmm makes me want to play Zelda :)
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

RandomLyrics

Sword Fighter

Post 21 Jan 2015, 02:53

Very interesting map, I like the amount of work you put into it. :)
Who's ull? :)
hehe my poor eng. 'you will' xD ull realy is a mammoth

Return to “Map Design”